• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

I was looking at canadian tire for some hooks to hang 7-10 rods in my garage and couldn't find anything that seemed suitable. They were all either way too big or way too expensive and decorative. I know a few members on the forum hang rods in their garage, any chance I can get some pics of your setup and where you bought your hooks? Rod lengths range from 6' -13'4 with the possibility of longer rods in the future.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

#2 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Just saw float drifters nail setup, that seems like the most practical option. No need for hooks unless of course someone has a creative idea.

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hey Nado, I don't have a garage but am thinking of doing the same type of thing in my "fishing room." I've been trying to think of something I can make myself. I interested in hearing any ideas from others too. I will build something, I'm pretty handy. But yes if someone has any ideas that would help with my project and yours, I hope we will see something here, maybe even a few pics?

Alfie.

#4 Nismojunky

Nismojunky

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

ill take a picture of my setup tomorrow when im out getting the canoe ready

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Something you can add to the nail approach is to cover the nail with gas line or surgical tubing to protect your rods. You can also use old stick pens with the ink cartridge removed to protect your rods.

#6 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Would love to see the pic Nismo :) I've been thinking about building something for either the celing or the a wall in my room in the basement. I was thinking like how on the fishing boats they have those rubber slots for the rods, i want some of those attach to them to a peice of wood and stick the rods in that way. it would great from the celing because i can make 2 boxes wide enough to fit them all, but for the wall and have them runing length wise would be a bit different though because than i would need a latch type system to keep the rods all from falling down.

#7 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

@Nado
- You can easily pick up some thick tubing from Home Depot for pennies... Electrical section should have plenty.
What I did was simply use a lot of hockey tape on the nails..it acts almost like a cushion.. lol

#8 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Ya im thinking I like the nail idea over the tubing as the tubing would have to be pretty wide to fit some of the larger guides. I also overlooked a window/door/rack on the side of the garage I was thinking of installing this in. I was hoping to have space to hang long float rods to make sure they dry out properly between uses and just so they look nice. Would hanging my rods in the sun cause damage to them?

#9 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Ya im thinking I like the nail idea over the tubing as the tubing would have to be pretty wide to fit some of the larger guides. I also overlooked a window/door/rack on the side of the garage I was thinking of installing this in. I was hoping to have space to hang long float rods to make sure they dry out properly between uses and just so they look nice. Would hanging my rods in the sun cause damage to them?

Hey Nado

Where exactly are you planning to "hang" your rods? Are you looking for horizontal/vertical wall mount? Do you collapse your rods?
I went to Dollarama and got a pack of velcro straps that I put on the rod handle, when I take my rods apart I use the velcro to keep the tip next to the handle. I don't think you can make it out in the pic. But this is my ceiling mount, nothing pretty just fast and cheap. Mine cost me about $20 and 1 hour to build. I was too lazy to get out my router and make something decent. Let me know what your plan is.

http://i1231.photobu...lingRodRack.jpg

#10 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

where did u get the clamps you used there? Do the ones closer to the tip have an opening?

#11 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

where did u get the clamps you used there? Do the ones closer to the tip have an opening?

I used electrical conduit clamps to hold the butt end. For the tips I used my dremel and cut about 1/3 of the smaller clamps. Since there is little weight of the rods, one screw is good enough to hold it in place. For the wood I just used cheap 1x2 spruce strapping. Then I screwed the whole thing onto the floor joists. I can reach up and get my gear and there's enough clearance for me to walk under it, anyone over 6' will hit it though.....lol.

#12 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

my garage wall took me 30 min to make components : peace of plywood, concrete nails and spike nails its not pretty but it holds my rods :grin:

#13 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

If I was to make a horizontal wall mount, I would copy the pattern of the old rifle racks. This is back in the old days when you did'nt have to have them locked up. You can get sheets of stick on felt and cut to length to protect your rods.

Does anyone have a good way to store rods overhead in a SUV? I made one for my Pathfinder, not easy to get the rods in but once in they never moved. I'm gonna put my CRV on the road soon and need to come up with a better method to store 4-5 rods.

#14 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hey Nado

Where exactly are you planning to "hang" your rods? Are you looking for horizontal/vertical wall mount? Do you collapse your rods?
I went to Dollarama and got a pack of velcro straps that I put on the rod handle, when I take my rods apart I use the velcro to keep the tip next to the handle. I don't think you can make it out in the pic. But this is my ceiling mount, nothing pretty just fast and cheap. Mine cost me about $20 and 1 hour to build. I was too lazy to get out my router and make something decent. Let me know what your plan is.

http://i1231.photobu...lingRodRack.jpg

That IS SUCH a better Idea than what i was thinking. Sooooo much cleaner and neater as well. I hope you don't mind but I am so going to make mine like that :D That could even work for a wall mount in my room. I havent decided if I wanted wall or ceiling yet. i am over 6' but we dont have a sub floor, just concrete and carpet in my room haha. Thank you for that picture!!! :D

#15 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

That IS SUCH a better Idea than what i was thinking. Sooooo much cleaner and neater as well. I hope you don't mind but I am so going to make mine like that :D That could even work for a wall mount in my room. I havent decided if I wanted wall or ceiling yet. i am over 6' but we dont have a sub floor, just concrete and carpet in my room haha. Thank you for that picture!!! :D

NP bud. You can get stick on felt at Rona. Cut to size and stick on inside of conduit to protect rods from scratches, but not necessary b/c the conduit clamps are plastic. For a wall mount I'd want the rods to hang away from the wall so that the reel is not in contact with the wall. I'll draw one up soon. I have made and sold the floor standing rod holders, but for my place they tend to take up too much floor space.

ABS pipe comes in handy too if you have some left over, or get a small piece. Use it to make a vertical wall mount holder.

#16 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

NP bud. You can get stick on felt at Rona. Cut to size and stick on inside of conduit to protect rods from scratches, but not necessary b/c the conduit clamps are plastic. For a wall mount I'd want the rods to hang away from the wall so that the reel is not in contact with the wall. I'll draw one up soon. I have made and sold the floor standing rod holders, but for my place they tend to take up too much floor space.

ABS pipe comes in handy too if you have some left over, or get a small piece. Use it to make a vertical wall mount holder.

#17 GBW

GBW

Sunfish

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have see this before and it's easy to make.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thats a money set up right there!!! Thats what I was kinda thinking as well, but the other one looks easier. but I don't know which one to do. Guess we will see when ever i make mine. :)

#19 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

ya im thinking something similar to Grubmans setup as I dont have the space I thought I would on the wall. I need to get the rods out of the house soon though, the girlfriend is getting impatient lol.

#20 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

haha...gf's, what are they really good for? complaining, nagging, maybe cooking depending on who the better cook is? haha