20 replies to this topic

#1 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

Good day all, how goes the battle?

I'm David, 34 and live in Kitchener. Been fishing all my life but have always treated it as just a get away from the concrete jungle and never really payed much attention to tips/thoughts/ideas on how to improve my trips out. Don't get me wrong, even tho I was never "into" applying actual fishing knowledge I'd try different things that I thought would work and had some success and more then some anti-success lol.

That all changed last year (like a clock going off in my melon), I started to pick my cousin's (more like a brother) brain and started to talk to more fellow fisherman out on the waterways, sharing information to both gain fishing knowledge AND more so, a more fulfilling outing and enjoyment of a sport that has always held a special place in my heart. Then I joined OFF and have taken my love for this sport to a whole new level, I've learned so much from this site already and hopefully I have helped others in their quest for knowledge.

My wife used to hate fishing until she met me, 7 years later and she is instigates getting her fishing license (even went with a 3 yr this year lol), she for the first time last Sat put a worm on her own hook (I nearly shed a tear), she has already made it clear that I will be taking her out this year for trout open and the salmon run as learning trips because she wants to understand the difference between current and bite when bottom bouncing, she wants to be able to walk a creek or river and sight fish with ease. My kidlets love to fish (lose interest without the bites lol) and if you ask my son what kind of fish he wants to catch, he'll look you in your eyes and say "I want to catch a Musky, because I like fish with teeth" yet another tear lol. My stepdaughter hated eating fish (fish and chips, fish sticks etc..) until my cousin and I made her a crappie and perch fish Fry and now she requests fish fry's on the regular lol.

I'm not sure if most of this makes sense, I've had 2 hours sleep in the last 2 days but everything seems legit lol

I look forward to sharing information and doing some fishing trips with members as sometimes it's not just the act of fishing but the brotherhood and friendship that completes a day out, fish or skunked..

#2 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Duh me lol..

Born and raised in Cambridge so I've fished the Speed and Grand rivers quite abit, Bloomingdale ponds, Bronte, Big creek (shhh lol), Nith and Conestogo rivers abit, whirlpool at the Falls and any little patch of water that could hold fish lol. I only have one favorite fish and my username says it all!

#3 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Welcome aboard!!!!

Now tell me all your pike secrets! lol.

#4 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Welcome aboard!!!!

Now tell me all your pike secrets! lol.

OK ready?

Sometimes they bite, sometimes they dont

Shhhhh, that's just between you and me lol

#5 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Well Pike, glad you finally gave us an introduction. It brought a smile to facing reading all of that about your wife, son, step daughter, it really did. espically to hear of someones significant other getting soooo envolved with something and becomming hooked like she is. that is a realll keeper you got there bud.

I really enjoyed your tips on pike btw, ill have to keep that in mind hehe

#6 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

I've really been impressed with how my family has taken an interest in a passion of mine, my stepdaughter has never seen a deer in the Wild before and has taken a whole new interest in nature as a whole, I told her if she comes out with me more the chances of seeing actual wildlife grow. Just last year she saw her first wild turkeys when we were out fishing and that has really stuck with her, she even wanted a new camera for Xmas so she can make a scrapbook of nature.

And just remember that that pike tip will always work more or less lol..

#7 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

OK ready?

Sometimes they bite, sometimes they dont

Shhhhh, that's just between you and me lol

Great advice, lol. I know that all too well.

Great to see your getting your family involved! Thats very awesome!!!!

My girl and our kids fish with us as well, at least once or twice a week. When we aren't fishing, we do spend alot of time in nature.

I think you and I could both agree that its not only great bonding time, but a great experience for later in life.

Good on you for being a good parent, very admirable

#8 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

Awesome intro brother--welcome, we have many devoted "trash fish" experts here Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hope we'll see some reports soon,
cheers
CC

#9 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Awesome intro brother--welcome, we have many devoted "trash fish" experts here Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

cheers
CC

#10 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

cheers
CC

The only thing I'm not a fan of catching is catfish and probably chub/sinners, other then that tightness of the line and the thrill of the fight is what excites me, "trash fish" is my bread and butter tho? :lol:

Steelhead are one fish that I have never fished for but get the feeling from reading this forum that I'm missing out, I've watched enough youtube videos, seen enough pics and read enough tho to figure out that I'm wanting to target them this year, just not sure if my patience is ready or not lol.

Also, what would you suggest as a starter set for fly fishing for a person who isn't really cheap, not really frugal but pretty much broke lol..

Adios for now,
David

#11 aznsynaster3lg

aznsynaster3lg

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

welcome it's great that your family enjoys fishing too. I'm from Kitchener also there lots of local fishing you can do m personally I go to goderich south hampton area but i do lot of grand river fishing lots of pike some walleye and the odd brown lots of bass to but I dont target them if you ever want to go out on an outing on the grand or just looking for some local spots jut pm me cheers

#12 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

welcome it's great that your family enjoys fishing too. I'm from Kitchener also there lots of local fishing you can do m personally I go to goderich south hampton area but i do lot of grand river fishing lots of pike some walleye and the odd brown lots of bass to but I dont target them if you ever want to go out on an outing on the grand or just looking for some local spots jut pm me cheers

There's a patch of the grand, just bellow the Elora gorge that I used to fish with great success for pike, bass, carp, bookies and browns but they put a new bridge over that part of the Grand not too long ago. I didn't fish it last year as I figured it still could be spooked from all the construction, but I'm thinking of hitting it up this year as I believe it's been 2 years since the construction was completed, figure it should be long enough for the fish to come back. I also want to hit Bannister lake again, apparently the pike and crappie are back after a massive absence from the colbert construction.

#13 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

There's a patch of the grand, just bellow the Elora gorge that I used to fish with great success for pike, bass, carp, bookies and browns but they put a new bridge over that part of the Grand not too long ago. I didn't fish it last year as I figured it still could be spooked from all the construction, but I'm thinking of hitting it up this year as I believe it's been 2 years since the construction was completed, figure it should be long enough for the fish to come back. I also want to hit Bannister lake again, apparently the pike and crappie are back after a massive absence from the colbert construction.

Thats like Lyons Valley Park here in Oakville. They started construction on the Dundas St bridge back in 07' they ARE STILL working on expanding dundas. I think they still have a couple more years for everything. And thats right over 16 Mile Creek. I havent even bothered going down their because i was assuming the same thing that all the construction and adding in new footings for the like 150ft span from bridge to ground, that it was pointless going down their.

#14 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

If I was to fish ONE trib, which would/should it be?

Preferably one with trout and salmon that run it, I've fished Bronte, Big creek and the Grand but want to add more water to my destination list. Nattawasauga (total wrong spelling lol) is one that is tops of my list already.

#15 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

I don't know. I mainly fish bronte and the grand. Def going to the credit a couple times this year. People always talk about the credit, i dont know. lol

#16 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I'm trying Cootes Paradise for the first time tomorrow so I'm not really sure what to expect, all I know is that I have to stop at Sobeys and get corn before I venture down in the morning lol.

#17 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

By bookies, I'm thinking you mean Brookies? You have caught Brookies in the Grand?? Or something that runs into the Grand? I have fished the Grand up that way for years and never seen a Speck. Some of the streams that run into the Grand , yes. But the Grand is far to warm to support Specks. At least as far as I know.

Alfie.

#18 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

By bookies, I'm thinking you mean Brookies? You have caught Brookies in the Grand?? Or something that runs into the Grand? I have fished the Grand up that way for years and never seen a Speck. Some of the streams that run into the Grand , yes. But the Grand is far to warm to support Specks. At least as far as I know.

Alfie.

Brookies, yes.. Gotta love the "auto-correct" feature which I haven't been able to figure out how to turn off yet lol..

Below the Elora gorge before the town of Conestoga, the Grand has some small creeks/streams that branch off of it. The Brookies were few but I usually site fish pike and carp in that stretch, I know the "rapids" throughout that stretch hold the gold so to speak lol

#19 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

The only thing I'm not a fan of catching is catfish and probably chub/sinners, other then that tightness of the line and the thrill of the fight is what excites me, "trash fish" is my bread and butter tho? :lol:

Steelhead are one fish that I have never fished for but get the feeling from reading this forum that I'm missing out, I've watched enough youtube videos, seen enough pics and read enough tho to figure out that I'm wanting to target them this year, just not sure if my patience is ready or not lol.

Also, what would you suggest as a starter set for fly fishing for a person who isn't really cheap, not really frugal but pretty much broke lol..

Adios for now,
David

if you want to wear your arm out with fish get a drift rod.....if you wanna wear your arm out casting get a flyrod.

#20 PikeHunter

PikeHunter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

if you want to wear your arm out with fish get a drift rod.....if you wanna wear your arm out casting get a flyrod.

Eventually I'd like to add a float and fly setup to my arsenal, just need to start saving lol..

I'm not even looking top of the line, just something that I can afford to learn how to use.