• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Took my dog for a walk at the Don Valley Brick Works and found an old beat up butterfly net. I had some bread to feed the fish. When I was feeding the fish I saw a carp around 1 pound, tons of small sun fish and bullheads, and one sunfish that was about 8 inches tall. I came up with an idea after that, instead of taking the net the garbage from where it was left in the bushes, I put some bread in the net and kept catching fish after fish. I know it is not like fishing with a rod, but I enjoyed it. LOL people were looking at me, what is that guy doing! Especially I am playing with a child's net! Think I might head down with my rod and try it out. Cheers.

#2 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

LOL people were looking at me, what is that guy doing! Especially I am playing with a child's net! Think I might head down with my rod and try it out. Cheers.

Good for you! Doesn't matter what you think other people are thinking... all that matters is fun! :D

#3 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

I came up with an idea after that, instead of taking the net the garbage from where it was left in the bushes, I put some bread in the net and kept catching fish after fish. I know it is not like fishing with a rod, but I enjoyed it. LOL people were looking at me, what is that guy doing! Especially I am playing with a child's net! Think I might head down with my rod and try it out. Cheers.

I don't think netting catching fish by a net is legal, unless they are minnows

#4 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Recreational Fishing Regulations 2012 pg. 11

NON-ANGLING METHODS OF CAPTURING FISH

Residents and non-Canadian residents with a valid recreational fishing licence may fish with one dip net, one seine net, one spear or a bow and arrow for the species and during the periods outlined below.

Dip nets maybe no more than 183 cm (6 ft.) on each side if square, or 183 cm (6 ft.) in diameter, if circular.

Bowfin

Bow and arrow

(during daylight hours only)

Carp

Bow and arrow, spear and dip net (during daylight hours only)

Smelt

Dip net and seine (day or night)

WhiteSucker

Bow and arrow, spear and dip net (during daylight hours only)

LakeWhitefish

Dip net (day or night)

LakeHerring

Dip net (day or night)

SEASONS – ZONES – LIMITS are listed on the PAGE

(Cant copy and paste from the PDF)

#5 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Wait, who is right, Blair or getin? Thanks.

#6 --G--

--G--

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Wait, who is right, Blair or getin? Thanks.

Blair :smile:

#7 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Blair :smile:

YAY! Not going to jail!!!!! :mrgreen:

#8 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for making that clear. I was told that catching by net is for tackles shops with special permit only. Should have done my research before commenting :-)

#9 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

No problem.

#10 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

No problem.

Were you able to net that small carp or one of his friends?

#11 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

Were you able to net that small carp or one of his friends?

Nah, he never came close enough! Pretty much all I was able to catch was bullhead.

#12 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Nah, he never came close enough! Pretty much all I was able to catch was bullhead.

Darn bullhead, if I had to name the most annoying thing to catch it's bullhead. Probrably because I've been stabbed more than once by their sharp pectoral spines :( look out!

#13 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Darn bullhead, if I had to name the most annoying thing to catch it's bullhead. Probrably because I've been stabbed more than once by their sharp pectoral spines :( look out!

I don't even bother getting close to them. I use long nose pliers and grab the hook. Only been stabbed once as a kid and I learned.

#14 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Cmon guys lol theres no reason to be scared of bullhead. Just handle them with care and you wont get poked!

Im going to have to try eating them one day, I hear they are quite tasty and they are so abundant in Ontario. I caught one the other day on an aglia which I found to be quite surprising.

#15 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

I've eaten Brown bullhead and they taste fine. I caught the ones that I ate form a clean northern lake. I wouldn't try eating them from dirty stagnant water for fear that they may taste different. We caught hundreds in my teen years and released them all because of the looks of the pond where we caught them.

#16 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've eaten Brown bullhead and they taste fine. I caught the ones that I ate form a clean northern lake. I wouldn't try eating them from dirty stagnant water for fear that they may taste different. We caught hundreds in my teen years and released them all because of the looks of the pond where we caught them.

How did you clean it? Cheers.

#17 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

To clean the bullhead cut the skin around the head then pull the skin off using pliers, start at the head and pull towards the tail. next you can either gut it to remove the inners and cut out the fins and cut off the head or you can fillet it. I usually use filleting on larger fish , but the first method works well also. If you catch them in clean water than they taste great .

#18 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

To clean the bullhead cut the skin around the head then pull the skin off using pliers, start at the head and pull towards the tail. next you can either gut it to remove the inners and cut out the fins or you can fillet it. Iusually use filleting on larger fish , but the first method works well also. If you catch them in clean water than they taste great .

Cheers

#19 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

To clean the bullhead cut the skin around the head then pull the skin off using pliers, start at the head and pull towards the tail. next you can either gut it to remove the inners and cut out the fins and cut off the head or you can fillet it. I usually use filleting on larger fish , but the first method works well also. If you catch them in clean water than they taste great .

That settles it, now that I know how to clean one I have no excuse not to try them! By the end of the summer I WILL eat a Bullhead.

#20 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

That settles it, now that I know how to clean one I have no excuse not to try them! By the end of the summer I WILL eat a Bullhead.

Tell me how it goes, and if it goes well I will do it to! If you decide to do it, can you post some pictures of how to do it so I can learn? Thanks.