#1 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

Shot this last week, hopefully get a chance to go next few days. :-P

Posted Image

Point of entry is on the other side if anyone is wondering. Didn't go through due to hitting a couple ribs and getting lodged between them.

#2 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

Where was this? What did you do with the fish after?

#3 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

For NADO's question asked in another thread.

You can buy from a big store like Cabela's or Bass Pro but I bought my stuff from the US. Lots of stores aren't too great because they provide free shipping to US residents but either they won't ship here or it'll be too expensive to be worth it. The best shop I found was bowfishingextreme. Arrows are fairly cheap ($10 with arrowhead carp points), safety slides $3 each, spare retriever lines $10ish, retriever system around $80, etc. Shipping comes out to around $40 so as long as you order all the things you'll need and some spares it'll be worth it still (spare arrows, spare points, line, etc).

As for bow, you can use pretty much any compound bow. They do have "bowfishing" models (just some blue paint on it lol. I got mine on archerytalk. It's a diamond razor edge (19-29" draw, 30-60lb). For a complete package it was $240 US, due to a store clearing it out, retail it's $330.

And no you don't need any other license. It falls under a fishing license. You also don't need a firearms license (PAL/POL/RPAL) to acquire & possess a bow (whether it's a longbow, recurve, compound, crossbow..). :smile:

EDIT: I thought it would be a good idea to include this in this post. If you attempt to get into the sport you must check with the law in the area you decide to bowfish. There may be a by-law in place restricting the discharge of a bow. Which usually is the case in major cities, and not usually smaller towns, but always be sure to check!

#4 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Where was this? What did you do with the fish after?

Was in Grey-Bruce county.

Also the water is really clean, as well as the fish not too large, so I ate it. Otherwise it may have been used for compost/fertilizer for the garden.

As for the taste, It actually wasn't too bad, but wasn't amazing either. I did make sure to get rid of the mud vein to avoid that supposed mud flavor LOL. Though it likely would help if knew a good recipe. <_<

#5 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for making this thread Yanni. I wish I remembered some of the stuff that was written in the other thread as it is now gone forever...maybe those posts can be put in this thread?

It would be a great idea for anglers across ontario to bow fish for invasives like carp and donate the remains to local farmers to ensure the meat isnt wasted. If you find a good recipe let me know!

#6 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

i hear pickled carp is good but never tried it

#7 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

It would be a great idea for anglers across ontario to bow fish for invasives like carp and donate the remains to local farmers to ensure the meat isnt wasted. If you find a good recipe let me know!

Yep, there is multiple alternatives if one doesn't like to eat fish or the fish they're targeting but want to enjoy the sport and ensure it isn't being wasted.

Give it away to someone who does, use as fertilizer, use as animal feed (I know of some people in the US who donate it to local Zoos, which saves them operating expenses), etc.. all of these and I'm sure other methods would require an alternative source anyways.

i hear pickled carp is good but never tried it

Never pickled anything before. If anyone knows an easy/good way to do it, we could share that idea!

#8 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I might have to look into the legality of discharging a bow in my area, although I imagine I would be hassled and heckled by everyone (and probably the police) if I started shooting carp with a bow.

#9 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Ya that’s the touchy part, cant just go to a community park and wield a deadly weapon....I’m sure any store that sells bows could shed some light on where it is and isn’t legal to use a bow.

#10 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for making this thread Yanni. I wish I remembered some of the stuff that was written in the other thread as it is now gone forever...maybe those posts can be put in this thread?

CARP ARE NOT F-ING INVASIVE!!!!!!!
bow hunting for fish is pathetic! how about catching them for the fight and just releasing them!?? with a rod and reel.....

*removed*

#11 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

bow hunting for fish is pathetic! how about catching them for the fight and just releasing them!?? with a rod and reel.....
*removed*

I share the opinion and passion for "catching fish" with a line and reel.

However, I also RESPECT the RIGHTS of those who are FOLLOWING the LAWS and REGULATIONS!

If you do not agree with these laws then we should voice our opinions too those who make the regulations.

Threatening VIOLENCE against others, is certainly NOT the SOLUTION!

I relise most of these type of comments are more "Huff & Puff" .... but there is no place for them on this site.

If someone is ENDANGERING you or others, I am all for whatever it takes (Reasonable Force) as a means of Protection.

Assualting others who are within their RIGHTS is not a cool thing at all.

Fishing has many differences of opinions, as do many things in life.
Many of the Rules and Regulations have changed over the years.
If a person is FOLLOWING the CURRENT regulations .... they are entitled to their privacy and liberties without persecution of others.

#12 JimCanuck

JimCanuck

Sunfish

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Carp, Chinook Salmon, Zebra Mussels, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Smelt .... all are invasive non-native species. What is your point?

*removed*.

That sounds like a indirect threat, are you sure you want to say that and not shut your mouth?

Jim

#13 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

*removed*

IF you want to have a rational discussion with others, that doesn't include emotional drivel, chest pumping, and ranting without any logic create a NEW thread and label it as such (ie. peoples stance on invasives). Nor is this a discussion on C&R, which would apply to all fishing. Then the rest of your post is simply threatening bodily harm to another person because you don't agree with them exercising their right to practice a legal activity that has been around for centuries.

#14 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

*removed*

Carp are certainly invasive. Government agencies have been known to make a few rules and regulations that are incorrect and their decision to categorize carp as "naturalized" was certainly one of them. If you talk to 90% of those who went to school for and work in the field of environmental management they will tell you the same thing. (thats where I get most of my information)

On a separate note you were way out of line yelling at the old man, you probably hurt his feelings as he likely enjoys talking to fellow anglers and there was no reason for you to talk to him like that. And the threat of breaking his bow......way out of line. Also, are you saying that 8 years ago you thought it was ok to beat up the elderly?

#15 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Went out for a little bit this evening, wasn't there long but managed to get one.

Posted Image[

#16 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

it was a nice mirror carp.

#17 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I can see the point of using a bow if you are starving and going to eat the fish, but just shooting the fish instead of developing real fishing skills seems like the cheaps and easy way out. Certainly doesnt fit into the skills being passed around on this forum. Please dont leave your clay moonshine jugs laying around on the shoreline when you are done playing bows and arrows.

You're a pathetic excuse for a fisherman.

#18 JimCanuck

JimCanuck

Sunfish

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Insults now? Fact is, people have been fishing with a bow longer then people have fished with rods. A difference of about 12-14,000 years.

I think your a sad individual for making assumptions on ones fishing skill level. I taught Yanni everything he knows about fishing over the years, and he can now not only out-fish me, but out-fish just about everyone we meet when we go fishing, regardless if its on a normal rod, fly rod, centerpin rod or now a bow. That is what being a fisherman is about, knowing how to catch fish regardless of the equipment at hand. <_<

Jim

#19 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

I can see the point of using a bow if you are starving and going to eat the fish, but just shooting the fish instead of developing real fishing skills seems like the cheaps and easy way out. Certainly doesnt fit into the skills being passed around on this forum. Please dont leave your clay moonshine jugs laying around on the shoreline when you are done playing bows and arrows.

More emotional drivel lacking any sort of logic. I've been fishing for plenty of different fish for over 20 years, and to say that it takes more skill is very ignorant(not saying one or the other takes more, they both have their differences in difficulty). Most fishing is simply having a proper setup (depending on method being used and fish targeted) and waiting for a bite. Then with a bow it's again waiting for a fish, however needing accuracy to aim without a sight and to compete against the refraction.

Plenty of assumptions being made, as well as insults. Evidently some people can't have a rational discussion due to getting caught up in their emotions and enjoy ignoring facts. As for fishing a certain way making someone pathetic, anyone can toss out their personal bias.. there are plenty of people who will say releasing or keeping a certain fish is wrong, fishing in general is wrong, hunting is wrong, etc etc etc. You may want to consider seeking help if something bothers you this much.

#20 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

As I mentioned earlier, EVERYONE has the RIGHT to ENJOY their LIBERTIES ....

and BOW FISHING is a legitamate method.

HOWEVER,

As ANYONE can SEE, this is a FISHING SITE - Not a HUNTING FORUM!

Using a BOW to FISH would/ should be classified as such.

There is CATCH, but absolutely 0% percentage of RELEASE with using a BOW.

By posting this KIND of METHOD on a site such as this .... I think your entitled to your opinion, but also "DELIBERATELY STIRRING THE POT"

I would suggest POSTING BOW HUNTING (Fishing) on a site that has and supports this type of endevour.

And please don't get all technical about logistics and definitions. (Thank you)

This site is dedicated to SPORT FISHING.

The current trend very much promotes a greater effort for CATCH & RELEASE.

I dont agree with the "NAME CALLING" and insults.

However, if your going to post material such as you have .... the "BACK LASH" is certainly understandable.

PLEASE STOP POSTING DEAD CARP (SHOT THROUGH WITH A BOW).

Lets see some great fish you have caught through the other methods, learned and used so well.

THANKS