• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jacky

Jacky

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

Is it unsafe to eat the fish from the Lake Ontaria? many people saying that. I am a new guy. Thx

#2 punkrockerpj

punkrockerpj

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

I wouldnt

#3 Jacky

Jacky

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:11 AM

even pike?

#4 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Neither would I !

#5 Yanni

Yanni

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Will you die? No. Could it pose some of a risk? Sure.

Are you just wanting to try what certain things taste like? Might be able to find them at certain markets, or catch them elsewhere. But if you're going to eat something, I think it would depend as well where from lake Ontario you're getting it (not that it should make a massive difference but some spots could potentially be worse), and if you are going to eat some try to eat the smaller fish and don't eat it consistently.

#6 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

Click on Forums in the upper left hand corner. Then look on the right hand side of the page. Under the heading Popular Links you will find the Guide to Eating Ontario Sport Fish. Click on it. Then you can check out safe consumption recommendations for various fish in our lakes and rivers.

#7 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

There was a good study and publication that came out just a few years ago (2009 - still very relative):

*Lake Ontario is the WORST - due to it being the final "basket" of all the Great Lakes
Lake Trout, Chinook Salmon and Carp are rated the highest in Contamination

http://environmental...009%20Final.pdf

UP TO THE GILLS

2009 Update on Pollution in Great Lakes Fish

Lake Ontario

The Lake Ontario basin is the most populated Great Lakes basin on the Canadian side of the lakes. The smallest Great Lake by total land drainage basin area (64,000 km2) and surface area, Lake Ontario has a relatively short retention period (six years). The vast majority of the water flowing into Lake Ontario comes from Lake Erie, with a small amount contributed by the basin tributaries. Lake Ontario is the final destination for water and contaminants as they exit the Great Lakes system through the St. Lawrence River. It is therefore strongly affected by upstream activities in the other Great Lakes.

Of the four lakes studied, the most severe fish advisories were found in Lake Ontario, including “zero consumption” advisories for large fish of almost every species, in every study region. Out of the 45 fish advisories examined on Lake Ontario, 34 had no change, and 40% of total fish advisories were for zero consumption. Between 2007 and 2009, six advisories became less severe, while four became more severe. However, from 2005 to 2009, increases and decreases in advisory limits were roughly even. The main constant is the extreme restrictiveness of the advisories, indicating high levels of contaminants.

Alarmingly, Lake Ontario “zero consumption” advisories are no longer reserved for the largest fish. Lake Trout, Chinook Salmon, and Carp have particularly strict advisories against their consumption, even for medium-sized fish. The Ontario Ministry of the Environment attributes the contamination mainly to dioxins and furans, with the exception of Walleye and Pike. For these two species, mercury was generally the consumption-limiting contaminant.

* I myself have only eaten about (3) fish in the past 5 years from Lake Ontario (1 Med Brown trout, 1 Steelie, and a Pike)
I have 2 eyes still... 10 fingers and 10 toes

*SMILES*

#8 Jacky

Jacky

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

thank you all, I see now

#9 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have a rule of thumb that I wont go on a fishing trip to lake ontario with the intention of keeping fish.

With that being said there ahve been a few occasions where I have kept fish. One time on a creek that rhymes with Monte I hooked a 2.5lb steelhead that was throat hooked and clearly not going to make it. I decided to take it home and not waste it and it ended up tasting great. I am sure it was polluted and not the greatest for me but I didnt want to just watch the fish float down river after I released it.

Definately dont make a habbit of it but once or twice wont hurt you.

#10 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Everyone is on par. Every run i keep one or two small steelhead. And Last summer downrigging for salmon I hooked up with a tiny guy. 3 or 4 lbs. Kept it and ate it. Delicious.

Not something you want to be doing all the time.

As long as you know how to clean fish.. 99% of contaminants are in the fat and organs and stuff.

#11 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Dude:
Stick to dried caplin: high in Om3

#12 Jacobus97

Jacobus97

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

the government puts out a booklet every year or couple of years and it breaks down on how many fish you can eat out of a certain area and of what lengths and species. It is a detailed book will a lot of helpful information.

#13 JimCanuck

JimCanuck

Sunfish

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

As long as they are under about 18" they are safe enough for the most part.

Fish like Pike, Brown Bullhead, Bass, Blue Gill, Pumpkinseed, Rock Bass and Yellow Perch are good to 8 meals a month per the guidelines from the tinyest ones to the largest (or up to 18" whichever is less).

http://www.downloads...KE43397919.html

Word of warning though, that guide, if it doesn't have a number in a box, it doesn't mean that its safe to eat as much as you want, it just means there is not enough data, and that they didn't test a large enough sample of them to be sure that its safe or not. The largest number of meals they recommend of any one fish is 8 meals a month.

Jim

#14 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

One thing not mentioned is Love Canal NY. It's still there, still leeching toxic material into the Niagara River and will continue to for decades to come. I recently saw a documentary about it and not much has changed. All the people who used to live there have been compensated and moved away long ago, but the buried industrial waste is still there. As it will never be cleaned up, Lake O fish should be considered not edible to all.

#15 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

HOOKER CHEMICAL .... remember that name?

Don't forget about the whole SARNIA CORIDOR.

Then there's all the Steel Plants. They didnt call the entire Great Lakes Region (Lower) the Rust Belt for nothing.

Most of the "Sludge/Slag" is very high in the heavy metals.

The price we paid for lots of Jobs and manufacturing.
I smilie when "We" start telling the rest of the developing world what THEY should DO.

History Repeats itself.

#16 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have a hard time bringing my self to eat fish out of Lake Superior never mind Lake Ontario! :wacko: