4 replies to this topic

#1 JimCanuck

JimCanuck

Sunfish

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

http://www.thestar.c...species-of-fish

Ip, described online as a “fish fanatic” who lives in Scarborough, has been charged in western New York with two felony counts and a misdemeanour count after he allegedly sold invasive snakehead, Asian arowana, and axolotl — a protected and endangered amphibian — knowing they would be illegally transported to New York.

In July 2011, Ip allegedly shipped a container with 26 giant snakehead fish to Amherst, N.Y. The package was intercepted at a border crossing in Buffalo, where Cottrell said he confiscated the fish — a notoriously violent predator, illegal to sell or possess in both Ontario and New York state.

So, if this guy had enough to sell to NY, I wonder how many were sold in Toronto?

Jim

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

I"m not sure he had enough to sell to NY, its just that those 3 animals are illegal in NY, axolotl's and arowana's are, to the best of my knowledge, legal here in Toronto.

New reports are hilarious, sure, he was doing something illegal, no problems with that. Giant snakehead ( channa something or rather ) are also known, or sold to customers in pet shops ( when they were legal here in Ontario a few years bak ) as RED snakeheads, you wouldn't see many places advertsing them as giant snakes heads, besides who wants a giant predator.. I DO! I remember being told that they sometimes come in on "accident" at these store :lol: Never got my snakehead. Oh and those 26 giant snakehead, I'm guessing, were neonates at a mere 4 inches, I may be wrong, who knows.

In the courts they'll find something wrong with the arrest/sting operation, he'll get off with a little fine, next day call all his customers, and apologize for the delay in snakehead shipments, refund some of there money and their shipments will be there in a week. 'round a 'round she goes!

#3 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:46 PM

This video shows two things here. How amazing the snakehead is, and what it would do to our bass fishery :lol APEX PREDATOR.

#4 mikea07

mikea07

Sunfish

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

I remember watching an episode of River Monsters about the Giant Snakehead. Vicious fish.

#5 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Anyone going to Africa? Can you bring back some baby Tigerfish and leave them in Lake O.........lol.. Send all the Zebra mussels and Gobies back to Europe. I want African fish invaders that can bite you back when you catch them.......lol.