• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cman

Cman

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I'm taking my son fishing next week at centennial park. Any fish in the pond there?......my son is very excited to go, hopefully we catch something.... a fish hopefully :]

#2 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have'nt been to Centennial Park sorry I could'nt help, but best of luck.

#3 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

I caught catfish from there, people say there's carp in there also.

#4 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

This was on another forum, but really does a GREAT JOB of helping out with some GREAT TIPS!

- USE WORMS and SMALL SET UP! (little hook, light line, small piece of worm, just one split shot sinker)

Here are a few tips for the "Don'ts" of fishing, or common mistakes made by less seasoned fisher-persons!

Don't use an over sized bobber for under sized bait and fish. The bobber should be big enough for the bait to stay suspended, but small enough to allow a baby bluegill to pull it under. Bobbers are a good way for kids to keep there attention on something, but it will will be frustrating when they don't catch much. The ole red and white bobbers should be the diameter of a quarter, not a tennis ball.

Don't use a snap swivel to put a hook on your line. Snap swivels have a time and place, they make lure replacemnet faster and will allow the kids to change baits themselves. I know it makes retying easy, but when you won't catching as many fish, it's frustrating. Fish can see it, you may catch the odd fish here and there but you will greatly increase the odds in your favor.

Don't use heavy line. Another common mistake is using 20lb mono for fishing 20oz fish. Fish can see the line. Also, heavy line becomes a burden to cast while using light tackle and weight. This tip will save years of frustration. 4-8lb test will suffice in most situations, depending where and what you're fishing for.

Don't use rods that are to big or too small. I find the "novelty" children's rods are too small to cast well and not very good for fighting fish. A decent ultralight is best. Ugly Stick makes them in pink, they are durable, they cast well enough and they come with a decent reel (spinning). There are other companies that make decent rods, I have this rod for my girls and it works well. I recommend changing the line from the stock stuff to a better mono or light braid.

Don't let kids in your tackle box. No other reason than they turn it upside down. Get them their own little tackle box and give them some retired or discount lures that they can call their own and experiment with. Trust me, your frustration level will go down...you will need it. It also keeps them occupied, and you can get a cast or two in. Go to the dollar store and get some glitter paint, stickers and magic markers and let them "personalize" it. It will give them pride of ownership. (Can you tell I have girls!)

Don't stay out too long, even if you are catching fish. Part of the allure of fishing is the anticipation, waiting to see the bobber go under the water. If kids start to get bored, you're gonna lose them as fishing partners, especially if your getting skunked. If you do get on a hot spot and they action is good, stay for a bit and then leave. Kids will get it in there head that every time they go fishing, the action should be as good as that time they caught 100 fish...even as adults we do the same thing.

Don't expect your kids to be as hardcore as you. Just as any sports parent wants their child to be the next Sid the Kid, Joey Bats or KVD, they may not like fishing as much as you. Try it out, if they like it great, if not, oh well. Their love for the outdoors may change down the road and they could become your best fishing buddy...but don't make them resent the outdoors forever because you want them to use a baitcaster before they can crawl.

Don't leave a kid (or adult) at home if they want go fishing. Not just your kid, any kid. There are a lot of kids who want to fish, but their parents may not know the first thing about it or have the means. So, offer to join them, offer guidance and offer your time. The most rewarding times I've been fishing are when I don't catch anything at all, but the child or adult I have taken, beams from ear to ear when they get their first good fish. It's awesome.

Take these DON'Ts and try them. Hopefully others can add to the Don'ts and we can get some more kids hooked up! Please feel free to add more to the thread.

Tight Lines!
The Dog

Update:

I would also add:

1. Use worms as much as possible. Keep it simple and easy
- I saw alot of people using lures or big plastics and they definately have a time and place.... but not for your average day out with the young ones.

It's also fun to go out at night (Afer the rain) and catch them on your own lawn or garden. Adds even more of a "punch" to the whole experience. Besides, when they get used to catching them (Worms) themselves - they get the FEEL for the WORM and seem to be less skitish about putting them on the hook themselves.

We all have experienced: Where can i buy some darn worms?

By catching them yourselves, you just put them in the fridge with some newspaper strips (Damp) and they will last for 2 months!
- Dont put in any dead ones or pieces

*Just make sure it's in a container you dont confuse as REAL FOOD! *SMILES*

Posted Today, 08:55 PM
Great advice KVD.

I prefer to teach the yourger ones with a decent push button bait caster to start them out. Lot less tangles then the spinning reel.

Make the fishing with young Kids thier time....teach them to always look behind and follow the hook and bobber to the water ( no blind casts to snag someone else )

We always take some munchies and some bottled water - and teach them where the garbage goes.

Picking your own worms the night before after wetting the grass is part of the experience for sure.

The attention span is usually short and often results in playing in the minnow bucket....so let them catch the bait themselfs for thier hook

I usually set the drag loose for a for good fight no matter what size of fish....peel 50yds....all the more fun.

Ask them to hold the fish for a picture and teach a proper release if your not keeping it.

I agree with keeping the time short...dont make it long and boring

Enjoy your time fishing with the young ones....no better experience for sure !!!!!!!

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Excellent advice for any parent wanting their child or children to enjoy fishing. Thanks for posting. I might add bring many snacks and if the kids get tired of fishing don't force them to continue, stop and do something else for a while.

#6 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

Posted Image
Fishing with this simple rig is a good way to start, using a worm as bait.
You'll probably catch some bullhead catfish so watch out for the dorsal fin which is said to be dangerous.

#7 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

Watch the shopping carts Posted Image
Then of course there is the remote chance you snag Jimmy Hoffa Posted Image

Best of luck with your boy!!! Hope he catches his fish!

CC