Photo

HELP ME DECIDE ON NEW SPIN REEL

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: HELP ME DECIDE ON NEW SPIN REEL (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following spinning reels would you choose/had good experience with?

1. Abu Garcia Revo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Pflueger President (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Pflueger Supreme (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Shimano [name model] (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

I am looking for a new reel for freshwater fishing in Southwestern Ontario. I have read a lot of conflicting reviews. I am torn between the reels I added to the poll... let me know which you would choose/had a good experience with.

• Abu Garcia Revo
  • Pflueger President
  • Pflueger Supreme
  • Shimano [name model]

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

I am looking for a new reel for freshwater fishing in Southwestern Ontario. I have read a lot of conflicting reviews. I am torn between the reels I added to the poll... let me know which you would choose/had a good experience with.

• Abu Garcia Revo
  • Pflueger President
  • Pflueger Supreme
  • Shimano [name model]

I got the president, smooth as silk. Holds up extremely well to a beating. I had other reels before, but I am now a Pflueger man

#3 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

• Abu Garcia Revo
  • Pflueger President
  • Pflueger Supreme
  • Shimano [name model]

You left out a few (deliberately?) makers like Mitchell, Browning, Diawa, unless you're not interested in them. You going for spinning or baitcasting? Most of mine are spinning, only have 1 baitcasting and that's a Rapala.

I have 4 Abus, didn't mean to be so brand loyal, just find they last along time and reasonably priced.

I think I have 2 Shimanos, great reels, really great. Only use one now, don't like the trigger models anymore, they wobble too much. Any non-trigger model is great.

Got a Mitchell Avocet II, very very smooth reel and drag is perfect too.

Have a Browning Ultra lite reel, is so sweet you have to floss after using it.........lol

Not too impressed with the low end Diawa I got, it's so unbalanced, it's like a manual earthquake.......lol.

Had so-so luck with Quantum and won't buy another one, the only reels to actually break on me.

Oh yeah, you're original question on Pflugers, try to read MichaelAngelo's topic on his reel, "Reel makes a bump" something like that. He was not impressed with it. I got 2 Pfluger fly reels and that's what they are best at and should probably stick to making those.

For spinning reels I'd go with 1st Shimano, 2nd Abu Garcia, 3rd Mitchell.

Hope this helps.

#4 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

I got the president, smooth as silk. Holds up extremely well to a beating. I had other reels before, but I am now a Pflueger man

I have read amazing reviews on the Pfluegers... seem to have the best bearings : price ratio.

#5 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

You left out a few (deliberately?) makers like Mitchell, Browning, Diawa, unless you're not interested in them. You going for spinning or baitcasting? Most of mine are spinning, only have 1 baitcasting and that's a Rapala.

I have 4 Abus, didn't mean to be so brand loyal, just find they last along time and reasonably priced.

I think I have 2 Shimanos, great reels, really great. Only use one now, don't like the trigger models anymore, they wobble too much. Any non-trigger model is great.

Have a Browning Ultra lite reel, is so sweet you have to floss after using it.........lol

Not too impressed with the low end Diawa I got, it's so unbalanced, it's like a manual earthquake.......lol.

Had so-so luck with Quantum and won't buy another one, the only reels to actually break on me.

Oh yeah, you're original question on Pflugers, try to read MichaelAngelo's topic on his reel, "Reel makes a bump" something like that. He was not impressed with it. I got 2 Pfluger fly reels and that's what they are best at and should probably stick to making those.

Hope this helps.

Hey,
It is a spinning reel that I am looking at... Baitcast still intimidates me a tad.

I left those brands out because I already own some spinning reels & 1 baitcast in those brands. The Mitchell spin reel I have is 'ok', nothing to write home about but gets the job done. I have a Mitchell baitcast as well... and to be honest, I have yet to try it out. But I will, SOON. Lol. Mitchell is now manufactured in China/Japan [boo!], whereas Pflueger is still in the US... this appeals to me. It is hard to find product without 'Made in China' on it these days, lol.

I must admint, I am disappointed to hear that about the Pfluegers though... everything I have read on them has been really good... and they seem to have the best bearing:price ratio. I will look up that read! Thanks! :)

I am a Browning fan [mostly for hunting gear], so I will take a look at their selection of reels as well!

And if in the end I am in doubt: I will always go with a Shimano! :)

Thanks for all the info... so helpful!

#6 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hope this helps.

...& yes! I have been eyeing the Abu Garcia Revo Spinning Reel...!

#7 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

hmmm I have been a Shimano man the past decade and no regrets, thus far

I also own Quantums and like em (had one small issue with one of em) but I have heard comments like Grubster's so I think I will be purchasing no more in the future. Pflueger President I hear raves about and may grab me one soon

Now, if you can find a 1980s Abu Garcia Cardinal 3 or 4 ...... :D

I guess for the money you can't go wrong with Shimano... I am sure there are horror stories out there but none involving me

Bass Pro-make reels intrigue me, the better ones, and curiosity may win out some day

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

I also own Quantums and like em (had one small issue with one of em) but I have heard comments like Grubster's so I think I will be purchasing no more in the future. Pflueger President I hear raves about and may grab me one soon

I guess for the money you can't go wrong with Shimano... I am sure there are horror stories out there but none involving me

Bass Pro-make reels intrigue me, the better ones, and curiosity may win out some day

I forgot about the Bass Pro spinning reel. Even though it's a low end modle, it's got 9 BB, I got it on my steelhead rod so don't use it much in the summer time. It is a little stiff but balanced and seems like a good reel. I should put that reel onto one of my other rods just to use the reel........lol.

#9 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

I went out today and bought the Pflueger President... I can't wait to try it out! The Patriarch looks pretty nice too... Can never have too many reels, right? :mrgreen:

#10 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I went and bought the Pflueger President today, 10 bearings :mrgreen:
There are plenty of nice Shimano reels... and I never need an excuse to buy a reel!
Thanks!

#11 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

I forgot about the Bass Pro spinning reel. Even though it's a low end modle, it's got 9 BB, I got it on my steelhead rod so don't use it much in the summer time. It is a little stiff but balanced and seems like a good reel. I should put that reel onto one of my other rods just to use the reel........lol.

... blow the dust off that puppy and get er out there :lol:

hmmm some of the "higher end" Bass Pro reels (if i may use that phrase) have some good reviews, then again those Bass Pro reviews may be written by staff and their family :lol:

hmmm high BB count and on sale.... Long Live the Frugal Angler?

#12 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

gannons in oshawa has mitchell avocette II for 40 beans a smooth drag and good balance. i recently bought a shimano symetre 2500 and is a mint reel at around 100 dollars for pier casting and have older stradics also but now they just cost to much.

#13 musky_hunter

musky_hunter

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

i'd get a stradic, sustain, or stella depending on your budget.

#14 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hey Dugger!

Regarding ...... "Now, if you can find a 1980s Abu Garcia Cardinal 3 or 4"

Coincidence that you should mention that. Last Night I spent some time Photographing Most of my Fishing Gear.

Among them was ????? YEP! My OLD Trusty Zebco 4 Spinning Reel.

I used it for MANY Years and it was the ONLY Reel I had as a young man in High School and College. No $$$$$'s

I think it was on a Berkley Cherrywood Rod. 2 Spools wih Mono, 8lb and 12 or 15 lb.

That Reel caught everything that could swim! NEVER a Problem with it! Retired it about 6/8 Years ago.

Needs a good cleaning and I'm thinking about "Back In Action"!!

Also a Pic of My Newly Refurbished 10 Year Old Plano Tackle Box.

Also a Pic of My Granfathers Tackle Box with some OLD Lures in there and his 4 OLD Casting Reels.

All are Shakespeare except the one, second in from the right it's a Pflueger.

"GOLDEN!!"

Rick

#15 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

good god classic!!!!! lol :D

did you say BERKLEY CHERRYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (STILL WITH ME?) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy crap eh that was a classic back in the day! holy moly

#16 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you live somewhere close to Oshawa, Gagnons is having their Summer Clearance sale this Thursday (Aug 16).

http://www.gagnonspo...arancesale.html

#17 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

If you live somewhere close to Oshawa, Gagnons is having their Summer Clearance sale this Thursday (Aug 16).

No, I don't. I live on the Saugeen River [about 3 hours from Oshawa].
But, I think I will take a trip down there to check out that sale!
Thanks! :mrgreen:

#18 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the ummm warning/alert. I know I'll go for just one thing and walk out with my credit card maxed out.......lol.

#19 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Someone I fish with quite often has a President and they seem to have the same issue with it every other outing. Somehow the line always manages to catch part of the spool (I think where you clip your line into when reel is not in use) and causes extreme tangle issues.

Just something to keep an eye out for.

#20 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Someone I fish with quite often has a President and they seem to have the same issue with it every other outing. Somehow the line always manages to catch part of the spool (I think where you clip your line into when reel is not in use) and causes extreme tangle issues.

Just something to keep an eye out for.

That would get annoying... FAST!
Thanks for the heads up!