Photo

HELP ME DECIDE ON NEW SPIN REEL

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: HELP ME DECIDE ON NEW SPIN REEL (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following spinning reels would you choose/had good experience with?

1. Abu Garcia Revo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Pflueger President (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. Pflueger Supreme (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Shimano [name model] (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

I had a Shimano Symetry, it was a great reel before I lost it to the drink. Currently have the Sahara and the Saros, both great reels. The Saros comes with an extra spool which is a huge plus in my books.

Sounds like you got the President, for the most part it sounds like a good reel. There have been some bad reviews on this site but what brand doesnt get bad review here and there? Tons of ppl out there think shimano is cheap overpriced crap...to each their own I guess. My next spinning reel will probably be an okuma or a quantium, quantium seems to be making some top notch reels in the high end market. Stay away from anything quantium under $50!!!!!!

#22 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Just checked out Sails website. Shimano Sahara on sale for 67.99, Shimano Symetry on for 74.99. These are both very very good prices!

#23 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I had a Shimano Symetry, it was a great reel before I lost it to the drink. Currently have the Sahara and the Saros, both great reels. The Saros comes with an extra spool which is a huge plus in my books.

Sounds like you got the President, for the most part it sounds like a good reel. There have been some bad reviews on this site but what brand doesnt get bad review here and there? Tons of ppl out there think shimano is cheap overpriced crap...to each their own I guess. My next spinning rell will probably be an okuma or a quantium, quantium seems to be making some top notch reels in the high end market. Stay away from anything quantium under $50!!!!!!

I have heard lots of good things about the Shimano Symetre...! Too bad the fish are now admiring yours, ;-)
I have read reviews, possibly too many to have a concrete opinion on the President. I figured what better way to find out than to buy one, right? It wasn't a huge investment, so I won't be upset if it doesn't perform. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but tried it out with a sinker weight on it, and I must say: SMOOTH.

I just tried a baitcast recently for the first time... it didn't take long to get use to! I plan on adding a baitcast to my collection soon as well.

...and I do believe [in most cases] we get what we pay for.

#24 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Just checked out Sails website. Shimano Sahara on sale for 67.99, Shimano Symetry on for 74.99. These are both very very good prices!

Totally agree!

You trying to save him alot of money Nado?

lol

The Revo is in the $250+ range ....
I cant figure the guys budget.....

From the choice and throwing in value... I'd go with the President.
*Worst case senario, he can still get a Shimano as well

#25 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Totally agree!

You trying to save him alot of money Nado?

lol

The Revo is in the $250+ range ....
I cant figure the guys budget.....

From the choice and throwing in value... I'd go with the President.
*Worst case senario, he can still get a Shimano as well

I am a HER. Correction, sir. ;)

#26 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

And I did buy the President yesterday...

Signed, HER :D

#27 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Can I introduce you to my girlfriend? lol

I got her a shimano combo, put her on well over 6 bass that were all over 2lbs her first time out "actually fishing" and she never tried again....

#28 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

John Deere.... Fishing.....
I think we have a "TOM BOY" in our midsts...

*SMILES*

Congrats with the New Reel!

I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. Keep it clean, Keep it spooled right ... Watch the little springs & Washers dont fall out if you put on the extra spool

and

POST some AWESOME PICS when you break that CHERRY on it!

lol

#29 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

John Deere.... Fishing.....
I think we have a "TOM BOY" in our midsts...

*SMILES*

Congrats with the New Reel!

I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot. Keep it clean, Keep it spooled right ... Watch the little springs & Washers dont fall out if you put on the extra spool

and

POST some AWESOME PICS when you break that CHERRY on it!

lol

I am NOT by any stretch a "tom-boy"... I am just a country girl. :)

...whoever said fishing was just for 'boys' anyways? ;)

#30 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

I am NOT by any stretch a "tom-boy"... I am just a country girl. :)

...whoever said fishing was just for 'boys' anyways? ;)

........ sure wasnt me!

I actually went to your profile just now (Instead of making assumptions) and saw some .... "things":

lol

Wedding gowns & Boots?

I thought all Country Girls were Conservative? Old Fashioned ...
Glad the world is a changing.

I never mind "REAL WOMEN" out fishing, you know ... the one's who actually do things for themselves.
The "Fix my Bait up for me, cause it's yucky" get only one outing with me.

Welcome to the BOYS CLUB!
* just joking , you know you cant get in.

*SMILES*

#31 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

........ sure wasnt me!

I actually went to your profile just now (Instead of making assumptions) and saw some .... "things":

lol

Wedding gowns & Boots?

I thought all Country Girls were Conservative? Old Fashioned ...
Glad the world is a changing.

I never mind "REAL WOMEN" out fishing, you know ... the one's who actually do things for themselves.
The "Fix my Bait up for me, cause it's yucky" get only one outing with me.

Welcome to the BOYS CLUB!
* just joking , you know you cant get in.

*SMILES*

Yes, I feel that a wedding isn't complete without pink cowGIRL boots...

FYI: I can bait a hook and cast a line... -all-by-myself- *jumps up & down clapping* ;-) I believe that the true love of a sport is when you’d do it alone, and for free… that is how I am with fishing [and a cold pint at times, ha!]. In fact, I enjoy fishing more than my husband… he hunts, I fish. We do both together. It works!

I think the only truly conservative people left are Mennonites...? Besides, I am 26 years old... not 76 years old [no offense to the wise 76 yo’s out there].

...to me, the country is cold beer, fishing, hunting, pick-up trucks, dirt roads, farms, country music... I too, am glad the world is changing [2012]. ;-)

#32 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well said.

Glad you decided to join our wonderful forum.

Lots of great PEOPLE here.

Enjoy.

#33 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Once you master a baitcaster you will never pick up another spin reel. Casts further and smooth as silk. You can adjust your reel to the size/weight of your lure. That alone is worth getting a baitcaster. Everyone starts with a spin rod....and yes the baitcaster can be a little indimidating. The learning curve is a little longer than a spin reel and you will have birds nests occur. KEEP AT IT. You will love a baitcater. I mainly fly fish but do use hardware were needed. I recenlty went after cohos here and fished along some other fisherman spin casting. With no effort at all I was casting further than any of them. Well worth trying them out.

#34 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

I fish with a abu garcia record no.61 for king salmon and will always buy abu garcia. For the price and quality you cannot go wrong.

#35 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Once you master a baitcaster you will never pick up another spin reel. Casts further and smooth as silk. You can adjust your reel to the size/weight of your lure. That alone is worth getting a baitcaster. Everyone starts with a spin rod....and yes the baitcaster can be a little indimidating. The learning curve is a little longer than a spin reel and you will have birds nests occur. KEEP AT IT. You will love a baitcater. I mainly fly fish but do use hardware were needed. I recenlty went after cohos here and fished along some other fisherman spin casting. With no effort at all I was casting further than any of them. Well worth trying them out.

I have heard that many times... I am definitely getting more and more interested in baitcast reels [by the day!]. I tried the one I have [Mitchell] yesterday for the first time... it will take some time to get used to. However, I was impressed by the accuracy. And I would have to accept that the first few trips out with it wouldn't be a 'fish catching' day more than a 'fiddling with the reel and line' day. Maybe. Probably. Lol.

#36 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

*takes down "No Girlz Aloud" sign from treehouse*

we gots us a goil!!!!!!

the joint just got classy! *picks up empty beer cans and peanut shells*

#37 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have heard that many times... I am definitely getting more and more interested in baitcast reels [by the day!]. I tried the one I have [Mitchell] yesterday for the first time... it will take some time to get used to. However, I was impressed by the accuracy. And I would have to accept that the first few trips out with it wouldn't be a 'fish catching' day more than a 'fiddling with the reel and line' day. Maybe. Probably. Lol.

Ditch the spin, and get a PIN :razz:

Just kidding, but enjoy your new reel. I started using a baitcaster for the first time this year, in the spring. The learning curve was a pain in the ass as I kept getting birdnests, but now that I've got it down it's my go to reel when I'm doing any other fishing outside the tribs. Have barely used a spinning reel since, even have been using the bait caster for chucking hardware at the piers.

#38 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Ditch the spin, and get a PIN :razz:

Just kidding, but enjoy your new reel. I started using a baitcaster for the first time this year, in the spring. The learning curve was a pain in the ass as I kept getting birdnests, but now that I've got it down it's my go to reel when I'm doing any other fishing outside the tribs. Have barely used a spinning reel since, even have been using the bait caster for chucking hardware at the piers.

I felt comfortable doing an overhead cast with it... but, that made the spool spin fast right from the beginning [backlash!]. Doing a sidecast with it... was uncomfortable [to say the least]. However, it was accurate & I did enjoy it [on my lawn!]. Not sure how I'll feel out on the water trying to get a good day of fishing in with it... :unsure:

#39 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

*takes down "No Girlz Aloud" sign from treehouse*

we gots us a goil!!!!!!

the joint just got classy! *picks up empty beer cans and peanut shells*

Ha! Grab me a cold pint while you're at it, would ya! :grin:

#40 fish.hunt.love.repeat

fish.hunt.love.repeat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Can I introduce you to my girlfriend? lol

I got her a shimano combo, put her on well over 6 bass that were all over 2lbs her first time out "actually fishing" and she never tried again....

If she wasn't excited by that [for 1st time out]... then fishing probably just isn't her thing.