• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

For those of you who like to line the river banks near the mouth of your favourite river... <_<

This is just another tip for the fishermen who are new to salmon fishing, as a follow up to the salmon pier fishing thread found here: http://www.ontariofi...tips-for-noobs/

The seasoned salmon and steelhead anglers already know what I'm about to share...

Have you ever heard the saying "You should have been here yesterday"?

Tip:

Use the real-time hydrometric data found here for your river to nail the runs when they are happening.

I even put a convenient link on the side of the forum because it can be a difficult URL to remember.

Posted Image

Take the run that happened over the weekend at the Ganny...

Posted Image

I think that graphic says it all. There are of course other factors, but IMO this is the most important one. The same generally applies to steelhead in the spring.

So, monitor the hydrometric data, and when you see it starting to spike:

1) The mouth of the river

Get down to the river mouth to catch the action in full swing. At this time, you can generally get them right when they enter the river and head upstream at or near the mouth.

2) Upstream

Chances are, that if you arrive a couple of days later, you'll be hiking up river to find the salmon which will now be scattered in pools upstream... Which is fine, but just a little tougher for new salmon anglers who have not yet mastered river fishing. (which is an entirely different technique) HOWEVER... If you arrive late to the party down by the mouth of the river, and you do feel a little adventurous, start working your way upstream and you will eventually catch up to the salmon! A word of advice here... Now you are getting into river fishing... egg sinkers and treble hooks are a HUGE no no. If you are going to attempt fishing the pools up-stream, learn the art of float fishing. You don't necessarily need a float reel for this, but a long rod (10'.6" and above) will make all the difference. You can ask around on the forum for advice on float fishing as there are many experienced float fishermen here who are willing to share their advice and experience.

Hopes this helps.

Just to clarify... this run of fish would have been the fish that were previously staging at the mouth. (The ones you were nailing with cleos and J13's casting into the lake using the techniques here)

Here is an animation that visually depicts how the salmon runs correspond to the hydrometric data referenced above:

Posted Image

The above visual aid should illustrate the importance of paying close attention to the hydrometric data.

Cheers!

#2 Meanderer

Meanderer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Are cleos and j13's good options in deeper UPSTREAM water? Better lure choices?

#3 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

sometimes smaller lures can catch upstream use them sparingly as after only a cast or two you have effectively worked the water, k-5 kwikfish can be good choice in the creek

#4 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

K-7 in Silver :wink:

#5 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

skunk can be deadly too

#6 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

sometimes smaller lures can catch upstream use them sparingly as after only a cast or two you have effectively worked the water, k-5 kwikfish can be good choice in the creek

I second this. Just don't be that guy that's throwing 3/4 oz cleo's in two feet of water lol.

#7 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

throwing spoons and spinner over the backs of redding fish is frowned upon????

#8 Rolopc

Rolopc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thank you very much.
There's a reason for everything, in this case the "Important Links" on the right side of the forum.

But knowing what it manes and how to use it can be difficult at times lol

Thank you very much ! Thank you.

#9 Rolopc

Rolopc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

Quick question though.

Looking at the map, let's say Port Hope (Ganaraska River Above Dale), the meter is quite very far north from the mouth of the river (above 401)
Is this an accurate representation?

Are we saying that the upstream system's water level is the same as the mouth's water level = water high enough for fish to come in?

Just curious. Thanks alot

#10 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Rolopc, I don't have an answer for you, however what i do suggest is when you go any creek and use the chart, take not, of water clarity, where you are, how high/ low the water is. After a few trips you wll be able to pinpoint the exact time to go to any creek. Its a great tool to use.

Thanks for posting, great information, pin this post!

#11 Rolopc

Rolopc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Rolopc, I don't have an answer for you, however what i do suggest is when you go any creek and use the chart, take not, of water clarity, where you are, how high/ low the water is. After a few trips you wll be able to pinpoint the exact time to go to any creek. Its a great tool to use.

Thanks for posting, great information, pin this post!

Thank you Dozer :)
I'll couple this chart and get used to it. First thing is to find a home river so I can totally master this data along with its water level.

Looking at the previous spikes at Port Hope, this data is very solid. It's almost like buying stocks... gotta go in during the right time lol

#12 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

My suggestion, find another river close by and monitor it as well. That way you can figure out two right off the bat. Two creeks may be 2 kms apart but have a completely different make up. You are on the right track my friend, awesome profile picture by the way :cool:

#13 Rolopc

Rolopc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

My suggestion, find another river close by and monitor it as well. That way you can figure out two right off the bat. Two creeks may be 2 kms apart but have a completely different make up. You are on the right track my friend, awesome profile picture by the way :cool:

Yah, Fraser Sturgeon Shotgun lol

#14 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

Water temps now
Posted Image

Saturday morning
Posted Image

http://tidesandcurre...fore_temp.shtml

NW winds will make a difference when it comes to pier fishing :razz:

#15 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

Quick question though.

Looking at the map, let's say Port Hope (Ganaraska River Above Dale), the meter is quite very far north from the mouth of the river (above 401)
Is this an accurate representation?

Are we saying that the upstream system's water level is the same as the mouth's water level = water high enough for fish to come in?

Just curious. Thanks alot

That station happens to be the closest one to the mouth which is why I used it to illustrate the point. Keep in mind that all of that water flows downstream into Lake Ontario. You can use that data as a baseline with which to compare relative flows in the system.

Water temps now
Posted Image

Saturday morning
Posted Image

http://tidesandcurre...fore_temp.shtml

NW winds will make a difference when it comes to pier fishing :razz:

Agreed, they absolutely do make a difference for pier fishing! Not only are north winds good for bringing the salmon closer into shore, but they also help you to cast your cleos further into the lake! :wink:

Nice post... you should definitely post this info in the pier fishing thread.

We're discussing how to time the actual runs. Rainfall and flows are IMO the easiest way for any noob to predict an actual run once the season is underway. You cannot predict runs using lake surface temp data alone in my experience. (trying not to complicate things here)

#16 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

So after a rain when the water is up, that's the best time to fish at the mouth and 2 days after the rain it's best to fish upstream?
is this correct?

#17 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

The rain will trigger them to run upstream for spawning. The offshore winds will bring them closer to shore when feeding 8)

#18 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Good info here, keep it coming!

#19 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

The rain will trigger them to run upstream for spawning. The offshore winds will bring them closer to shore when feeding 8)

EDIT: Never mind got confused by the whole from which direction the wind originates thing.

I am still confused though as to the reason North/Offshore winds would cause better conditions. I assume it has to do with cooler water temperatures as that is what lead to this comment but you know about assumptions and all.

XD

#20 Rolopc

Rolopc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

EDIT: Never mind got confused by the whole from which direction the wind originates thing.

I am still confused though as to the reason North/Offshore winds would cause better conditions. I assume it has to do with cooler water temperatures as that is what lead to this comment but you know about assumptions and all.

XD

jlisk, I think what he meant was . . . "if you're fishing North shore of Lake Ontario (e.g. P. Hope, Credit, Bronte, Wilmot... etc); if the wind is blowing North or upwards towards these streams, the salmon will be literally blown towards the shore due to bait fish. So when the water level is High, in addition to a north wind, the 'chance' of salmon returning to their streams/ mouth of river is ideal. Afterall, what the heck are the thousands of salmon doing now in deeper waters.... feeding of course

Example Scenario:

September 1, 2012
Precipitation - 10-15cm of rain
Wind - Northeast

You'd better hit the waters 4am in the morning!

p.s- Which brings to another question... if on the contrary, the wind is blowing South West, should we be heading down to Port Dalhousie near Niagara on the lake ?

Just trying to help.