• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Was out on Wilcox lake last might from 5pm till 8. Was told spinners were only thing that work there. After 2 min on water down came the rain. Lasted 5 min. Second cast with a silver spoon doing the retrieve and drop tech nailed a pike 10 feet of boat about 18 in long. Caught two more smaller pike and 3 smallmouth bass. Pike were very skinny and bass were pretty pail. Wouldn't recommend eating them
It was really surprise to see pike this close to home Till next time fish brothers and sisters

#2 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Was out on Wilcox lake last might from 5pm till 8. Was told spinners were only thing that work there. After 2 min on water down came the rain. Lasted 5 min. Second cast with a silver spoon doing the retrieve and drop tech nailed a pike 10 feet of boat about 18 in long. Caught two more smaller pike and 3 smallmouth bass. Pike were very skinny and bass were pretty pail. Wouldn't recommend eating them
It was really surprise to see pike this close to home Till next time fish brothers and sisters

nice. i've seen a guy catch pike there. about 2 feet but yeah, it's skinny. don't know about sm bass there but seen a guy caught LM bass. lot's of carp and chubs on wilcox.

#3 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

My fishing partner told me he seen a 40 in plus caught there. Seen a pic of his it had a Hugh head but a popcan body. Seems there way under feed

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the report.

#5 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

.... very cool, I googled Wilcox Lake, what an interesting place. Thanks for the report!

#6 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

I tried there once 2 summers ago but didn't catch. But my cousin has caught LM and pike in there. Ya Wilcox is a nice spot. Free parking and a good place to bring a canoe/yak/inflatable. I used my inflatable with troller in there. Just know that if you're in an inflatable and the wind picks up and you don't have a motor you could get pushed across the lake. Canoes and kayaks can slice through water so those would be fine.

Wilcox is mostly surrounded by private land and houses but still has a spot for free public access for bringing a boat though not much access for shore fishing. But it's a lot better than places which have no access like chalk lake in whtiby, caledon lake, and musselman in stouffville.

#7 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Even though it's illegal, sounds like the lake needs more food like minnows and/or crayfish to be dumped in there to feed the pike and bass. Anyone see fish die of starvation on the shores or floating? The predator overpopulation is probably b/c ppl taking the forage fish.

#8 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Sounds like you had a good time! :grin:

#9 vnovshad

vnovshad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I just goggled it too, that lake looks tiny, it can't be self supporting, can it? and wouldn't that lake freeze solid in the winter?

#10 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

#11 vnovshad

vnovshad

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

When I said freeze solid I Meant all the way through to the bottom, I guess not. Thanks for clarifying :) . I also Didn't know it was that deep! I will try fishing there sometime.

#12 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

When I said freeze solid I Meant all the way through to the bottom, I guess not. Thanks for clarifying :) . I also Didn't know it was that deep! I will try fishing there sometime.

A lake would have to be super shallow to freeze right through to the bottom. If that was the case I dont think id clasify it as a lake, but mearly a puddle..

#13 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

#14 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

x2 That's a very Logical Conclusion I'm also not aware of ANY Lake that freezes solid all the way to the Bottom.

6" is on the edge of Safe for Ice Fishing. I don't Ice Fish but from what I've seen on here Apprx 2 Feet is about the Max Thickness around this area. :grin: :grin:

"vnovshad" I still don't understand what you mean by "self supporting", Care to Clarify?

i think what he means is "is natural reproduction happening". which it has to be since bass and pike and panfish arent stocked regularly if at all, ive never heard of it.

#15 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

It's also 5/8 Minutes down the road from where I live on Bayview Avanue.

I thought you lived in Newmarket/Aurora... Nice post real informative. I'll probably head out one day this summer and hope for some nice bass...

#16 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

that lake is very self sufficient, the ministry puts a lot of effort in the spawning of the pike and bass, there is/used to be at least, an observatory there to see the pike spawning. problem is, there is lot of toxins in that lake, from 20 years ago there were bio hazard chemicals/carcinogenic dumped in that lake and recently from too many houses/mansions being built around the lake and dumping lot of chemical in the water. hence the unhealthy looking fish in there. i would not recommend anyone eating from there. but back in the days, i used to catch really nice size fish there.

#17 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

thanks for all the info fishhawk, seems like a good place to bring a canoe or small boat

#18 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Lake Wilcox has gone under a very extensive cleanup over the past 20 years ands is doing very well

Check it out

#19 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Good info boys. I'd like to check er' out this summer.

#20 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I haven't seen ice fish that lake yet but i've heard some people do. This lake is self sufficient. Correct me if i'm wrong but there's a part of that lake you can't touch because its a sanctuary. I used to cast by the docks but that dock was long gone. I won't be surprise if these lake will have the same fate as Musselman's...meaning landowners around won't want outsiders to fish there.