• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

This doesn't really have anything to do with improving the forum but I often wonder why OFF doesn't have an OFF patch available for purchase that can be put on a fishing vest or maybe a cap.

I'm for that, sure would make it easy to find a member when they're in a crowd of other anglers.

#22 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

:idea: How about a section dedicated to individuals that fish from other parts of the world and the technics they imply for the species they are fishing for?

And also what’s species are available to the avid angler visiting…

This will give other members visiting the countries of origin a heads up on gear/bait needed to enjoy…

Also let them know if there are any special licenses or documents they may require…

#23 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

What ever happened to the proposed VIP section open only to dedicated members? I still see alot of people "scanning" the threads and using the information for their own benefit and not joining or contributing. The VIP would limit their access. OFF has been such a great site of knowledge, exchange of ideas and laughs. I would pay to be a VIP if I knew part of a one time fee was to be donated for conservation of our fisheries. I don't know if any other forum does or has that.

#24 hova

hova

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

:idea: How about a section dedicated to individuals that fish from other parts of the world and the technics they imply for the species they are fishing for?

This will give other members visiting the countries of origin a heads up on gear/bait needed to enjoy…

Also let them know if there are any special licenses or documents they may require…

this is a great idea as i always try to get out on vacation.

#25 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hey Fishingnoob, if you look at the top right of the site, you'll see a block called "Recent Posts"... it constantly refreshes, so new posts automatically appear without manually refreshing your browser... Is that what you mean?

Ya, that's exactly what I mean, thanks for pointing it out.

#26 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

This doesn't really have anything to do with improving the forum but I often wonder why OFF doesn't have an OFF patch available for purchase that can be put on a fishing vest or maybe a cap.

I think that is a great idea! Lolz we could be like motorcycle gang but with fishing... RESPECT THE PATCH!

#27 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yeah...uuhh...I want a steelhead icon under my avatar please...

Great ideas being posted, great to make available this opportunity by Open...

CC

I'm wondering what are the exact number of posts you require to be upgraded to a new fish avatar.
I think Smallmouth is around 900, perch around 600, largemouth bass around 1100.
what happens after someone is a level 3 largemouth?

#28 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

aww i want a steelhead under my avatar 2 :smile:

#29 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

I want a zombie salmon :grin:

#30 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

OFF rocks!

#31 Dugger

Dugger

Perch

• Active Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Nirvana brother...you get a thousand petalled lotus flower...Posted Image

LOL!!!! huuuboy that cracked me up

#32 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Wow, this is cool. I don't have much to suggest, but a sub-section that's devoted to fishing videos in the salmon/steelhead forum would be great.

We currently have a videos section... we actually also have one just for steelhead too. http://www.ontariofi...ry-2-steelhead/
Is that what you mean?

Good idea!

For the studies etc, I'd suggest a forum related to scientific studies, MNR research etc. Laws and regulations and updates and the such

You mean a section like this? :razz:

Also, not really an upgrade, but how about someway to keep members actively posting on reports and such? I'm not too sure how, but I love this site and I'd like to see more members actively contributing. Even if its little posts like "hey, nice catch" would be cool, lol. Would be nice if everyone was more supportive of posts/reports, just to encourage more to post.

Agreed 100%. It would be a great if we can implement some kind of incentive to encourage people to post more... We just have to figure out how... I'm open to any suggestions!

Interesting! I know that I could have used such a section a few times in the last couple of years.

What ever happened to the proposed VIP section open only to dedicated members? I still see alot of people "scanning" the threads and using the information for their own benefit and not joining or contributing. The VIP would limit their access. OFF has been such a great site of knowledge, exchange of ideas and laughs. I would pay to be a VIP if I knew part of a one time fee was to be donated for conservation of our fisheries. I don't know if any other forum does or has that.

Hmmm... Well we used to have a "reports section" that was not publicly viewable... You could call it a "VIP" section. The way it worked was that in order to gain access and see the detailed reports of other members, you yourself would have to first submit your own. It was a give and take system. The reports section IS coming back in the new upgrade, so yes there will be a "VIP" section, not publicly viewable.
I think that's kind of what you mean?

I'm wondering what are the exact number of posts you require to be upgraded to a new fish avatar.
I think Smallmouth is around 900, perch around 600, largemouth bass around 1100.
what happens after someone is a level 3 largemouth?

What chasechrome said! lol :razz:

aww i want a steelhead under my avatar 2 :smile:

Get to 2000 posts and you shall have one! ;)

#33 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

i better start spamming :smile:

#34 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

I haven't been reading all the great ideas but has anyone suggested a review page, where members can review lures, tackle, resorts...etc.

#35 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

The recent posts section should include more posts, perhaps a day or two's worth.

If a bunch of posts occur within the same few threads in a short period of time, the recent posts section becomes flooded and less useful. I'd like to be able to scroll down it and see a day or two's worth of posts.

#36 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

I haven't been reading all the great ideas but has anyone suggested a review page, where members can review lures, tackle, resorts...etc.

I think this is a great idea.

#37 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

trophy room excellent idea!

#38 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Excellent idea!

The recent posts section should include more posts, perhaps a day or two's worth.

If a bunch of posts occur within the same few threads in a short period of time, the recent posts section becomes flooded and less useful. I'd like to be able to scroll down it and see a day or two's worth of posts.

Good idea salmo!

#39 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Good idea. It's actually a separate feature of the forum software - the current 'recent posts' is more of a live ticker. But you can basically install a feature to list all unread posts since last visit. If you have already viewed a thread, it will take you to the first unread post in that thread.

I really like the live ticker of this forum. Would be good to have both options though.

#40 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Good idea. It's actually a separate feature of the forum software - the current 'recent posts' is more of a live ticker. But you can basically install a feature to list all unread posts since last visit. If you have already viewed a thread, it will take you to the first unread post in that thread.

I really like the live ticker of this forum. Would be good to have both options though.

couldn't the live ticker be made to hold more posts, it currently holds 25 post couldn't it be made to hold 50, 75 or 100