• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 neverlookback

neverlookback

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm very new to fishing let alone salmon fishing. We went to An "eastern" creek a few weeks ago and were amazed at all the salmon going up stream so we decided to come back (yesterday) and give it another shot. My questions are:

1. Why were all the salmon dead? We saw a bunch and the smell was unbearable? Was it because the water level was low?

2. Was is there only salmon in that river. Like weI didn't even see a single fish of a different species, there aren't even crayfish there.

Btw we went to the conservation area.

Thanks in advance

#2 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

either water to warm, most of them die after being released, or they were slit open for the roe.

#3 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

^+1

#4 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

People do same bull s.... on Port Credit i found one big fish gutted out and one that have fillets cut out and left there. Man i wish i can catch those a.. holes and make them skinny dip into Lake Ontario.

#5 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

People do same bull s.... on Port Credit i found one big fish gutted out and one that have fillets cut out and left there. Man i wish i can catch those a.. holes and make them skinny dip into Lake Ontario.

This happens every year... :neutral:

#6 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Whats the difference if he filleted the fish and left the rest of it there, than if he took it home and filleted it and threw the fish in his garden?

Same thing.

You are a bit askew from the point you are trying to make.

#7 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Whats the difference if he filleted the fish and left the rest of it there, than if he took it home and filleted it and threw the fish in his garden?

Same thing.

You are a bit askew from the point you are trying to make.

:smile:

#8 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Aslong as the fish is harvested to its full potential and the "angler" didnt go over his limit, who cares where the carcus is left. Thow it would be better for the stink to get rid of it somewhere else. However you cannot gut a fish just for its roe even if you stay under the limit. If you plan on keeping roe your better off keeping the carcus with you until you get home. Fresh roe with no carcus makes MNR mad. I learned this a couple years ago when fishing down in Petro Park on Bronte when on our way out i was greeted by MNR and Police. They were searching eveyone and everything from coolers to the trunk of my car and even making sure my roe wasnt feshly caught. I Thanked them and told them they should do this daily.

#9 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

If you plan on cleaning a fish and leaving the carcus make sure you leave a tag of skin or all the skin on the filet so the species is recognizable. It explains this in more detail at the front of the regulations book.

#10 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

1346083332[/url]' post='236145']
This happens every year... :neutral:

And so it starts...indeed RN
Posted Image

#11 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

I never noticed anything in the post about slit fish though....

#12 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Emirriba said he saw one big fish gutted and an other filleted

#13 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

I never noticed anything in the post about slit fish though....

:eek:

#14 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Alot of uneducated people dont know the difference between a male and female so when they catch a male they slit it open for roe. Once they see there is no roe they just leave it.

#15 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Alot of uneducated people dont know the difference between a male and female so when they catch a male they slit it open for roe. Once they see there is no roe they just leave it.

Expect to see a lengthy treatment of this issue in our pending "Conservation/Legacy/Sustainability" section...

Anglers must educate themselves better...

Lets save some for the future...Posted Image

CC

#16 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Expect to see a lengthy treatment of this issue in our pending "Conservation/Legacy/Sustainability" section...

CC

#17 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

CC

I see what your saying there is a time and place for my posts. I'll make sure i post in the right category in the future

#18 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

I see what your saying there is a time and place for my posts. I'll make sure i post in the right category in the future

Not at all Canadian...the perfect place...these discussions are germane

I have some material to post in the new section on this topic however--it's a critical issue

Thanks
CC

#19 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Can't wait, conservation is one of my biggest concerns. I buy a sport licence, not because i get to keep more fish legally but because i know the extra money i pay goes towards conservation. I rarely keep fish and if i did keep one you can bet i didnt keep it from lake "O" or its tribs.

#20 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

It sad.. The worst is when the fish is killed and stripped of the toe and left between the rocks of the pier to rott... The smell is discussing