• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Whats the difference if he filleted the fish and left the rest of it there, than if he took it home and filleted it and threw the fish in his garden?

Same thing.

You are a bit askew from the point you are trying to make.

Same as leaving garbage behind you, it f.... stink,s you leave carcass spoil then get different bacterias disease etc. Are you getting my point now?

#22 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Alot of uneducated people dont know the difference between a male and female so when they catch a male they slit it open for roe. Once they see there is no roe they just leave it.

It was a male.

#23 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Same as leaving garbage behind you, it f.... stink,s you leave carcass spoil then get different bacterias disease etc. Are you getting my point now?

Unfortunately brother, they die wether or not someone catches them, or kills them, there isn't a spot on the river in late september that won't stink. Lol. If you're that concerned bring a scented garbage bag and pick up the carcasses for other anglers and yourself next time, nothing makes a guy who litters look more like a tool then when someone else cleans up after him. I have more to say on this topic to get the fire burning but it's too early... Hah!

#24 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

It is illegal to kill a fish and allow the meat to spoil. End of the story.

I can not believe that no one is supporting me 100% on this topic.

#25 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Unless a fish is consumed or given away for same it has to be released...it is illegal to leave the meat on the bank to spoil...

#26 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Unless a fish is consumed or given away for same it has to be released...it is illegal to leave the meat on the bank to spoil...

I was passionate about this topic last season and got an answer from the MNR that surprised/angered me but since then I have come to terms with it. Apparently the Salmon don’t fall into the suitable for human consumption category so it technically isn’t illegal to not use the meat and just keep the roe. I personally don’t have a problem spending a bit of money each year and buying hatchery roe. By no means am I wealthy in any way, but it really doesn’t cost that much to buy the roe. If you can afford the gear you can afford the roe.

However I will never understand why people care so much about the decaying salmon on the side of the river. Some people say that you should throw the fish in the nearest garbage can on your way out...what a waste! Those nutrients that are going to be mixed in with all of the garbage at the landfill and instead could have given back to the ecosystem. Do we forget what the salmon come up the river to do? They come up the river to spawn and then to die. The only way that a salmon wouldn’t end up on the river bank is when anglers catch them and take them home!

So im sorry to break it to everyone but that stinky smell that everyone hates to smell on the river every fall is here to stay. If we want to get rid of that smell then we better stop stocking Chinook Salmon....

#27 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

You need to read up on regs. It is not illegal to leave the meat to spoil, as it is unfit for human consumption.

I was passionate about this topic last season and got an answer from the MNR that surprised/angered me but since then I have come to terms with it. Apparently the Salmon don’t fall into the suitable for human consumption category so it technically isn’t illegal to not use the meat and just keep the roe.

What Nado posted is correct. I have spoken with CO's regarding this matter in person and they have confirmed for me as well.
-The dead salmon along the banks, in the bush and in the water, will feed our ecosystem..

#28 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

You need to read up on regs. It is not illegal to leave the meat to spoil, as it is unfit for human consumption.

What Nado posted is correct. I have spoken with CO's regarding this matter in person and they have confirmed for me as well.
-The dead salmon along the banks, in the bush and in the water, will feed our ecosystem..

D*MN--this is at odds with what another CO told me...have to check further, perhaps you're right RN

#29 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

D*MN--this is at odds with what another CO told me...have to check further, perhaps you're right RN

LoL!
I actually have the sub-section of the rule, written down at my home office.. I will try to find it and post up.
I am almost 100% sure that this is the correct info. Both CO's were acquaintances, so I did not pull any punches when asking direct questions regarding this subject.

#30 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

LoL!
I actually have the sub-section of the rule, written down at my home office.. I will try to find it and post up.
I am almost 100% sure that this is the correct info. Both CO's were acquaintances, so I did not pull any punches when asking direct questions regarding this subject.

Would appreciate it RN--post when you can...
Thanks
CC

#31 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yep, it bothered me last year quite a bit. Volunteering my free time to care for these eggs over a long period of time just to see them slit for their eggs and lose any chance of reproduction. Something tells me that those who are slitting for the eggs arent typically those who volunteer. That being said if you do volunteer you deserve to slit a belly or two, as long as you put back more than you take who cares how much you take. Think about it, if everyone put back more than they took or at least donated money to stocking programs then we would never have any issues.

But believe me, I dug deep asking numerous CO's, tip hotlines and information booths and all gave me the same answer (its funny to think that its ok to slit a chinny for its eggs but controlling the carp population is a nono) With that being said one thing that is never certain is the officers discretion. At the end of the day its another grey area and anything could happen, for example what if you run into the CO chase talked to?

#32 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yep, it bothered me last year quite a bit. Volunteering my free time to care for these eggs over a long period of time just to see them slit for their eggs and lose any chance of reproduction. Something tells me that those who are slitting for the eggs arent typically those who volunteer. That being said if you do volunteer you deserve to slit a belly or two, as long as you put back more than you take who cares how much you take. Think about it, if everyone put back more than they took or at least donated money to stocking programs then we would never have any issues.

But believe me, I dug deep asking numerous CO's, tip hotlines and information booths and all gave me the same answer (its funny to think that its ok to slit a chinny for its eggs but controlling the carp population is a nono) With that being said one thing that is never certain is the officers discretion. At the end of the day its another grey area and anything could happen, for example what if you run into the CO chase talked to?

The letter of the law will defend you. Regardless of how a CO personally sees the situation, his actions are solely based upon the law that he enforces.

#33 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Here you go you read it i now. I do my homework. Last paragraph.

#34 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

P8260022.JPG RN is correct...lake O salmon during spawning cycle are not fit for consumption...now a fish from another lake that the meat looks like this is a different story...nicked quite a few sashimi pieces off this one...nofin goes to waste when I catch one like that...

#35 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Here you go you read it i now. I do my homework. Last paragraph.

Really? The last paragraph?
You mean this excerpt?
-Abandon fish or permit fish to spoil, IF THE FISH IS SUITABLE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

DID YOU READ THAT PART????? :roll:

#36 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

P8260022.JPG RN is correct...lake O salmon during spawning cycle are not fit for consumption...now a fish from another lake that the meat looks like this is a different story...nicked quite a few sashimi pieces off this one...nofin goes to waste when I catch one like that...

+1
Reminds me of the salmon from the sound.... Yum!

#37 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

yeah man, that's a GB fish, another neat thing about that one is that it had a small perfectly round indent in the jaw about the width of the gap on the #10 away from where my hook went in...i figure it was CnR as a little one and had the same strike as a bigun...absolutely delicious fish!

#38 neverlookback

neverlookback

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I see the word tribs used a lot. What does it mean?

Anyone want to take a shot at my second question regarding how come there are no other species in the river? not even crayfish?

#39 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

You mean this excerpt?
-Abandon fish or permit fish to spoil, IF THE FISH IS SUITABLE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

Who is to decide if it is for CONSUMPTION

#40 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

You mean this excerpt?

Who is to decide if it is for CONSUMPTION or NOT