59 replies to this topic

#21 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Father tore a downrigger right off the side of the boat that I got for him <_<

In a day I think I've lost 30 dollars worth of lures once...

#22 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I don't normally fish with hardware, but a few weeks ago lost about 7 3/4oz cleos with siwash hooks and a j-13 down at PC :huh:

#23 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Blue Fox #5/6 spinners. I once decorated a tree just like christmas going after chinooks. lol I laugh now but I was steaming that day. The wind blowing on the blades sounded like jingle bells. Same river on a boat this time going up river I stopped by several "christams trees" and collected them all back and more!

$4 flesh flies going for bows with a 5wt fly rod only to hook into a large spawing coho and have it snap me off. lol no chance!

#24 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

You just had to post this.....

I consider myself a multi species angler, I tend to fish for whatever is in the peak of the season. 2 years ago on another web site, there was a fund raiser for breast cancer and I won the bid on a Shawn Mahar "Hosier bait". These are BIG Muskie trolling lures. Again, like I said, this was for raising money so I paid more than a fair price for it. Well, like all muskie lures I own, I buy them to use them. I am not a collector. Needless to say I rigged up this deep diver lure on 100lb Power Pro with a 130lb Fluorocarbon leader and lost this lure within 200ft of where I started trolling. This lure dived much deeper than any of Shawn's other lures. Total cost of this lure, including shipping......$250.00...... OUCH!

Would I do it again???? You bet ya!

#25 kickisasssebas

kickisasssebas

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Some live target Crankbait Crawfish....4-5lbs smallie smashed it and jumped out of the water and broke me off.

check your line often if you fish the great lakes with a crankbait..damm zebra mussel!

#26 chinhook

chinhook

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Rapala floating minnow . Doesn't sound like that big of a loss right??

However, I made the mistake of leaving my fishing rod unattended with the line in the water while I helped my buddy dock his boat, by the time I looked back (around 10 seconds), a fish had taken the lure and dragged my Pflueger reel/Shimano rod to the bottom of the lake, never to be seen again :(

I wont be making that mistake again haha

#27 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

A Rapala Max Rap $19.00 and a Mepps Magnum Musky Killer $ 14.99. In the same week.

However I was Fishing "Unknown Waters" in the St. Lawrence, Gananoque, Thousand Islands Area.

Sometimes Trolling DEEP Water also Casting, The Max Rap was an obvious Snag, there was a Lot of Structure down there, Old Trees we figured.

The Musky Killer was a "Fish On" with 25Lb Braid. I think he wrapped around something because after about ten minutes it came to a dead stop. After trying to free it for a while, I cut the Line myself. Not worth possibbly breaking a $180.00 Muskie Rod.

That same night I spent around $150/$175.00 Bucks taking 4 of my Relatives out for Dinner at the Gananoque Inn. I was also "Lodging" there for a week. $$$$'s..

I guess It's all relative.

A friend bought one of those "Lure Retrievers" (Pic Below) from Bass Pro. $10.99. First thing he did was to replace the Lousy 30' of line that's on there with 100' of Stronger Line.

It worked not to badly, broke a couple of hooks Yanking at it but 95% of the time, it got the Lure back.

Then the "Chain Attacment" on the front end started coming loose. He Pulled the "Fish" off and replaced it with a piece of 3/4" oak dowel, rounded off both ends and did an Eye Bolt all the way through with the "Pull Line" attached at the Back End. 2 coats of Urethane. DONE!

If your at all "Handy" you could probably make a better one from scratch in the first place. Which I might just do.

Rick

#28 Mike Rousseau

Mike Rousseau

Sunfish

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

i broke of an 80 dollar musky lure on time on a rock pile... luckily when the line broke it freed itself and floated back up...

#29 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

A Rapala Max Rap $19.00 and a Mepps Magnum Musky Killer $ 14.99. In the same week.

However I was Fishing "Unknown Waters" in the St. Lawrence, Gananoque, Thousand Islands Area.

Sometimes Trolling DEEP Water also Casting, The Max Rap was an obvious Snag, there was a Lot of Structure down there, Old Trees we figured.

The Musky Killer was a "Fish On" with 25Lb Braid. I think he wrapped around something because after about ten minutes it came to a dead stop. After trying to free it for a while, I cut the Line myself. Not worth possibbly breaking a $180.00 Muskie Rod.

That same night I spent around $150/$175.00 Bucks taking 4 of my Relatives out for Dinner at the Gananoque Inn. I was also "Lodging" there for a week. $$$$'s..

I guess It's all relative.

A friend bought one of those "Lure Retrievers" (Pic Below) from Bass Pro. $10.99. First thing he did was to replace the Lousy 30' of line that's on there with 100' of Stronger Line.

It worked not to badly, broke a couple of hooks Yanking at it but 95% of the time, it got the Lure back.

Then the "Chain Attacment" on the front end started coming loose. He Pulled the "Fish" off and replaced it with a piece of 3/4" oak dowel, rounded off both ends and did an Eye Bolt all the way through with the "Pull Line" attached at the Back End. 2 coats of Urethane. DONE!

If your at all "Handy" you could probably make a better one from scratch in the first place. Which I might just do.

Rick

How does this device work??? Are you supposed to cast it so the lure goes through the two loops on the retriever??

#30 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Lost 1 x-rap $9, blue fox vibrax $5 w/ leader. both on Tommy Thompson park. If you go to the mouth of rouge river. look up at the electric line, I see a lot of tangled lines. what the hell?

#31 neverlookback

neverlookback

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

I dont feel so bad anymore!

lol

Waiting for it to surface is not a bad idea, never thought about that.

I guess i didnt tie up the lure properly, first swing and it went flying lol

#32 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

How does this device work??? Are you supposed to cast it so the lure goes through the two loops on the retriever??

I believe once your snagged you slide it over your line at tip of rod it slides down to your lure and the chains hook on to your hook. Then u you pull it back in by the rope

#33 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

I dont feel so bad anymore!

lol

Waiting for it to surface is not a bad idea, never thought about that.

I guess i didnt tie up the lure properly, first swing and it went flying lol

nothing's worse than, snagging it to something...got it loose and snag it on the same sport...makes you think..."why the hell did i just do that?!"

but yeah, looking at those electrical lines beside the bridge at the mouth of rouge river takes all my frustrations away. lool

#34 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

I believe once your snagged you slide it over your line at tip of rod it slides down to your lure and the chains hook on to your hook. Then u you pull it back in by the rope

Thanks.

#35 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

I've lost over $100 per day at some points. If your serious about walleye, at times you need to bang the rocks

Fortunately for me, more often than not I'm rewarded with great catches, so its well worth it

#36 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

i broke of an 80 dollar musky lure on time on a rock pile... luckily when the line broke it freed itself and floated back up...

MM, I know you fish alot of current like me. I've been lucky too. Break off, look at the current, figure out in your head which eddie/shoreline itll show up on. Go grab it at the end of the day, like clockwork, lol

#37 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

FishingNoob:

Sorry Buddy.
I've been out of commission for a few days and couldn't get back to you right away.

Rusty is correct. The one you see is obviously designed to attract the Fisherman.

I might just make one, but it will look a lot different than that one. Heavier and Stronger also.

The loops on that they say are to allow it to get past any Terminal Tackle on the way down,maybe a little to large?

Also a direct conection from the "Pull Rope" to the "Chain Hook Snags" A Long Eye Bolt?

We'll see how it goes.

Loosing Lures? ....... Embarassing ......... Unhook One Lure and attach another to your Line. Flip it over the side of the boat to get ready for the cast. Pick up your Rod, The one you threw over the side was the one you just UNHOOKED!! (Do NOT tell anyone I said that!!):unsure: :unsure:

#38 EraJester

EraJester

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ive lost 3 Sweet lures, all thnxs to random poop in the bottom of the place i used to fish at. Ps ( all in the $10 range)

for example i fished this out of the water once.
(2003 bag of sun flowers >:( )
Posted Image

Closer look, (2003)
Posted Image

Lure i lost later on the day.

Posted Image

#39 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:26 PM