51 replies to this topic

#1 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

An Outing with OFF Guys

One by one they begin to stage and move into the river systems—anglers on brief outings scout low water conditions to familiarize themselves with structure and possible holding areas. Rains come and go, urging small numbers of early run salmon to begin their migration, and, in typically early-run conditions, are trapped when the levels invariable drop again. Each outing, and the slowly cooling conditions, tells the angler that migratory fish are moving more frequently and steadily into the river.

Posted Image

A brief flurry of e-mails and we (a few OFF members) decide to meet up on a river to hit what is likely the beginning of a promising run of fish—hoping more so for an incidental connection with an early steelhead or lake-run brown trout.

Posted Image

As is often the case, this trip too, was punctuated by an auspicious beginning…

We’re going to meet at this parking lot (in the dark it’s more like the camouflaged entrance to the Bat Cave); predictably I miss it so opt for the access point some 1.5 km. downstream. I text the guys…silence…dawn is only 30 minutes away and I make my way to the first holding pool. The phone rings…Trini… “Hey man where are you?” I think to myself, “obviously NOT where you guys are.” Fine, so we plan to meet halfway between our relative access points… “We are going to walk downstream and meet up with you if you are coming our way.”

I fish a couple of runs and holding areas and am rewarded by a small steelhead, and a good sized Chinook that took my offering at the top end of the pool. Fish were moving rapidly that day…pods crashing trough the rapids and skinny water to get to their natal streams while barely holding in the deeper pools…they were on a mission.

Posted Image

A couple of hours of wading and casting to large shadows that were milling about with nervous energy and decided to contact the boys about their progress. “Ok, on my way up river then, I say…” My curiosity about how far down the boys had made their way was rewarded…there they were, comfortably camped out on the walkway about 100 meters downstream of their parking area…I think to myself that this doesn’t at all look like the halfway point!! Nice!! Real dyed-in-the-wool steelheaders here (fully clad in their Simms gear looking like the day it was removed from the box…geeeeezzz), on their asses in the sun, chucking bait…along with about 30 other guys.

Posted Image
Anyway, warm greetings and handshakes all around—was as though I had fished with these guys for a long time. All except for float^drifter—unsociable sot, who wasn’t about to take time away from his snagging activities (which he loosely defines as “float fishing”)…and Dozer, who was busy scoping the "scenery" though he didn't catch their names...Posted ImagePosted Image

Seriously though…great group of gentlemen who I would share water with anytime!

Simms Catalogue Boys

(Notice how CLEAN and dry their gear is....Posted Image...)

RED OCTOBER

Dozer Being the Gentleman Angler

FD put the Wood to Them...

Tank O'mania

Enjoy

CC

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

:lol: I had a chuckle reading that report, good times on the river :cool:

#3 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

psh, check out the bunch of loogans in those photos :roll:

That camera turns out good pics!

snagging activities (which he loosely defines as “float fishing”

:lol:

#4 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

lol good times.

#5 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I think I seen those guys before, they hired a Sherpa to cut down a path for them so not even a blade of grass would scuff their waders. :razz:

#6 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Wait wait, we're -1 picture... where's the old loony bin escapee :blink:

#7 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Haha sounds like it was a good time - thanks for sharing!

#8 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

The fallingrocks there look stacked, but I'm guessing there must have been fish stacked as well. nice :cool:

#9 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

was stacked with people but everyone had a pretty good idea of how to fish and follow the drift so it wasn't that big of a mess. u shoud have seen the pool above us what zoo lol.

#10 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Wait wait, we're -1 picture... where's the old loony bin escapee :blink:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Great report! Sounds like you guys had a great time. Nice fish too! Cheers.

#12 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

As always, wonderfully written CC, I'll have to meet up with you gents one of these times.

#13 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

shenanigans.. :smile:

#14 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Yep it was a great day, I had the oppertunity to meet some wonderful fellow fishers for the first time and reunite with old friends. CC no fair we will have to get a couple shots of you next time to return the favor.:mrgreen: Look forward to sharing more water with all you guys soon.:razz:

And as for float^drifter next time its game on..hahahahahaha im packing some blu stuff....

#15 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

that was the magic bait, keep it on the low :grin:

#16 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

thx for posting

#17 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Yep it was a great day, I had the oppertunity to meet some wonderful fellow fishers for the first time and reunite with old friends. CC no fair we will have to get a couple shots of you next time to return the favor.:mrgreen: Look forward to sharing more water with all you guys soon.:razz:

And as for float^drifter next time its game on..hahahahahaha im packing some blu stuff....

I though the photo of you looked as though the fishing guru was doling out Sage advice to the young ones...Posted Image
Unfortunately Trini was standing on a rock god hated...Posted ImagePosted Image mind you fd and cj spent the morning drifting over his setup...

#18 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

i told him a 100 chubs he pulled out made it out to being one salmon :grin:

#19 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

here is a treat from today not mine but my Buddie's. I had one as well but couldn't hang on :cry:

Posted Image

#20 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

nice and fresh, still need to punch that card on my my steelheader ticket. had one at the ganny a few years back at the first step but the hook pulled out.