27 replies to this topic

#1 Ertzies

Ertzies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hey guys,

Haven't posted anything in the fly section, but I'm still new to the entire fly fishing genre. Going to try out some cray patterns in the grand river (Kitchener) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on action, and/or colour and size selection. I've seen the odd rusty, but for the most part more beige in tone. So i'd assume thats a common forage. . . I have heard that smaller crayfish are more "desirable" (for lack of a better word) as food for Smallies, can any one somewhat verify this? Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch guys, looking forward to any responses!

#2 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm not a FLY MAN ... but very Familiar with SMALL MOUTH BASS in the GRAND and it's TRIBS.

CRAYFISH is an absolute KILLER.

The number one source of FOOD for SMALL MOUTH
- Minnows as well.

The SMALL CRAYFISH are the BEST!

They are either a very light RED in COLOUR or a BLUEISH-GREEN.

Good Luck!.

#3 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

I believe Blair has said it all. Try casting the small craw around rocky areas and clear bottoms. This will make it look like it's foraging for food and lost it's cover of the rocks. I have not fished the Grand so not familiar with it. Always try to match the hatch. Your craw fly should resemble the natural ones there, as Blair said. All craws move in a jerk jerk motion as you probably know. I would try to imitate a craw that has just molted if possible, I think they will be lighter or paler then the adults in colour.

Good luck.

#4 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

I would try to imitate a craw that has just molted if possible, I think they will be lighter or paler then the adults in colour.

Absolutely!

The MOLTED CRAYFISH (Soft Shell) are the BEST! The BOMB!

They are LIGHT CAMO GREEN. (No RED)

I suspect than when they molt they may also SMELL DIFFERNENT.

The BRONZE seem to know immediately, and just SMASH the MOLTS.

The crayfish molt many times. Just llike a Snake. As they grow, a "new" coat is needed.

I use 1" - 1" 1/2 Crayfish.

Posted Image

This one is at the LIMIT for SIZE (NO BIGGER!)
Notice the DARK GREEN/BLUEISH and BROWN in the Crayfish Colours.

I'd only find like 1/10 molted ones when finding & using the LIVE BAIT found on SITE.

#5 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hey brother, check this out...Posted Image

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/tabou-daddy/

#6 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Cool craw CC. I think I did that with the eyes, take heavy mono and melt the end to a ball to look like eyes. It's a fun fly to tie. Thanks for posting the site.

#7 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Cool craw CC. I think I did that with the eyes, take heavy mono and melt the end to a ball to look like eyes. It's a fun fly to tie. Thanks for posting the site.

No probs Grub...I chose it as it looks like an easy tie...and yeah, heavy mono and a bic...Posted Image

#8 Ertzies

Ertzies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hey brother, check this out...Posted Image

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/tabou-daddy/

Such a nice pattern! I have seen some very similar to this in research. Guess i should learn how to tie that sucker huh? haha Thanks for that post CC

#9 Ertzies

Ertzies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for your suggestions Blair! I will definitely put all that in to consideration when attempting to tie or purchasing some from my fly shop!

#10 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I have a crayfish from The Grand River. He was suppose to be bait but my daughter talked me into keeping him because he has lost a claw. Unfortunatly he hasnt molted latley so the colouring is a bit red. Thought I would share him with you.

http://canadianangle...sh/MOV042.html#

Enjoy!

#11 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have a crayfish from The Grand River. He was suppose to be bait but my daughter talked me into keeping him because he has lost a claw. Unfortunatly he hasnt molted latley so the colouring is a bit red. Thought I would share him with you.

Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing. I guess he'll never be bait! Out of curiosity, what do you feed him?

#12 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for sharing. I guess he'll never be bait! Out of curiosity, what do you feed him?

Lol probably not, my daughter would hate me.

I feed him regular fish pellets. Once they are soft he just nibbles on them. It's pretty cool!

#13 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Lol probably not, my daughter would hate me.

I feed him regular fish pellets. Once they are soft he just nibbles on them. It's pretty cool!

Thanks for the reply. It sounds awesome!

#14 Ertzies

Ertzies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Enjoy!

Thats awesome haha

#15 Ertzies

Ertzies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

Went out on the grand today, and got 5 smallies and one largemouth with a cray pattern i picked up! None of them were big, i think the biggest being only 10" or so. Posted Image

Hopefully that photo shows up lol

#16 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Went out on the grand today, and got 5 smallies and one largemouth with a cray pattern i picked up! None of them were big, i think the biggest being only 10" or so. Posted Image

Hopefully that photo shows up lol

That looks like a FAT bass! Congrats on catching em on the fly!

Is the red on the anal fin a grand river thing? I never noticed it on large mouth's I catch...

#17 Ertzies

Ertzies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

That looks like a FAT bass! Congrats on catching em on the fly!

Is the red on the anal fin a grand river thing? I never noticed it on large mouth's I catch...

That ones a little smallmouth, i didn't get a photo of the large, wish i had though! In regards to the red colouring a lot of smallies i pull out of the grand have similar reddish tips, but a few stand out more than others, I'm not quite sure as to why, perhaps sand or bottom colour or maybe from what they eat, I'd have to look that one up :P sorry!! haha Thanks for the congrats as well!!

#18 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Congrats on the nice bass. That's a nice one, looks like it's got a irritated anus......lol.

#19 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Enjoy!

They are KILLERS in a FISH TANK!
My brother would always REMOVE a claw on his crayfish, cause if he didnt .... every morning, a different fish would be gone.

lol

They always hunt at night

#20 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

They are KILLERS in a FISH TANK!
My brother would always REMOVE a claw on his crayfish, cause if he didnt .... every morning, a different fish would be gone.

lol

They always hunt at night

I know a guy who is a crawfish doctor (not a crayfish vet, but someone who has their phd in crayfish) who is a biology teacher at a school. He has tanks and tanks for them and only allows catfish to be in the same tanks after a small baby sunfish was found dead and eaten...