• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Tangled Spool

Tangled Spool

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

First of all, I would say, I'm not playing a hero role here but just expressing my concern and wonder if you have had similar experiences and what you have done. I went yesterday to the river, the water was clear but still a lot of salmon activity; we started using roe but 45 minutes after, not even 1 single bite despite there were lots of fish in the pool; in the shore, suddenly 2 guys appeared and started to cast triple hook spoons to the spot where the fish congregates; come on!! are you kidding me and think that I don't know what you're trying to do? the water was so shallow! how the hell would you even think in casting heavy spoons?? well, they made it, 3 cohos in less than 20 minutes, all of them snagged by the tail or the fin; The guy beside me told me this is the 2nd day in a row they show up and do the same with those spinning rods and lines thick as ropes.
I thought in calling the MNR but I forgot my phone at home and anyways sure they would say: we'll take you information and we'll check; then they won't show up until 5 hours later or the next day....I know that they're busy these days but this is just outrageous.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

#2 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Unfortunately confrontation is the only option. Just tell them that snagging is illegal and that you were there first so the least they can do is fish the pool in a way that doesnt disrupt your fishing opportunity.

Another option is to call the MNR while you are standing right beside them. Let them overhear you talking to the MNR describing what they look like and what they are doing. Then if possible take picture of their license plate....if that doesnt change their ways then nothing will.

#3 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have no faith in the MNR anymore. After the fiasco in Port Hope, they have lost a huge amount of my respect.

And now that salmon are starting to flood the western tribs, its going to continue to get worse, and once again, no sign of the MNR.

Bronte is sooooooooo low right now. No fish stands a fighting chance. That creek is really hurting due to the erosion up at Claybank. It's like a stream going through there right now. Very sad state of affairs.

I don't understand.. there is literally 5000 offences a minute at the popular spots, yet no MNR in sight.

Meanwhile, you'll see a CO every day on some remote back woods lake, that takes 50 hours to walk to, and he will be checking to make sure that your walleye isn't 0.00000005 inches over the slot size....

The priorities are completely messed.

#4 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

First of all, I would say, I'm not playing a hero role here but just expressing my concern and wonder if you have had similar experiences and what you have done. I went yesterday to the river, the water was clear but still a lot of salmon activity; we started using roe but 45 minutes after, not even 1 single bite despite there were lots of fish in the pool; in the shore, suddenly 2 guys appeared and started to cast triple hook spoons to the spot where the fish congregates; come on!! are you kidding me and think that I don't know what you're trying to do? the water was so shallow! how the hell would you even think in casting heavy spoons?? well, they made it, 3 cohos in less than 20 minutes, all of them snagged by the tail or the fin; The guy beside me told me this is the 2nd day in a row they show up and do the same with those spinning rods and lines thick as ropes.
I thought in calling the MNR but I forgot my phone at home and anyways sure they would say: we'll take you information and we'll check; then they won't show up until 5 hours later or the next day....I know that they're busy these days but this is just outrageous.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

It's your word against theirs. They can't be ticketed for using thick line or lures in the creek, because both can be used legitimately. They can be ticketed if they are caught keeping a fish that they have snagged. Were they keeping the fish?

If you report hotspots for snaggers to the MNR, they will eventually go there. But they only have so many COs.

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Meanwhile, you'll see a CO every day on some remote back woods lake, that takes 50 hours to walk to, and he will be checking to make sure that your walleye isn't 0.00000005 inches over the slot size....

I think so too. But I also hear they are very understaffed so that may also be a factor.

#6 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

i would not advise confrontation but I would dummy up and say somthing like hey guys cool fish take their picture,take one of their vehicle w/licence plate and call the MNR on your cell...you don't know these people or what they are capable of...
Unfortunately we have the same problem up here as well...I never used to but when ever I go fishing now I carry a camera and take a pic of the licence plates of the vehicles parked by the river/lake...
Years ago I met some Americans and they put me onto doing this as they said if somthing happened to their vehicle at least this way they would have some chance of recourse being visitors from a foreign country you can fully understand why they would take such precautions! :idea:
Latter after everthing checked out ok at the campsite they would delete the pics not needed. :)

#7 Tangled Spool

Tangled Spool

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

It's your word against theirs. They can't be ticketed for using thick line or lures in the creek, because both can be used legitimately. They can be ticketed if they are caught keeping a fish that they have snagged. Were they keeping the fish?

If you report hotspots for snaggers to the MNR, they will eventually go there. But they only have so many COs.

oh yes....they kept all of them...I would say they went away with around 50 pounds of fish.

#8 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

oh yes....they kept all of them...I would say they went away with around 50 pounds of fish.

Just call it in to tips, take a picture of their plate and car, and try to get it on video if you can. I don't suggest confrontation as it may lead to a fight. Fish the deeper pools, the majority of snaggers I see are all fishing the shallow runs where they can see the fish.

#9 pop-vlado

pop-vlado

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

I just don't understand the appeal of snagging a big ass salmon.

1. Not challenging to do. In fact, if all you're after is the meat then you can just net the fish in the shallow water. Why even bother using a rod and reel? Why pretend to be a "fisherman"? I mean does anyone think that snagging a huge fish in 2 feet of water is actually "fishing"?

2. Why would anyone want to eat a 4-5 year old salmon that is at the end of it's life cycle in the first place? Gross

#10 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have no faith in the MNR anymore. After the fiasco in Port Hope, they have lost a huge amount of my respect.

And now that salmon are starting to flood the western tribs, its going to continue to get worse, and once again, no sign of the MNR.

Bronte is sooooooooo low right now. No fish stands a fighting chance. That creek is really hurting due to the erosion up at Claybank. It's like a stream going through there right now. Very sad state of affairs.

I don't understand.. there is literally 5000 offences a minute at the popular spots, yet no MNR in sight.

Yours seem to be slightly skewed as well.. Considering your multiple posts in a certain thread the other day... you likely caused some of this Chaos on that specific west trib..
-Did you notice the views in that thread?

You talk like an advocate, but your actions show a different side..

#11 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Just call it in to tips, take a picture of their plate and car, and try to get it on video if you can. I don't suggest confrontation as it may lead to a fight. Fish the deeper pools, the majority of snaggers I see are all fishing the shallow runs where they can see the fish.

+1

#12 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Yours seem to be slightly skewed as well.. Considering your multiple posts in a certain thread the other day... you likely caused some of this Chaos on that specific west trib..

I agree with river ninja
You can say you had a great day without naming the streams or rivers

#13 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think the Internet is a great tool for learning new strategies, but when someone comes on and says there are a tons of fish at x river I hope they don't complain afterwards about how every pool is taken and how the parking lot is full :shock:

#14 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Even up here in AK fish and game are spread VERY thin. They cannot be everywhere. Just keep educating people poliltely and keep the tips coming. Not worth getting into a bad situation.

#15 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

SIMPLE

Make the whole darn system C + R only

Season Opener December 1...

Problem solved

#16 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

I did. But this forum is viewed CONSIDERABLY less than .. say.. OFN... FF... NFN etc..

There wasn't a large assortment of people snagging this weekend. The only reason I posted anything is because it was the first big initial run, and the water was high.

I went back yesterday and I counted 3 fish up to the QEW.

For every snagger, there are a bunch of legitimate people out there. I met a lot of them on the river. And helped them how to fish the proper way.

Sure, people showed up at Dark to rape and pillage the creek... but my post had nothing to do with that. They are there every night, and have been there every night since the beginning of August. Just like they are every year.

There was a large amount of Father/Son combos out there on the weekend, more than I've ever seen. And if my post brought more of that then I really don't give a hoot about what you think.

#17 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

And if my post brought more of that then I really don't give a hoot about what you think.

Exactly...
-Why didn't you post that info up on any of the other forums? Oh wait, that's cus you would have been banned in a heartbeat.

Ninja Edit: We all know that it was a snag fest last weekend.. so don't try and kid yourself.

#18 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

Exactly...
-Why didn't you post that info up on any of the other forums? Oh wait, that's cus you would have been banned in a heartbeat.

Ninja Edit: We all know that it was a snag fest last weekend.. so don't try and kid yourself.

Because I don't post there anymore due to the bunch of elitists that think they run the angling world of ontario.

And if it was a snag fest, it was a snag fest BEFORE my post.. not after.

My post had nothing to do with the amount of snaggers that were at the creek before vs after. So you don't kid yourself.

Bronte parking lot is always full this time of the year every weekend. Regardless if theres fish or not.

#19 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I did. But this forum is viewed CONSIDERABLY less than .. say.. OFN... FF... NFN etc..

There wasn't a large assortment of people snagging this weekend. The only reason I posted anything is because it was the first big initial run, and the water was high.

I went back yesterday and I counted 3 fish up to the QEW.

For every snagger, there are a bunch of legitimate people out there. I met a lot of them on the river. And helped them how to fish the proper way.

Sure, people showed up at Dark to rape and pillage the creek... but my post had nothing to do with that. They are there every night, and have been there every night since the beginning of August. Just like they are every year.

There was a large amount of Father/Son combos out there on the weekend, more than I've ever seen. And if my post brought more of that then I really don't give a hoot about what you think.

My buddies and I get a lot of flack because we report on a lot of trips we take. There are no big surprises. There are books written, articles, and the internet. It is sure no big surprise at any river if they are on the road system. I report because I like to share experiences. Because it may help someone out. Hell, I check reports as well. I get pumped at seeing photos and reading reports. We have countless books on all the road side streams here in Alaska. There are no big surprises. It irks me when I get flack for reporting on a popular river such as the Kenai. Really? The Kenai is huge, I am not stating where on the Kenai. I moved up here with no knowlegde of how to fish up here. The reports and forums here helped me out tremenously. If I can help someone out, like you said a father son team, all the better. I am on this forum to gain knowledge so I have some sort of idea where to go and what to do when I visit every year. You don't have to share specififc spots, but to give flack for someone reporting on a roadside stream/river is crazy.

#20 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Yeah. I've seen it almost every time I go out. People will snag and their fish will wrap around me. I didn't know what to do in that situation so I stood there and watched the line break.

I do quite abit of night fishing and was stopped by the mnr before I made it to te water ( I was in the parking lot) i found it so interesting that they stopped only 3/20 people.. But those that were snagging were not spoken to as they were hidding and snagging. Seemed like they didnt want to go out of there way to check people. Only those 20ft from them. W.e personally i think it depends on the situation because if there are people who dont care about laws or have any eduicate, who's is to say they wouldn't try to harm you. I'd rather see a salmon get gutt than myself. Also what I realized is that some people really don't know how to catch these fish nor what fishing tackle is condemned at the river.