• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

inflate fines to an astronomical number and it will tin out the herd of risk takers and idiots...

Historically we've proven that increased fines don't work. DUI fines, racing fines, no insurance fines... all been bumped 1000% in the last 15 years - not to mention the suspensions have also increased. Hasn't made a significant difference and in a couple of those cases it's gotten worse.

To borrow your own words, 'risk takers and idiots' are just that. IMO they ain't gonna change.

#102 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

I just read this thread from start to finish for the first time. It has certainly wandered around all over the place.
Going back to the original post about snagging and what to do. I'm a passive person, so confrontation is out for me. Besides that any snagger who is after roe is likely to be carrying a sharp knife. :mellow:
Earlier this year I noticed people walking away from a river I fish with Bass before the season was open. It was happening every time I was there and I began to call the MNR repeatedly. I even called 3 times on a Saturday I didn't fish because I was confident infractions were taking place. The next week when I was there some officers showed up and a number of tickets were handed out. They didn't get the people I saw the previous weeks, but at least they got some and hopefully this will get the word out that they are around ( albeit understaffed.).
As I was being checked ( and every thing was in order :) ) I casually asked what brought them out that day. The answer was they had received repeated complaints about the area. :D Talking to other good anglers later I found out I wasn't the only one who had called the tips line. It does work. The results may not be as fast as you'd like. But enough people complain about a certain area, they eventually show up. And at places like Bronte, The Credit or The Grand they are bound to get someone.

Alfie.

#103 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I just read this thread from start to finish for the first time. It has certainly wandered around all over the place.
Going back to the original post about snagging and what to do. I'm a passive person, so confrontation is out for me. Besides that any snagger who is after roe is likely to be carrying a sharp knife. :mellow:
Earlier this year I noticed people walking away from a river I fish with Bass before the season was open. It was happening every time I was there and I began to call the MNR repeatedly. I even called 3 times on a Saturday I didn't fish because I was confident infractions were taking place. The next week when I was there some officers showed up and a number of tickets were handed out. They didn't get the people I saw the previous weeks, but at least they got some and hopefully this will get the word out that they are around ( albeit understaffed.).
As I was being checked ( and every thing was in order :) ) I casually asked what brought them out that day. The answer was they had received repeated complaints about the area. :D Talking to other good anglers later I found out I wasn't the only one who had called the tips line. It does work. The results may not be as fast as you'd like. But enough people complain about a certain area, they eventually show up. And at places like Bronte, The Credit or The Grand they are bound to get someone.

Alfie.

Thanks Alfie, your report of the hotline working does help. I used the hotline twice this year. One of the times I got a call back from the CO to inform me that it was his day off the day I called. The other time I didn't get a reply unfortunately.

#104 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

Will the cops take this serious enough to show up if you called them? They can and will take the place of CO if none is available. What we need is to put a Timmy's on every river so there's always a cop around when you need them........lol.

#105 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

Will the cops take this serious enough to show up if you called them? They can and will take the place of CO if none is available. What we need is to put a Timmy's on every river so there's always a cop around when you need them........lol.

Police are obligated to show up if you call, has nothing to do with the seriousness of something. If your kids are making chalk drawings on your sidewalk and your neighbors call the cops, they have to attend. Terrible example but you get the idea.

The bottom line is this, public safety and property safety (Crown property included) are under the mandate of police. When in doubt call the cops.

BUT!!!

Please keep in mind that call you make takes away a resource. That cop is now attending to your snagging call. I'm biased but I wouldn't want that resource looking into a snagging complaint.

#106 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Police are obligated to show up if you call, has nothing to do with the seriousness of something. If your kids are making chalk drawings on your sidewalk and your neighbors call the cops, they have to attend. Terrible example but you get the idea.

The bottom line is this, public safety and property safety (Crown property included) are under the mandate of police. When in doubt call the cops.

BUT!!!

Please keep in mind that call you make takes away a resource. That cop is now attending to your snagging call. I'm biased but I wouldn't want that resource looking into a snagging complaint.

Unfortunately, the only thing cops do now, is hand out tickets.. They found that it was a cash-cow.. :angry:

#107 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Alfie, your report of the hotline working does help. I used the hotline twice this year. One of the times I got a call back from the CO to inform me that it was his day off the day I called. The other time I didn't get a reply unfortunately.

I think part of the key was repeated calls. I called about 10 times in a 2 week period. And found out later that others had been calling about the situation too.
Hey Grubman. Can we put Beer Stores by all those Timmy's? :lol:

Alfie.

#108 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hey Grubman. Can we put Beer Stores by all those Timmy's? :lol:

Alfie.

Sure thing why not. There's already a Wendy's. Then you'll be able to have a beer with your burger, and be a wide awake drunk.......lol.

#109 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I was also thinking we could put a Cop Shop right in Petro Park, but on second thought 4 or 5 Timmy's would result in more Cops being there at any given time. Lol.

Alfie.

#110 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

t lets invite cops fishing with us-i know afew swat cops---fish with us and when the bad crap goes down we will have ourselves some back up lol---i personally am not worried about confrontation---i have told people off many times--if they take a run at me 27 years of muay thai will come natural to defend myself....lol jokes...i love these fools that tough--i am not old and fat --lol but take my fish and treat them like shite and we gonna rock and roll hahahahaha

#111 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

I was finally bored enough at work to read through this thread. I figured it would be mostly BS and I wasn't surprised...

Gotta say though, it is nice when people can actually talk and get things off their chest without threads being locked and disappearing. Unlike other forums...

Spinners with treble hooks or single hooks? I hope single hooks... I'm having a hard time imaging this working and getting fish in the mouth... I'd just expect the trebles to catch in fins and wherever else they brush up against the salmon. This would happen before the salmon would get angry enough to chase the spinner... that's what I'd expect to happen at least.

I've never heard of people fishing salmon with spinners before. If I'd have seen it I would have thought it as snagging. I really have a lot to learn...

Yes indeed you do have alot of to learn....

Talk to me next August or early September and I'll show you why people love to have chinook salmon around, and how to catch them legit on spinners. :)

#112 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

If you'd care to read the attached below, please do so.

As much as I might like to, I have no Direct Commenst to make on some of the Comments I've read so far.

"Brick Walls" Etc. Etc.

SNAGGING any type of Fish is NOT the way to go!!

YOU should Handle the situation the way YOU feel is best at the time, given the EXISTING Circumstances.

Forget the "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" who ALWAYS think YOU should do it, or have done it, THEIR WAY.

(Comment Removed On Edit)

Edited by FishHawk, 08 October 2012 - 12:57 AM.