• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

hey yall, i was out at the snageen the other week, fish were biteing almost anything all day, untill 11 am, them they slowed down. i did notice someone i knew was still getting them to hit on almost every drift. i asked what he was trying, he told me trout beed... i have heard about them before, but have never tried them my self or for that fact dont even know how to use them, if anyone has experience with them plz be kind enough to share some methods. it seems alomost better then roe bags. i would like to find out more about them. maybe a few pics on how they are set up..

thanks
cheers~!LJ

#2 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

Beads simulate single eggs. Basically rig it so that the bead sits about 2-4 inches above your hook. Drift it like you would roe.

Posted Image
^Like that

#3 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Hey Log what's in your creek?...lol. Did you find any fish in there?

I tried the bead at the rouge river, but the rouge doesn't have much fish there, and have to give it another try somewhere else. Everyone was saying to put a 8-10mm bead on the line and use a toothpick or thread the line thru the hole twice to keep it in place. I got the beads from $rama, and probably should have used a red sharpie to "paint" the toothpick. Then you tie on your bare hook.

River, is this legal to use? You are fishing with a bare hook, even though the lure/bait is above the hook, it's still bare. This could be seen as snagging by the CO. Not all COs are nice and understanding, the ones I met have been, but I have heard horror stories about COs that look for a reason to pull out their shotguns on unarmed otherwise innocent anglers. They suspected, or just went off the deep end of authority and was ready to shoot a buddy of mine.

#4 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hey Log what's in your creek?...lol. Did you find any fish in there?

I tried the bead at the rouge river, but the rouge doesn't have much fish there, and have to give it another try somewhere else. Everyone was saying to put a 8-10mm bead on the line and use a toothpick or thread the line thru the hole twice to keep it in place. I got the beads from $rama, and probably should have used a red sharpie to "paint" the toothpick. Then you tie on your bare hook.

River, is this legal to use? You are fishing with a bare hook, even though the lure/bait is above the hook, it's still bare. This could be seen as snagging by the CO. Not all COs are nice and understanding, the ones I met have been, but I have heard horror stories about COs that look for a reason to pull out their shotguns on unarmed otherwise innocent anglers. They suspected, or just went off the deep end of authority and was ready to shoot a buddy of mine.

It's perfectly legal. The fish take the bead and end up getting hooked outside the mouth for the most part. There's no "snagging" involved. It's quite effective for steelhead. I sometimes run a bead as an attractor a few inches up from a roe bag.

#5 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's perfectly legal. The fish take the bead and end up getting hooked outside the mouth for the most part. There's no "snagging" involved. It's quite effective for steelhead. I sometimes run a bead as an attractor a few inches up from a roe bag.

^+1

#6 GrandRiverDrifter

GrandRiverDrifter

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

I tried trout beads for my first time at thornbury about a week and a half ago but didn't have any luck.

#7 pop-vlado

pop-vlado

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

They are my #1 bait for steelhead. They come in various colours and sizes. When the water is gin clear, I go with the small, orange coloured ones that look like fresh salmon eggs. In murky water I will go to the bigger size. During spring time or in early winter I sometimes go with the pale coloured eggs, which simulate old salmon eggs. The fish hit them like crazy and they really do work for me. You rig them 2" away from a bare hook. Theoretically, you don't need to space the hook away from the bead. This is done just so that when the fish inhales the bead, it doesn't end up swallowing your hook. Cheers!

#8 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

This is an extremely effective way to traget trout. This is the prodominant way of fishing for rainbows and dollies here in AK. I first start the rig off by adding a small split shot to my tippet. About a foot up my line. I then select my bead. and string it through my tippet. I then tie on my hook. I then use a toothpick to peg the bed aboy two inches from the hook. You do not have to color the toothpick. Use regular wooden thoothpick, not a colored one. You then cut the excess toothpick off with a nail clipper. Make sure to push the toothpick with the back of your nail clippers to make sure the bead is secured. This way the bead will not move when hitting rocks. I add an idicator at the top of my leader depending on what river I am fishing. You then dead drift the bead in a natural drift and wait for the take. When the salmon egg drop is on, there is nothing more effective in catching trout than a bead.

Here is the standard bead rig.
Posted Image

#9 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Sizes vary and used in different conditions. I mainly use 8mm beads for rainbows and dollies and occasionaly size 6mm. Sometimes a 10mm bead will work when water is murky. For steelhead I have used sioze 12 or 14mm. Just adjust to what you are fishing for and conditions of the water.

#10 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Also instead of using toothpicks you can get "Peg-its." Most fishing places that carry beads have them.

Posted Image

The ones I've seen come in clear. For a cheaper alternative you can go to dollarma and get the silicone basting brushes and rip the bristles off. It's basically the same thing as a peg it, but the only brushes I've seen that work properly are the black ones.

Here's a link for another way of rigging the bead without using a peg it or toothpick.

http://coloradoskies...ed-egg-rigging/

Cheers. :cool:

#11 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

yea you can use those too. I never bothered with them. Too limp IMO. Seems a little harder to use than a toothpick, especially when your fingers loose a lot of their function when your fishing in the colder months of the year. :) Plus a box of 500 toothpicks are .99 cents. Of course everyone has their preferences.

#12 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

http://coloradoskies...ed-egg-rigging/[/url]

Cheers. :cool:

+1 Good Site to see all the different types ... Great reference

Here`s an excerpt of some of their Info:

Why are Pegged Eggs So Effective?

I believe this is a two part answer. The fist part has to do with the colors available. The selection of troutbeads can allow you to pick colors that are spot on to match the natural selection in whatever river you are fishing. The second and equally important is the way in which they tumble along the bottom. Since these beads are made of plastic, they have more weight than the conventional yarn egg. The extra weight keeps you along the bottom. Furthermore, since the hook is not attached to the egg itself, they don’t get hung up nearly as much.

Posted Image

What are the Best Sizes and Colors of Troutbeads?

On rivers where fish have not yet seen troutbeads, we time and time again find the glow roe and the mottled glow roe to the most effective. On rivers such as the Frying Pan, where virtually everyone is fishing beads these days, the glow roe has lost a bit of it’s effectiveness. This is when you need to mix it up a bit. The mottled white snow roe has become very effective, and peachy pearl has it’s place. The bottom line is, there will always be a bead color that works and the fish haven’t seen much of just yet. On smaller tailwaters where the fish see heavy pressure we prefer the 6mm bead and even the 4mm on waters such as the Taylor River. On big rivers, where the water is less clear such at Grey Reef or the Colorado River we fish a lot of 8mm troutbeads. In general, the less selective the fish, the less spot on we try to be with our beads. For example, on the Miracle Mile a chartreuse 8mm blood dot bead is deadly. Try fishing this bead on the South Platte at Deckers and the fish will run for cover!

I bought some GLOW BEADS as WELL.
I would put ONE in front of my ROE BAG presentation while fishing at NIGHT.

I believe they make a `Difference`.

#13 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

It's a bit odd how they call them "pegged egg beads" and then proceed to show you how to tie them! Seems like a lot of trouble compared to using a toothpick.

#14 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Beads simulate single eggs. Basically rig it so that the bead sits about 2-4 inches above your hook. Drift it like you would roe.

Posted Image
^Like that

Thanks!

I will definitely be trying this.

BTW, I love what you did there... Pic showing the rig setup, plus the results you can expect using said rig! :cool:

#15 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

I find peggits to be much easier to use than tooth picks. Im not sure where the high price comes from, no competition? Surely they cant possible cost that much to make.

Aknook have u ever tried the shots without the wings? u must get tangled pretty often using those winged shots.

#16 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

I find peggits to be much easier to use than tooth picks. Im not sure where the high price comes from, no competition? Surely they cant possible cost that much to make.

Aknook have u ever tried the shots without the wings? u must get tangled pretty often using those winged shots.

Ugh, sometimes I wish I did use winged shots. At least the shots right under my float.

Yah, what's with paying $7 for pegits, rip off.

#17 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks!

I will definitely be trying this.

BTW, I love what you did there... Pic showing the rig setup, plus the results you can expect using said rig! :cool:

:grin: They certainly are deadly

#18 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

if u know how to work them they can out fish roe any time of the day. i've seen it way to many times :grin:

#19 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

I will tie on a bead faster than I would tie on roe... First light = roe bags, dirty filthy stinky, puss spewing roe bags, once the sun is up I mostly have a bead tied... in clear water situations. They are super effective.

#20 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Does anybody use both simultaneously? Any reason why not, given that the hook is 'unoccupied', you might say ?