• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

How much did you all pay for your setups?

#22 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

hundreds. wish i could spend thousands but i can't.

roughly:

$100 for boat on sale at walmart 5 years ago

$160 for battery. got a bigger one with more capacity

$82 mount

$0 trolling motor. thanks to my cousin who has a bass boat. he won the motor in a raffle and didn't need it. 30lb thrust motors cost $150 maybe?

$5 circuit breaker

$11 for rope and 10lb weight used as anchor

$10 battery box

$40 for 2 life jackets

$50 for licence

$10 boat safety kit

$15 for electric car pump but that was in an ohio walmart. same coleman product was $40 at walmart here for some reason.

$10 for a ratchet and socket. learned the hard way. got a bunch of line tangled where the propeller screws on my motor was puttering along the grand in brantford. i had to row a long way as it was faster doing that. for the life of me i couldn't take off the bolt with the pliers i had. got home and the ratchet took it off no problem and i got rid of the excessive amounts of line tangled in there. much of it from previous uses i discovered. so always carry that with me in my bag.

#23 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

nice setup you got there. mine is similar.

i hope you didn't pay $82 for the motor mount like i did.

i should think about making a bench for mine too. hmmm...

dcq39l.jpg

Hard to tell in my pic but my boat is the same size as this one. 

Here is a pic of the floor I put together using plywood and carpet.  it comes apart in the middle so its easy to transport (PS it's upside down in this pic).

Photo2013-08-3055138PM_zps39291a27.jpg

Here is a closer look inside the boat.  I use two orange noodles as stabalizers to fill the gap between the floor and the wall of the boat.  No wobbling.  I am sure most of you would be impressed by my skillz B)

http://i1332.photobu...zps1e596cc5.jpg

#24 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

How much did you all pay for your setups?

Way less than a regular boat! lol

$360 for boat at SAIL last summer. It is a "fish hunter 360" 12 footer, multiple air chambers (5 in total) so that its very hard to sink if punctured.

$300 for battery (picked up a marine battery that has some special name for it but cant remember) and minn kota trolling motor

$50 for mount

$100 for 3 life jackets, 1 good one (mine) and 2 crappy tire specials (for my deck crew).

$50 for licence

$60-75 on boat safety gear (i have pretty much everything u can think of including flares)

$40 for air pump that is insufficient (i will have to get a better one this year)

$40 super compact anchor

$100 approx for floor and bench materials

I decided to get a boat after shore fishing didnt cut it anymore.  I did all of this in july and was on the water in August.  Thats exactly when my passion became an addiction (hence my joining the forum August 22). 

I can set up this boat in about 25 mins from car to water....that is, if I dont get hounded with questions from onlookers! LOL! 

#25 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

Nice setups...very cool.

Wayyyyy better than shore fishing.

#26 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

i am impressed with that bench. i'm not sure i could make that myself!

#27 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

i am impressed with that bench. i'm not sure i could make that myself!

Too easy.  I went to lowes and had them cut the length I needed in wood, then cut enough carpet to wrap the benches, staple gun or nails and boom, done.  The floor was trickier but probably the most useful.

#28 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

FG---that floor looks pretty neat! :smile:  What are those little star shaped doohickeys? I assume they are nuts that can be hand tightened but I've never seen that particular version around before.

#29 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

FG---that floor looks pretty neat! :smile:  What are those little star shaped doohickeys? I assume they are nuts that can be hand tightened but I've never seen that particular version around before.

Thanks :)  The star shaped doohickeys are in fact nuts and bolts.  I picked them because there are no sharp edges - important feature since those star shaped doohickeys rest on top of the inflatable floor.

This year I will have better pics, hopefully with my captain hat on...

#30 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yeah its pretty sweet FG, the bracket for the trolling motor did you also get that at sail? What is the name of your river yacht?

#31 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Yeah its pretty sweet FG, the bracket for the trolling motor did you also get that at sail? What is the name of your river yacht?

I didnt get the materials for the mount at sail, went to a marine store.

haha! river yacht, I like the sound of that.

I call her the S.S. Envy..........shes green and youre jealous!

#32 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

:lol: good one! So did you buy those doodads(aka doohickeys) at a reg hardware store? I have another little project on the go----a collapsible tobog for ice fishing---where they would come in handy.

#33 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Try home hardware. My local one.has.knobs like.that

#34 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Right on the money !

#35 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

SS Envy. Great name. My boat is called the Bass Killa 3000.

#36 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

I didnt get the materials for the mount at sail, went to a marine store.

haha! river yacht, I like the sound of that.

Nice....:)

#37 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

SS Envy. Great name. My boat is called the Bass Killa 3000.

Awesome......where do you live in the city?

#38 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

I'm west end. Lived in Brampton and Sauga but just moved to Burlington. I'm all over the small lakes and rivers at this end of the city.

I know you're east end and I see all the posts from you east end folks fishing those tribs out there. Lots of tribs out that way but not so many small public lakes nearby for inflatables. Frenchmans I know you could get away with on a calm day but I was wondering where else you could put that boat in locally. Mouth of the Rouge I know you could easily do but without the motor. Whitby Harbour too. Fished there from shore for carp a couple times. You must be taking it to the south end of Scugog?

Next time I'm out that way in the summer I'm gonna have to try one of those spots.

#39 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm west end. Lived in Brampton and Sauga but just moved to Burlington. I'm all over the small lakes and rivers at this end of the city.

I know you're east end and I see all the posts from you east end folks fishing those tribs out there. Lots of tribs out that way but not so many small public lakes nearby for inflatables. Frenchmans I know you could get away with on a calm day but I was wondering where else you could put that boat in locally. Mouth of the Rouge I know you could easily do but without the motor. Whitby Harbour too. Fished there from shore for carp a couple times. You must be taking it to the south end of Scugog?

Next time I'm out that way in the summer I'm gonna have to try one of those spots.

Actually I havent been brave enough to try all those different spots.  I only frequented one that you mentioned but I will definitely try some others this year.

What really gets me excited is thinking about drifting down a river....................

#40 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Good stuff. I've been using my inflatable for 5 years and the motor for 3. More experience means bigger waters. I've learned so much about what the boat and motor can handle and pay specific attention to the wind, bigger boats and the rules of the water now. Last summer I took it on to Penetang Harbour and then I even took it as far as 100m off shore in Lake O on a day when the water looked like glass.

I'm not a drifter but I do suppose it helps the colder months pass by quicker instead of sitting at home and watching fishing shows on TV.