• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

Good stuff. I've been using my inflatable for 5 years and the motor for 3. More experience means bigger waters. I've learned so much about what the boat and motor can handle and pay specific attention to the wind, bigger boats and the rules of the water now. Last summer I took it on to Penetang Harbour and then I even took it as far as 100m off shore in Lake O on a day when the water looked like glass.

I'm not a drifter but I do suppose it helps the colder months pass by quicker instead of sitting at home and watching fishing shows on TV.

LOL, what I meant was drifting the BOAT down a river

#42 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

lol. i thought you may have caught that fish in your profile pic by drifting and that got you hooked on drifting. but ya, drifting the river is great too. i love river fishing by boat and that's where i take it the most locally. troll up river, stop and cast a few spots, troll again and then let it drift down river with the current.

already planning on taking it to the grand around port maitland and dunnville come spring time.

#43 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Nothing like drifting down a river…

Attached Images

• 7.jpeg

#44 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

Nothing like drifting down a river…

nice. you look comfortable there. there's a guy i see sometimes at my favourite local spot with pretty much the same rig.

i also tried something similar. borrowed a float tube once and went on the river with it in late october. despite having the full chest waders on i still got some water down there if you know what i mean.

#45 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

lol. i thought you may have caught that fish in your profile pic by drifting and that got you hooked on drifting. but ya, drifting the river is great too. i love river fishing by boat and that's where i take it the most locally. troll up river, stop and cast a few spots, troll again and then let it drift down river with the current.

already planning on taking it to the grand around port maitland and dunnville come spring time.

Me too. I try to keep the river names quiet tho!

#46 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

you guys are a bunch of babies, lol, when i had a fish hunter inflatable (the one with 6 layers that inflate) i took my trolling motor and we were out trolling lake O no problems even ounce with 20 km/h winds, wasn't pretty but caught us fish, then it grew small for us, the promised 6 person fit, barely fit 2 of us with our tack so we upgraded to a real boat, ok boat for one person i prefer my canoe or boat though now.

#47 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

you guys are a bunch of babies, lol, when i had a fish hunter inflatable (the one with 6 layers that inflate) i took my trolling motor and we were out trolling lake O no problems even ounce with 20 km/h winds, wasn't pretty but caught us fish, then it grew small for us, the promised 6 person fit, barely fit 2 of us with our tack so we upgraded to a real boat, ok boat for one person i prefer my canoe or boat though now.

i say we all line up in our inflatables and race each other across lake ontario. it'll be like the america's cup but with electric power instead of wind. probably more dangerous too.

#48 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

its not that dangerous, I've been in high winds, i would so do it if i still had my inflatable, ill compete with my sea-doo though, lol.

#49 JordanMcK

JordanMcK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

How much do one of those inflatable boats run for?... 

#50 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I got a 6 person "Fish-Hunter" inflatable for 500 but that was about 6 years ago, lol, probably much cheaper now but now that i have a canoe and boat i can easily say that if you can't buy a boat, a square back plastic canoe is waaaaaay better then an inflatable, a little more expensive but the speed it goes with a trolling motor, just doesn't compare to the speed an inflatable goes with that same trolling motor, more room, doesn't rip, faster, doesn't require set-up better in all views.

#51 Basschaser

Basschaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Don't canoes tip easily? I think the inflatables are more stable especially in rough water or when a wake from another boat comes across.

#52 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

I got a 6 person "Fish-Hunter" inflatable for 500 but that was about 6 years ago, lol, probably much cheaper now but now that i have a canoe and boat i can easily say that if you can't buy a boat, a square back plastic canoe is waaaaaay better then an inflatable, a little more expensive but the speed it goes with a trolling motor, just doesn't compare to the speed an inflatable goes with that same trolling motor, more room, doesn't rip, faster, doesn't require set-up better in all views.

LOL your comments always make me laugh. You're only correct about the speed. Maybe your fish hunter is all original and THAT'S your problem. I can guarantee that any person would be more comfortable (in all ways) fishing on my boat, especially compared to a canoe! Lol was that a serious statement you made??

#53 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

the Fish-Hunter is ok for maximum 2 people (thats the 6 person model) i had the older model but my friend has the new model, it is not comfortable, maybe its comfortable of you if you've never been in a real boat. If you put a wooden floor and benches yes its ok you can sit and stuff but by no means will you be as comfortable as in a square back canoe, pay the extra couple hundred and it is waaaaay better. I have a canoe and a boat, and had a Fish-Hunter if you think the old one was the problem the new one is the same thing, not for me, if you're a serious fisherman/girl its not for you, the bot can easily rip, it has lots of layers yes but i don't like to drive a boat with rips in it, you have to patch them, its a huge pain in the a$$ and not fun at all. Normal canoes tip easy but the square back i have, i got it on sale for 650 bucks, i can easily stand in it and fish, its not tippy at all, you have to try it to see, its 14 feet long, has a cooler in the middle seat a built in trolling mount (square back) until you try it you won't believe it, i thought it would be tippy too but when i got it, i could easily stand, have 3 guys in it with a dog and all gear comfortably get to the spot fast, troll with a good speed for musky and pike. Inflatables are the first stage, if i knew about the square back i have now i would never buy that inflatable crap. If you want to go inflatable, get the ones that are plastic on the sides and you can use a gas motor on it. Wherever i can't take my boat, like back lakes in minden, bancrfot, haliburton for browns, specks, rainbows and splake, i take my canoe, i love it and you actually get what you pay for, can't say the same for an inflatable, you could always read the reviews for each but hey its your money and choice, i was fishing in the holland river with the inflatable and a boat came by and i was bouncing all over the place, i can't say it was much better for a canoe but you can get away from the waves easily and it definitely won't tip over. You'd be surprised how well a canoe holds but hey i wouldn't be using it in rough waters anyways thats what my boat is for.

#54 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

What canoe do you have? The 14 ft. squareback...

#55 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Anybody tried 1 of these? I fished from 1 a friend had a few years back.. 

http://www.porta-bote.com/

#56 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Knuguy, clear your PM box, trying to send ya a message

#57 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

done!

#58 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

Anybody tried 1 of these? I fished from 1 a friend had a few years back.. 

http://www.porta-bote.com/

And how was it?

I would love to try this out...

#59 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

And how was it?

I would love to try this out...

It was great. As my 'handle' implies, I'm into canoeing. As others have said, though,they are not the most stable for fishing. That boat was. We just had a couple of canoe paddles, no motor. There was just a slight breeze that we managed to troll against, then drifted and cast downwind. It was in a Haliburton lake and I caught my second bow ever----a 5 lber filled with crays!

The boats are quite expensive, though. I have trouble justifying the cost for the few times I would use it.   

#60 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Lol I thought "knu" guy mean "new"guy. Never got canoe guy. :-)