• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Interesting weather leading up to this weekends outing. the rain on wed/thurs should definately make for some great fishing over the weekend but the rain on saturday wont be fun. Looks like this is going to be the true test of who the die hard guys are on here! lol

Bring the Goretex :mrgreen:

#42 Ivor

Ivor

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

What time does fishing open on that part of the river?

Planning on leaving Burlington at 2 am on Friday for a 3.5 hour drive to the campsite and a 5:30-6:00 ETA (if not earlier). If anyone needs a ride, I've got room for 2 and am hoping to stay Friday & Saturday.

#43 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

I am not sure if I will be able to make it, but I will say that if it's going to be raining, it may make some people uncomfortable, but the fishing will be excellent!

#44 Raptizzle

Raptizzle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Bring the Goretex :mrgreen:

hell yeah

#45 Stubby

Stubby

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

I must say i am truly stoked to be getting out for my first autumn Fishing adventure
Hope you seasoned pros are ready for alot of questions.....lol
Spent last night pre tying some florocarbon as i expect to have cold fingers out there

I am leaving London around 2 am Sat morning planning on arriving by 5 am, will be bringing along my Bro in law hope that is not a problem,
cant wait to say FISH ON!

#46 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

holy prizes batman! so what are the categories for all of this loot?!?

#47 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Ahh don't forget mee :). I'll be coming up with trini. Question to all who have fished the geen before on what scale floats should I bring up? I'm not sure how that river runs. I heard its pretty rough at times. umm also thank you mile Goethe amazing prizes!

#48 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just wondering how fishable is the water with no waders?

#49 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

dont worry you will get by, there are lots of fishable spots that dont require waders. I just wear mine to look cool. :cool:

#50 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

DEVIN, as for floats, on average, the bigger the better. Not to say you cant use 5 gram floats, you can... however some spots you need to bulk shot the #$@% out of your rig and only larger floats can be used to achieve this. You will be set with 12 gram floats for all purposes.

#51 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks dude! I was wondering who would answer my question :). I owe you a 12g ;)

#52 Ivor

Ivor

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

DEVIN, as for floats, on average, the bigger the better. Not to say you cant use 5 gram floats, you can... however some spots you need to bulk shot the #$@% out of your rig and only larger floats can be used to achieve this. You will be set with 12 gram floats for all purposes.

Raven Tackle have a few floats: http://www.raventackle.com/floats.htm. Apart from 12 grams weight, any particular shape? Thanks.

#53 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

Ask away! Either PM or ask through the board, I may not find the question within the forum, deep in a post or something. As for shape I haven't really messed around with that to know the difference between the float vs. its function... for me, as long as it floats its good enough :lol:

igm, because the 'geen is so large, sometimes you would want to hero drift into ChaseChromes' hole from 100 meters away, in order to do so, I would buy the floats with the fat red heads... because you can see them from a mile away... rather than the small red tipped ones. So from that website I would buy the FD Fast/Deep ( see the larger red top? ) vs. the SM Shallow/Medium, little red top exposed, harder to see how it tracks down stream through Chases' hole :lol:

Some holes you may be fishing have a fast drop off and aren't really long... so bulk shotting is necessary to get within the strike zone... grab a couple packs of huge split shot... easier to put on 1 large shot than 10 little ones.

#54 Ivor

Ivor

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

Ask away! Either PM or ask through the board, I may not find the question within the forum, deep in a post or something. As for shape I haven't really messed around with that to know the difference between the float vs. its function... for me, as long as it floats its good enough :lol:

igm, because the 'geen is so large, sometimes you would want to hero drift into ChaseChromes' hole from 100 meters away, in order to do so, I would buy the floats with the fat red heads... because you can see them from a mile away... rather than the small red tipped ones. So from that website I would buy the FD Fast/Deep ( see the larger red top? ) vs. the SM Shallow/Medium, little red top exposed, harder to see how it tracks down stream through Chases' hole :lol:

Some holes you may be fishing have a fast drop off and aren't really long... so bulk shotting is necessary to get within the strike zone... grab a couple packs of huge split shot... easier to put on 1 large shot than 10 little ones.

Thanks for the tip on 'hero drifting' into ChaseChromes' hole using a Fast-Deep red-fat headed top! :lol: As a newbie, I may be able to plead 'innocence'. :lol: And I'm assuming that this would work with a spinning rod and reel?

#55 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

:lol: Don't plead innocent... tell him Dozer told you that is the method used when float fishing upstream from fly fishermen :lol:

Of course it will work with a spinning reel, I used a spinning reel when float fishing for nearly two seasons.

#56 Ivor

Ivor

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

:lol: Don't plead innocent... tell him Dozer told you that is the method used when float fishing upstream from fly fishermen :lol:

Of course it will work with a spinning reel, I used a spinning reel when float fishing for nearly two seasons.

And would the setup consist of mono tied to a flouro leader?

#57 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

I'm sure it would help. I believe that because it is a fast system the fish don't get much time to think whether or not they want to hit the bait or not. So if you use mainline ( say 6 lb - 10 lb ) it would still work but I think you'd be better off using flourocarbon leaders in clear water ( less vis. in water, in case you snag and break off you can save some shot and the float, etc. ). I still would use some flouro leader, especially in low and clear conditions... say 6 lb - 8 lb test. If you are throwing hardware ( stickbaits, spoons, cranks, etc. ) don't even bother with flourocarbon if you have monofilament mainline... the fish go banana's for hardware and don't even look at the line.

#58 SynX

SynX

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Is anybody going up either Friday or Saturday and coming back Saturday night with space for one more?

#59 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Is anybody going up either Friday or Saturday and coming back Saturday night with space for one more?

I am considering going up tomorrow from Orangeville and returning Saturday night, you live near Orangeville right?

#60 SynX

SynX

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I am considering going up tomorrow from Orangeville and returning Saturday night, you live near Orangeville right?

About 30-40 mins away, but I could meet you in Orangeville or Caledon if anything.