• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

bought new boots and waders on the weekend, got a smoking deal--decided to go with rubber soles---wellll in rivers where its sandy they are great, went to a river with rocky bottom with some sludge on the rocks and seriously felt like i was filming blades of glory 2....i ended up stepping on a flat rock which migh as well have been a slip and slide---fell into the water face and all...i want to be able to out felt on these or make them a little stickier...any suggestions..and for the sake of my sanity do not suggest i buy simms....thanks folks

#2 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

You need studs.. Go to home depot and find some sharp point 1/4" HEX SCREWS and you should be good..
Note* You should measure the thickness of your soles to be certain of what size will work for you.

#3 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

i have really really soft foam sort of like flip flops soles--i dunno if anything will screw in to them

#4 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

Well, the easiest solution would be to buy simms.. :roll:

lol as river ninja stated, get the hex screws. I installed them in mine when I went up to the St. Mary's in August and haven't removed them since. Really gets a grip on those slippery rocks.

#5 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

studs,studs, and studs

#6 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

how though if i have a 1 inch thick very soft sole stuck to the hard sole?

#7 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

They should still hold..
Test it by getting some (they are very cheap) and tapping it in (Heel/toe/sides) to see if they will hold..

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

What about the strap on stud soles. I've seen them at Giant Tiger, forget how much. They are meant to go on shoes or boots and have studs on the bottom.

I haven't had too much problems with slipping, but I was considering Shoo Goo some felt strip on the soles of my boots. I was going to get the felt insoles from $rama, cut them width ways in strips and Goo them on only in some places, not the whole sole.

You could give that a shot. Good luck, hope you didn't get hurt.

#9 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

What about the strap on stud soles. I've seen them at Giant Tiger, forget how much. They are meant to go on shoes or boots and have studs on the bottom.

Those would also work for him.. I typically refer to those as "creepers".. Used them quite often when I would fish the ice breakers out west, during the cold months.

#10 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

how would he benefit from Simms?
Sounds like he needs the Korkers with swappable soles!! LOL jk OP

studs will do the trick. 'creepers' would work too, although i find the studs on them are usually pretty tiny and not all that useful.

#11 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

i find the studs on them are usually pretty tiny and not all that useful.

Big studs arent always a good thing. I have big rounded studs on my current wading boots and they are terrible! I have such a hard time balancing on dry rocks because the studs are difficult to stand on. I wish I had the smaller studs that arent rounded....

#12 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

bought new boots and waders on the weekend, got a smoking deal--decided to go with rubber soles---wellll in rivers where its sandy they are great, went to a river with rocky bottom with some sludge on the rocks and seriously felt like i was filming blades of glory 2....i ended up stepping on a flat rock which migh as well have been a slip and slide---fell into the water face and all...i want to be able to out felt on these or make them a little stickier...any suggestions..and for the sake of my sanity do not suggest i buy simms....thanks folks

I believe you are a studdly guy. Hahaha. Jokes

#13 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

even if i somehow manage to screw in those studs--one little tip inside and my neoprenese will leak....argggh

#14 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

If your sole is 1" thick and you tap in 1/4" screws.. How you would you get a leak?

#15 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

because the lugs have nothing to set in---the sole is very soft they will just rip out---there is a hard sole below the soft one but as i said it about an inch thick(soft sole)

i havbe the hodgman bear stream i think they are called

#16 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Ahhh.. I see now (was blinded but!..) You may want to stick with the creepers as another had mentioned... either that, or buy some.... :razz:

#17 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

solution---KORKERS METAL HEADS

yeah baby--

#18 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

korkers all the way. Felt is slowly being banned everywhere. ban took affect here in AK this year. The studs work like a champ.

#19 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Yup doing away with felt on many systems, states + countries. Still think felt + small studs out performs vibram rubber...EXCEPT when your fishing in slushy conditions Dec to March--darn slush builds up under your soles in seconds!!

#20 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

Yup doing away with felt on many systems, states + countries. Still think felt + small studs out performs vibram rubber...EXCEPT when your fishing in slushy conditions Dec to March--darn slush builds up under your soles in seconds!!

Should call it the steelhead ers high heels. Kicking every tree stump to break it off. Lol