• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

So having fished for steelhead and bows this season for the first time and I'm really debating on getting a float rod either for center pinning or spinning.

Is there any brands you pros would recommand with life time warranty. What is a good lenght?, and what I should be looking out for. The only problem Im having with centerpin is the casting. That's really holding me back. I have been using my spinning and for sure casting is a lot easier with it.

One question is can float rods or visa versa be used as fly rods?

I still think fly fishing seems more fun but I seems I leaning into the float fishing style since I only seen people fish for these fish in this style. So convince me other wise if fly would be better lol

What do you all think?

Right now I'm running with a 7' Abu rod spinner combo Canadian tires, medium action. So I'm dying for an upgrade :)

#2 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

So having fished for steelhead and bows this season for the first time and I'm really debating on getting a float rod either for center pinning or spinning.

Is there any brands you pros would recommand with life time warranty. What is a good lenght?, and what I should be looking out for. The only problem Im having with centerpin is the casting. That's really holding me back. I have been using my spinning and for sure casting is a lot easier with it.

One question is can float rods or visa versa be used as fly rods?

I still think fly fishing seems more fun but I seems I leaning into the float fishing style since I only seen people fish for these fish in this style. So convince me other wise if fly would be better lol

What do you all think?

Right now I'm running with a 7' Abu rod spinner combo Canadian tires, medium action. So I'm dying for an upgrade :)

I recommend you get the rod first as using the pin is a real learning curve. If you have the extra funds though why not right? I started with a 13' foot browning six rivers rod from bass pro and a spinning reel and did fine.

If you can find a used islander or something along those means I'd pick it up as they are easy to sell if you end up not liking it.

If you're looking for a good warranty it's going to cost a little more then entry level stuff. Float rods and fly rods are different.

Are you going to be fishing the eastern ditches often? If so I recommend an 11'6 rod or 13' max. Anything bigger is a real pain when bushwhacking. Not saying you can't get away with it, but it gets difficult in some areas.

Any more questions feel free to PM me.

#3 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

I recommend you get the rod first as using the pin is a real learning curve. If you have the extra funds though why not right? I started with a 13' foot browning six rivers rod from bass pro and a spinning reel and did fine.

If you can find a used islander or something along those means I'd pick it up as they are easy to sell if you end up not liking it.

If you're looking for a good warranty it's going to cost a little more then entry level stuff. Float rods and fly rods are different.

Are you going to be fishing the eastern ditches often? If so I recommend an 11'6 rod or 13' max. Anything bigger is a real pain when bushwhacking. Not saying you can't get away with it, but it gets difficult in some areas.

Any more questions feel free to PM me.

fly

Posted Image

cc

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

You will catch more fish float fishing most of the time. If I were you, grab an entry level rod, 13 footer with an entry level centerpin. I've never met anyone who tried using a centerpin and didn't like it. In terms of gear, pair up a Streamside/Browning rod with a used centerpin...

#5 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Lmao chase :D oo tell me more :D

And thanks cjr, I was going to stick around the 10-12 range.since I will be around the eastern Tribs more I believe. and the occasional Tribs up north like the geen :P

It being a bit more expensive should be find for quality stuff. I know I'm not going to stop fishing anytime soon so I'm pretty committed :)

#6 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

You will catch more fish float fishing most of the time.

Yeah but you will still look like a tool if you sporting a disco jacket and a pony tail...

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

LOL!

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

What's your opinion on that rod? I love my 5' 6" Browning Medallion rod, had it for close to 20 years now. About the only thing I don't really like with the 13' is that it's a 2 pc and not 3. Not very convienent to store or pack in a mini suv. Might have to drive with the rear window opened........lol.

fly

Posted Image

cc

Haha......lol.

ALN now you got the chrome bug......lol. Congrats on the catch. Fly gets or can be more expesive in the long run, but can be more rewarding too. As you get hooked on it (no pun intended) and you'll want to tie your own flies and get the materials and build a tying station, have a dedicated room for your such activities. Outfitting yourself with the proper gear, fly vests, waders........OMG that's why I have no money.........lol. :razz:

CJR what you think of the Rapala float reel? I think it's a X-type or something like that. I saw it for $145. Smooth as silk, I just did not like the colour black and it's noisy clicker. But overall very nice.

#9 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

It's a decent rod but extremely tip heavy. I've landed tons of fish with it from chinook to brook trout. It takes a beating. Would not recommend it for big water and flows. Doesn't really have the balls to stop a hot fish from flying down the river.

I'm not a big fan of the r-type reel. Get an okuma aventa instead.

#10 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

We're talking about gear you fashionista... when we want answers to dying hair, we'll be sure to ask you ;)

#11 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

We're talking about gear you fashionista... when we want answers to dying hair, we'll be sure to ask you ;)

Will tell you all the secrets...

but first you have to tell us where we can get our "gear"...you know...the Dolce and Gabana wading jacket

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yeah but you will still look like a tool if you sporting a disco jacket and a pony tail...

Posted ImagePosted Image

LOL

#13 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

#14 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

youtube

Posted ImagePosted Image

"HELLO"

#15 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

ALN check out the for sale section on the forum, a member just posted two float rods for sale. The 13' raven would probably be a good starting rod for you. Id have to also suggest to just bit the bullet and learn to use the pin right away. I got my first steel on the pin at the geen when I couldnt even cast, right across the river from where you got yours actually. I would just cast 5 feet out into the river and let the current take my presentation out in the river for me. After a few outings I was casting 15 feet and it only improved from there.

For pin I really like my Sheffield as a starter reel, it spins great and takes a beating as I dunk it in mud for a quick picture and just take it apart and give it a good rinse before my next drift. I guess the big question is what is your budget??

#16 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

ALN check out the for sale section on the forum, a member just posted two float rods for sale. The 13' raven would probably be a good starting rod for you. Id have to also suggest to just bit the bullet and learn to use the pin right away. I got my first steel on the pin at the geen when I couldnt even cast, right across the river from where you got yours actually. I would just cast 5 feet out into the river and let the current take my presentation out in the river for me. After a few outings I was casting 15 feet and it only improved from there.

For pin I really like my Sheffield as a starter reel, it spins great and takes a beating as I dunk it in mud for a quick picture and just take it apart and give it a good rinse before my next drift. I guess the big question is what is your budget??

Yup, I think NAD is right...had a look at his Sheffield and found it a decent pin for sure...

#17 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Here's a steelhead outfit

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#18 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Chase you gotta stop showing me stuff like that :P:P I'm going to be broke soon lol

I putting my budget at around 300 for a full set up as a max. I've been lookin at some okuma reels my friend showed me and those things spin forever, but the cost is pretty high on it lol. I'll take a look into the Sheffield for sure :)

So much to look into lol

Quick question, what do you guys spool it with? Visible mono (lb?yellow?) to a flourocarbon lead? Does it need some kind of backing? For such a huge reel?

#19 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

FYI the sheffield is an Okuma too lol, It retails for $200.

For backing Dacron is the standard, any fishing store can spool that up for you.

Spooling it use mono; raven, siglon, Ande etc. I use Raven and prefer the Moss Green over the Hi-vis. Siglon is better than Raven IMO but much higher cost for the additional benefit.

#20 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Lol see I told you ididnt know much ! Lol but yah I'm liking those okuma pins :)

Now to the rod!! :P