• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 basshat22

basshat22

Sunfish

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Two fellows bottom bouncing called me a snagger as I was fishing spawning Chinooks with J-13s and glowing spoons.

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? I was popping and twitching my rod now and then, but I don't think I would be using a $10 lure to snag a fish. Was I trying to piss off spawning salmon by cranking my lures with a nice and slow retrieve? Hell yes! And I pissed a couple off enough to strike.

Maybe that is an unethical way to fish spawning salmon?

Don't know how bouncing marshmallows and roe off the bottom while sitting on lawn chairs can show any more skill in this situation.

#2 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

You caught a fish and they probably didn't. Alot of people complain about anyone who tosses lures in the rivers for salmon. Just ignore and keep fishin!

#3 Split-shot

Split-shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Lol!

#4 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

If the fish hit your bait you cant be a snagger lol Just because most people use float gear dont make you a snagger, from what Ive seen this year most of the SNAGGERS are fly fishermen pretending to "fish" super shallow runs with yarn flies

#5 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Who cares what people say.

Two of my buddies who I fish with often have been accused of snagging while float fishing. They're probably mad you were catching fish and they weren't lol. As long as you weren't throwing a 3/4oz Cleo through a shallow pool of water stacked with salmon and ripping the hook they have no right to say anything.

#6 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

double post... <_<

#7 basshat22

basshat22

Sunfish

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

I didn't take it to heart, I just thought it was lame coming from the folding chair patrol... :)

"Hyuk hyuk! Look at those guys actively fishing without folding chairs! What a bunch of losers!" ;)

I have seen folding chair heroes cast their bottom rig directly at individual fish. Guess if you can't hook them, you can knock them out with a 1 oz sinker. lol.

#8 troutofmymind

troutofmymind

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

When u chuck spoons for salmon when they are 3/4 dead people have the right to call ua snagger its not an effective way of catching fish this late in the game

#9 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

When u chuck spoons for salmon when they are 3/4 dead people have the right to call ua snagger its not an effective way of catching fish this late in the game

You dont have enough info to make that comment. Alot of the time people who are unsuccessful with salmon call other snaggers but thats not always the case.

#10 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

If the fish hit your bait you cant be a snagger lol Just because most people use float gear dont make you a snagger, from what Ive seen this year most of the SNAGGERS are fly fishermen pretending to "fish" super shallow runs with yarn flies

Yeah as a general rule I like to follow... if I can see the fish half sticking out of the water you probably shouldn't be fishing there... :mrgreen:

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Lol, trust me, some people just act like that. I was casting a spinner with slow retrieve and got hit by a 15-18lb salmon. as i was fighting it, both "folding chair warriors" reeled their hooks, dropped their rods and checked it. when i landed the fish, they took a closer look and checked if it's hooked outside or inside the mouth. I told them i felt the hit, they still can't believe it. When it was clear the hook was inside, one mumbled "lucky". I don't understand this. I was just trying to get my salmon fix of 1 or 2 (usually go home after) and don't give a hoot if people beside me hook with 5+.

#12 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Two fellows bottom bouncing called me a snagger as I was fishing spawning Chinooks with J-13s and glowing spoons.

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? I was popping and twitching my rod now and then, but I don't think I would be using a $10 lure to snag a fish. Was I trying to piss off spawning salmon by cranking my lures with a nice and slow retrieve? Hell yes! And I pissed a couple off enough to strike.

Maybe that is an unethical way to fish spawning salmon?

Don't know how bouncing marshmallows and roe off the bottom while sitting on lawn chairs can show any more skill in this situation.

yup

you're a snagger

Posted Image

cc

#13 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

i love da yarn eggs

#14 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

You dont have enough info to make that comment. Alot of the time people who are unsuccessful with salmon call other snaggers but thats not always the case.

^Bingo. I've nailed zombie salmon that looked like they were already dead on different lures. So definitive statements like "When u chuck spoons for salmon when they are 3/4 dead people have the right to call ua snagger" is a bit unfair to many anglers.

#15 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

YOU ARE NOT A SNAGGER!!!!!!!!!! Snagging is when you actually hook a fish, without the fish biting. Hooking it in the (tail, fin, head, belly, back, etc) is snagging. Or there is 'lining' where your line goes into the fishes mouth, the fish bolts, your lure catches up to it and sets the hook automatically.

#16 basshat22

basshat22

Sunfish

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Since I am an open minded individual, I got some "Atlas Orange Salmon Eggs" from Crappytire, tied some roe sacks and rigged up up a three way swivel. It was like waving candy in front of a baby. I got more action on nickel sized bag in an hour than I would throwing spoons all night. Maybe I should get myself a folding chair... and one of those cool glow sticks for the rod tip... and of course the rod holder... ;)

#17 basshat22

basshat22

Sunfish

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

#18 basshat22

basshat22

Sunfish

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Lol, trust me, some people just act like that. I was casting a spinner with slow retrieve and got hit by a 15-18lb salmon. as i was fighting it, both "folding chair warriors" reeled their hooks, dropped their rods and checked it. when i landed the fish, they took a closer look and checked if it's hooked outside or inside the mouth. I told them i felt the hit, they still can't believe it. When it was clear the hook was inside, one mumbled "lucky". I don't understand this. I was just trying to get my salmon fix of 1 or 2 (usually go home after) and don't give a hoot if people beside me hook with 5+.

I have a theory that a folding chair stakes a claim over a small portion of the channel that is being fished. All within the radius of that folding chair are subject to the laws of the individual who perches upon it. :)

#19 basshat22

basshat22

Sunfish

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

My dentist did tell me to floss more... ;)

#20 Odoyle

Odoyle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I have a theory that a folding chair stakes a claim over a small portion of the channel that is being fished. All within the radius of that folding chair are subject to the laws of the individual who perches upon it. :)

this reminds me of that Crazy 80 Yr old Scott from the granny :lol:

if u cast within 30 yards .... shes cussin and threatening you :lol:

Oh the joys of catchin fish while others in the same spot for WEEKS catch nothing ...... it gets to them :lol: i ono why ? they are using the same worm they were using 6 hr's ago when they got there .... its still good just a lil water logged thats all :) lol