32 replies to this topic

#1 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi all

I'm not all that interested in ice fishing but willing to give it another shot. So this maybe a dumb question only b/c I don't know enough about it.

Is it better/faster/safer to cut a hole with a power auger? It's cheaper to get a chainsaw then a $500 auger. I'm just curious, incase I like the sport.....lol.

Thanks for all who reply.

#2 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hi all

I'm not all that interested in ice fishing but willing to give it another shot. So this maybe a dumb question only b/c I don't know enough about it.

Is it better/faster/safer to cut a hole with a power auger? It's cheaper to get a chainsaw then a $500 auger. I'm just curious, incase I like the sport.....lol.

Thanks for all who reply.

Cutting a hole with a chainsaw is dangerous. Cutting the hole, as well as leaving a big hole in the ice for someone else to possibly wak and fall into. I dont know a ton about chainsaws but id imagine they are not built for cutting holes through a foot of ice and you would probably have problems with it over time. If you wind up likeing the sport which im sure you will you will be cutting alot of holes! You can pick up a hand ice auger for under 100$ and drill holes that way. I love to ice fish and one of the best investments i ever made is my power auger. Sure beats the handwork of an ice auger when you have a few people with you! And if you are unsure you can always go out and fish holes left behind from other anglers. People move all the time and many times ive dropped a line in a hole left from someone else and run into alot of fish!

And remember ALWAYS mark your holes. Never leave and leave your hole unmarked. Alot of people do but it is dangerous. Even a small 6" hole should be marked. It doesnt take much for someone to not see it and twist/break an ankle out on the ice. I always take a few tree branches out with me to mark my holes when I leave.

Posted Image

#3 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I would also stray away from the chainsaw idea aswell. I use a manual hand auger with no problems. just keep the blades sharp and replace chipped blades. Just make sure the auger you purchase has changable blades(most do). Power augers are good if you can afford the extra money. when I go out with multiple people the rule we make is everyone drills thier own holes, given the people are physically fit. Cant say I make my 6 year old drill her own hole. Power augers are also alot more heavy and often dont collapse down as small as manual. I often am walking with a sled to where I fish and like to keep it light weight. anyways good luck, I hardwater fish alot it allows us guys without boats to fish parts un fishable from land.

Canadian

#4 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Power Auger better for sure.

#5 dockmuskie

dockmuskie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Auger, 100%

#6 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I saw on one of the fishing shows or somewhere this guy using a chainsaw and did it so fast. Not a big hole just enough for a couple guys to use. I have to admit that I've never used a chainsaw so yeah a manual would be alot safer. It just seems to be alot cheaper and faster with the chainsaw. But then I'd probably cut my head off........lol.

Thanks guys for saving my head....lol. and wallet.

EDIT: Now if I could only figure out a way to attach a manual auger to my router and get power to it........lol........I'm j/k........kinda......lol.

#7 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

I saw on one of the fishing shows or somewhere this guy using a chainsaw and did it so fast. Not a big hole just enough for a couple guys to use. I have to admit that I've never used a chainsaw so yeah a manual would be alot safer. It just seems to be alot cheaper and faster with the chainsaw. But then I'd probably cut my head off........lol.

Thanks guys for saving my head....lol. and wallet.

EDIT: Now if I could only figure out a way to attach a manual auger to my router and get power to it........lol........I'm j/k........kinda......lol.

I have seen it on the end of a cordless drill but never in action.

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

I have seen it on the end of a cordless drill but never in action.

I found some people say that if you use anything less then a 18v drill, the drill motor will burn out. Also, you'll only get about 2 six inch holes from 1 battery pack.. So it's not looking all that good. It's all gonna depend on how thick and dense the ice is. I'd still rather use a 110volt D handled mud mixing drill, it would have the balls to go all day. But the problem is the 110 volt. Unless I can run a really long extension cord from a nearby cottage........lol. Portable generator?......lol.

#9 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Yes, it was a 18v dewalt drill. A mud mixer would be perfect! If your handy enough I herd converting an old weed wacker engine into one is simple enough if you know basic mechanics. Something I know not much about. Manual augers can also be mand by two people with one hand ontop the others. Makes it go quick and easy, but I would still opt for a power auger if available

#10 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

Kids had my phone...delete this post

#11 dockmuskie

dockmuskie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

But then I'd probably cut my head off........lol.

Lets all not lose our heads out there this winter folks!

#12 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Ha ha, Yeah Dock lots of people already lost their head just over salmon.

If I get into ice fishing then I think this is the cheapest route; cordless drill with this adapter then a 8" auger. I have the drill so the rest will total about $70. Here's the adapter.
http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en

Anyone use this? Is it good? It only works with certain brands of augers.

#13 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ha ha, Yeah Dock lots of people already lost their head just over salmon.

If I get into ice fishing then I think this is the cheapest route; cordless drill with this adapter then a 8" auger. I have the drill so the rest will total about $70. Here's the adapter.
http://www.canadiant...r.jsp?locale=en

Anyone use this? Is it good? It only works with certain brands of augers.

Factor in its cold outside so the drill isn't going to perform as well as you would like. Battery life wont be as long. Also how cold the winter could be. Black ice is alot harder and harder to drill then white ice. If you are going to spend 70$ and thats your range i would go with a hand auger.

#14 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:16 AM

Wow I never knew they sold an adapter! I have a drill and an auger that will work with. Thanks, hope it works out for you!

#15 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

Wow I never knew they sold an adapter! I have a drill and an auger that will work with. Thanks, hope it works out for you!

Make sure your chuck is really tight. Some guys on another forum were saying that if the chuck is loose, once you get thru the ice, your auger could drop off and in the icy depts it will go.

Thanks, good luck with it and let us know how well it works. Hopefully by then OFF will have a reviews section.

#16 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up, definatly dont won't that to happen!

#17 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

The other thing too is that ni-cad, NiMH batteries easily die when the temps get below 0C. To use the battery to near drain and then leave the cells in the cold will probably kill them. Once you've drilled your holes, put the pack onto a charger. If you use a heated hut bring the pack inside to keep them warm. I use and have a lot of experience with batteries for my RC cars and stuff. For my thousands of batteries it won't matter to me if some of them die, I have alot of replacements.

#18 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

if you go into big water- in my humble opinion an ice hut rented with hole ready to rock is paramount---in the harbours off the docks and shallower water (which i personally prefer) i use a long iron rod with a chipper welded on it....made for this purpose and very good at its job---no gas-batteries---smoke and oil etc---and if you go far enough up north you can use it as a harpoon...lol grub where we discussed on simcoe is in a bay---great perch---great great perch

#19 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

I use a pop up portable hut, great for moving around the lake. Got to love sitting in your T-shirt in -20° peering into crystal clear water watching a school of perch around your jig. Then out of nowhere Ike the Pike comes in and smashes your minnow.

#20 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

What do you use to heat it with? Perch, which I'm not a fan of. Ice fishing seems like alot of trouble for perch. But that's me. If there were pike or whitefish then I'd probably like it.