• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 MENACE

MENACE

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

I use a pop up portable hut, great for moving around the lake. Got to love sitting in your T-shirt in -20° peering into crystal clear water watching a school of perch around your jig. Then out of nowhere Ike the Pike comes in and smashes your minnow.

No doubt. I have a 4 man pop up and the little furnace i have gets its nice and warm!

#22 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

I use a little propane tent heater, but make sure you keep it vented, most are. My hut is also black in colour sometimes just the sun keeps it warm. It is a four man but only fits 2 or 3 comfortably with our gear and minnows all in there with us. If we have 4 people, gear stays outside. Aswell huts cut out the wind wich can be ruthless out in the middle of a lake. They also keep your line from getting iced up and the blowing snow out of your hole and freezing over. Perch are great eating and the jumbos can be fun on ultra light gear.
Posted Image

#23 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

Its only the end of october and I already have the itch for some ice fishing. What the hell is wrong with me?

Hopefully we get lots of cold this winter. 8)

#24 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

That is one big perch, looks like it's on roids. A couple doz of those and you'd have a meal. Do they taste better in winter compared to summer perch?

#25 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

get a normark fin bore auger. i have had many augers over the years. right now i use the fin bore and if i take out the machine i bring the gas auger. dont bother with the drill attachment thing. tried it and unless you have a 36 volt its a waste of time and money. finbore cuts fast anyway. i used to use a chainsaw to cut the holes for my shack, but you get soaked!!!

#26 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

leaky waders is 100% chainsaw makes big hole fast but you are soaked after, fin bore III is fastest hand auger, if your form is good you can dig through a foot of ice in less than a minute!

#27 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Its only the end of october and I already have the itch for some ice fishing. What the hell is wrong with me?

Hopefully we get lots of cold this winter. 8)

Me too, me too..8).
Nothing wrong at all, its one thing to go and catch fish on open water. Takes a lot of skill and patiences to be successful ice fishing. You could go to a place like simcoe and catch perch with little effort. But when you go out to a lake with less ice fishing on it and find fish by moving around and drilling hole after hole. It may be work but it can be rewarding when you work that hard.

#28 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Cool, what's the best size 6 or 8"? The adapter is only $10 and I have some old corless drills around, that I can run them at 36volts.....lol. Maybe only get 1 days use at that voltage......lol. Those motors are so cheap to replace. I'll throw in a mod rc car motor...lol

#29 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

That is one big perch, looks like it's on roids. A couple doz of those and you'd have a meal. Do they taste better in winter compared to summer perch?

Yes it is a big perch, it is acctualy full of eggs. Unfortunatly it wasnt pulled through the ice, but from the side of a boat. We like to fish perch in the spring when most game fish are closed season. We do an annual trip to fill the fridges for the year. Perch is really light fish taste and batterd up tastes like chicken..kinda lol

#30 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

Cool, what's the best size 6 or 8"? The adapter is only $10 and I have some old corless drills around, that I can run them at 36volts.....lol. Maybe only get 1 days use at that voltage......lol. Those motors are so cheap to replace. I'll throw in a mod rc car motor...lol

If you insist on using a drill I would imagine smaller would cut easier. But losing a big fish on the edge of the ice sucks. 8 inches would give a little more room to maneuver your line away from the edge. I own a sewed-bore 8inch, cuts like a dream. I also keep my blades sharp and replace when chipped. Also Pelican makes an ice fishing sled nice and deep for your gear. It can be towed behind a snow mobile aswell.

#31 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

If you insist on using a drill I would imagine smaller would cut easier. But losing a big fish on the edge of the ice sucks. 8 inches would give a little more room to maneuver your line away from the edge. I own a sewed-bore 8inch, cuts like a dream. I also keep my blades sharp and replace when chipped. Also Pelican makes an ice fishing sled nice and deep for your gear. It can be towed behind a snow mobile aswell.

I don't have a snowmobile or atv. Have to walk it out. I'm gonna give it a shot this winter see if I like it before I invest anything in it.

Thanks for all the tips.

#32 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

I can see using a chainsaw IF you are cuttnig a large hole for under your Ice Hut and the Hut will stay over the hole all year, becuz like others have sayed Larger Holes on the ice can be Very danger. But I do not use a Chain saw, I have Other tools, Ice Chisle, Hand Auger and Power Auger.

For "Thin ice" 4" to 6" ( I will not go out of less then 4") an Ice Chisle is all you need, with a sharp tool you can have a 8" sqare Hole in 30 Sec, I find it lighter then an Auger.

For ice 6" to 9" and Hand Auger works fine. Most hand Augers run $65 for a 6" or $85 to $100 for a 8", with sharp Blades you have your hole in 30 to 45 secs.

Ice thicker then 9" the Power Auger is what I take, unless I have to walk Miles out. My 8" power Auger weights around 30Lbs, but even with its dull Blades I cut my holes in less then a min.

But My hand auger can still cut throw 12" of ice in less then 2 min, more do to me tireing then the auger failing.

Over all; if I had to start over Grubman I would get a 6"Auger to start with.

I have sen People bring 8 pound pike and Trout out a 6"hole and @ $65 cant really go wrong

#33 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

get a normark fin bore auger. i have had many augers over the years. right now i use the fin bore and if i take out the machine i bring the gas auger. dont bother with the drill attachment thing. tried it and unless you have a 36 volt its a waste of time and money. finbore cuts fast anyway. i used to use a chainsaw to cut the holes for my shack, but you get soaked!!!

Twinsies