Photo

Naming Rivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

Poll: The Naming of Rivers (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the naming of Rivers be allowed?

1. Yes (10 votes [14.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.08%

2. Yes, but not specific spots upstream from the mouth (14 votes [19.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

3. Yes, but not during steelhead season (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, as long as the presence of fish is not discussed (7 votes [9.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

5. Yes, but not smaller rivers and creeks (3 votes [4.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

6. No (30 votes [42.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.25%

7. No, but it's OK to mention water levels, conditions, etc.. on a specific river (4 votes [5.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

8. It depends. (please elaborate below) (3 votes [4.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

Vote

#21 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't fish for salmon or trout. But I think naming big systems like the Credit, the Grand and the Saugeen should be ok. But naming the smaller creeks and smaller rivers should not be allowed. I also think that making it so that you have to be a member to view the topics is a great idea and I would be happy to see that happen. Cheers.

#22 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

No need to name them.

If you want to know where a guy caught something after seeing his picture, send a pm.

If you want to know water conditions either take the trip and the chance to check it out yourself or check the hydro charts and the weather. That's what most of us do.

Too many times I've heard a trib is chocolate milk and I arrive and the conditions are prime.

Don't rely on what others tell you unless you really trust them, they can just be feeding you bs and saying the trib is blown out to keep you away.

#23 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

even big rivers get pounded if u mention their names. ive fished a huge river last week it was shoulder to shoulder up and down the river for many km. tell me why do u need to mention the name? do u feel better when u do it? u are only hurting the system by telling more people where u caught the fish.

#24 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

even big rivers get pounded if u mention their names. ive fished a huge river last week it was shoulder to shoulder up and down the river for many km. tell me why do u need to mention the name? do u feel better when u do it? u are only hurting the system by telling more people where u caught the fish.

Agreed 100%

Posted Image

#25 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

The whole "it's ok to name them as long as you don't name specific spots" thing is crazy. Rivers have small open sections this time of year, so guess where people are going to end up. :???:

#26 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

The whole "it's ok to name them as long as you don't name specific spots" thing is crazy. Rivers have small open sections this time of year, so guess where people are going to end up. :???:

+100000000

#27 Dewy

Dewy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Personally, I would not name rivers during the fall and spring times, just because it is quite simple to know which rivers will have these runs. Now when is a whole other story. Any river system that is connected to the great lakes system has a high probability of having a salmon and trout run. I think that not naming the river system effects smaller creeks and streams moreso than larger river systems. I also feel that finding certain spots is a part of fishing. I get a lot of enjoyment walking the river banks, watching wildlife and finding new pools. This is what it is all about. Working to find the fish, and then reaping the rewards of the hard work. Believe you me, I am one angler who has gone through a lot of skunkings, but have found myself improving my floating technique, which in turn is helping me catch fish.

#28 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hmmm, never thought of that... if that is the case I don't think names should be given.

#29 Captain Barty

Captain Barty

Sunfish

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I so no naming. You either allow naming or you don't period.

Would be nice if everyone could use common sense when do reports, but unfortunately its not very common anymore... :wink:

#30 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

just by reports some people have been postin u already know who fishes what system. u can easily send that person a pm and ask him the conditions.

Exactly, regular forum contributors know each other and where they fish and generally don't post river names. If a "regular" wants some info they can pm someone.

I think special attention is needed for new users to make sure we don't get threads popping up like "bayfield: anyone been lately? Any fish in yet" ...

Mods should pull those off the board and pm users explaining that is not the purpose if this site.

I'm good with east/west GB Erie...but seeing big river systems named doesn't effect much either ...

#31 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

No need to name them.

If you want to know where a guy caught something after seeing his picture, send a pm.

If you want to know water conditions either take the trip and the chance to check it out yourself or check the hydro charts and the weather. That's what most of us do.

Too many times I've heard a trib is chocolate milk and I arrive and the conditions are prime.

Don't rely on what others tell you unless you really trust them, they can just be feeding you bs and saying the trib is blown out to keep you away.

agreed cjr, pm's but be mindful of regular non regular, in what is shared. Also agree with the site being viewable only by members.

#32 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

The only issue I have with crowds is garbage, I mean... Come on gents, we all know who's got skills, we're all good enough to walk up to a hole and hit fish infront of people who don't hit anything... Right? Lol!

I'm kind of in-between. I was talking to an older fellow today and I mentioned something about how many people there were, he told me that 20 years ago it would be nothing to see 500 people on the open chunk of the system I was on.

The biggest problem is not the Internet or this site, it's the general populace of river fishermen speeking amongst each other. I've stayed away from certain tribs until I've heard there was fish in them, Or the water levels Were up, And only 1 trib I've fished this past month has been spoken about on this site.

There is absolutely no need to share where you've been smashing them or where you've been skunked, but I am so a firm believer in the fact that the more of US there are, the better our fishery is going to be in the future.

For the most part I would share my locale with 90% of you guys. Just because Ive had the pleasure of meeting a few of you and weve shared the general thought process mutually.

We have to think of a bigger picture here.

I'll ween trough a thousands poachers and snaggers litterers and hooligans just to find a few good steelers who will drop money and time into our fishery.

I'm indecisive and slightly drunk. Hopefully when I read this back tomorrow it won't be to ridiculous ha!

#33 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:04 AM

And now I add my 2 cents worth.
I fish in Lake Ontario. There's lots of fish and many varieties LOLOLOL. Go there lurkers. There's Chrome in them there waves, Salmon too.

I agree that specific spots should not be discussed on the open forum. One of the very first posts I made on this forum was edited because I mentioned a specific area on the Credit. Funny thing is, I was away for a week. I came home today and looked in on OFF and found a thread which included photos of the exact place I had mentioned a few years ago. It has not been edited. The place is still not very heavily fished even though 2 million people live within a half hour drive. I hardly ever see anyone. It is somewhere between Lake O and the Albion Highlands. It has suckers, chub and other fish too :)
I am 50 now and found all my fishing spots by leg work, by looking at maps and by word of mouth from friends or bait shops. It is common sense that if you are entering a valley there will be water at the bottom of it.
Just like gobies, lurkers will find our places. It is hard to hide a place a few miles from millions of people.
Yes we should probably limit our discussions away from specific areas, but the internet has arrived and folks will find places to fish. Believe it or not there are still "old fashioned anglers" like me who find areas just doing the leg work too. I just got a text and I am now going to one of those areas found doing leg work tomorrow. I found it 35 years ago. It is the spot I mentioned on the Credit, you know. Between Lake O and the Albion Hills.
Looking for some chrome tomorrow.
Anyone else looking for some chrome should try the creek that runs through Brampton. I think the chub have a bit of chrome color at this time of year.

Alfie.

#34 LICENSETOPIN

LICENSETOPIN

Skrilla Skrilla

• Active Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:19 AM

its funny how when a controversial topic like this comes up its always usually the same handfull of people that post and express their opinions but yet hundreds of people go through these forums everyday.

#35 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

its funny how when a controversial topic like this comes up its always usually the same handfull of people that post and express their opinions but yet hundreds of people go through these forums everyday.

Ironic on so many levels.

But you're right. What is your view on this issue?

#36 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:23 AM

Very interesting and valid points brought up so far. Thanks guys.

I personally look at it from a more 'unconventional' point of view, more of a statistical/quantitative approach... I'll elaborate later as I don't want to sidetrack the conversation.

But I wonder... what would happen if 100 steelheaders who would have evenly fished on 10 different streams on a given day, instead all converged on one particular stream? What would the overall (aggregate) net fish loss/impact to the fishery be?

#37 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Very interesting and valid points brought up so far. Thanks guys.

I personally look at it from a more 'unconventional' point of view, more of a statistical/quantitative approach... I'll elaborate later as I don't want to sidetrack the conversation.

But I wonder... what would happen if 100 steelheaders who would have evenly fished on 10 different streams on a given day, instead all converged on one particular stream? What would the overall (aggregate) net fish loss/impact to the fishery be?

In my opinion that is a conventional question, perhaps more so to environmentalists/conservationists than anglers. In all fairness, I'm sure there are many conservationists here. Your question proposes a micro study similar to broader studies that assess what impact humans have on the planet. We look at the impact of population densities, resource usage, waste/pollution, crime, all of which are observed in some form or another at our fishing 'spots'.

There are many ecological/environmental studies like this. I find your question interesting, I think it's worth a thread on its own.

#38 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yes and no...

I think if you are talking about the niagara river, saugeen, or notty, it would be ok to say which river, because they are such big systems.

#39 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Yes and no...

I think if you are talking about the niagara river, saugeen, or notty, it would be ok to say which river, because they are such big systems.

I felt the same way, but then some of the guys here told me that there is only certain areas of these big systems that are left open so that makes it much easier to "find" the spot.

#40 Ivor

Ivor

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Some observations and thoughts:

Those on this forum (members, trollers, snoopers, etc.) are not the only anglers - there are loads of them out there, Not naming river systems will not stop other anglers or otherwise eventually gaining this info through word of mouth from fishing shops, family, friends etc. or by other means. I had a stranger at a Food Basics parking, who noticed my fishing net in the back of my truck, come up and give me fishing locations.

One could name the river but not mention if fish are present or biting or whatever. This info can motivate newbies, but they would have to put in more time and effort in getting their fish. Names of smaller tributaries can be withheld, by those in the know, to protect the ecosystem. Those in the know can always choose to share this smaller tributary info as required.

Info on water conditions, weather, fishing setups, specie info etc. should be available, with discretion, to motivate newbies.

Disclaimer: I am a newbie. :D