21 replies to this topic

#1 nima

nima

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Hi Guy z
i'm new to center pin / float fishing but pro on fly fishing i always want to try center pin so last month i got my self a okuma raw ii reel and 13' Rapala R-type Float/Drift .
for my reel i used fly line gel spun backing and main line i used sunline 12lb Mono filament.
so i heard mono line because they observe water,sunlight which weakens the line so kindly i need your suggestion regarding the main line .
i fish 2 to3 days per week for 4 to 5 hrs ,so far landed 8 rainbow ,4 Chinook
Thank you .

#2 jayjay

jayjay

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I use 8 lb suffix siege in smoke green and 6 lb drenen leader I love it no break offs

#3 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

suffix smoke is good, one flaw that it has it digs in after every snag or a big fish. Meaning you have to do a free drift just to get the line out. I found raven to be a very good line and u can't beat the price :)

#4 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Raven is my go-to now because of the good price and few issues I have had with it. If money is not an issue than I prefer siglon. But with the low low price of the raven im taking off at least 50yds if not more after every outing to get rid of all the twist.

#5 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

side cast =line twist
wallis cast= no line twist

#6 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

side cast =line twist
wallis cast= no line twist

This.

I force myself to wallis cast (see tangle everything) at least a few times each outing until I can get it perfect... then I will no longer have to deal with those crazy twists in the line.

#7 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

been fishing fireline crystal for a while now and loving it. it does bed after a snag or fish, but i find that is outweighed by by the pros. been fishing the same swivel from shotline to mainline since mid august, and never lost a float. not sure what im going to use when the negative temps arrive.... been liking siglon f

#8 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

x3 on the raven, i've never used anything else. keep in mind the fl. yellow and fl. pink are different formulas. i found the fluorescent green in 8lb to be a terrible line. too much bedding after snag/fish, far too stiff, WAY too stretchy lol.

i changed off to the pink in 10lb after a rep told me it was a different formula, and wow what a difference. i find the pink to be much suppler, perfect amount of stretch, very little bedding, and casts like a dream.

#9 nima

nima

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

;) great info

#10 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Raven is my go-to now because of the good price and few issues I have had with it. If money is not an issue than I prefer siglon. But with the low low price of the raven im taking off at least 50yds if not more after every outing to get rid of all the twist.

+1. Yellow.

Might switch back to trilene XT clear-green into December when water is crystal clear.

#11 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

thought about it, I might end up trying it some day but im always changing the depth on my float. What if I have to move my float down and the swivel is 1 or 2 feet above my float? That will then put weight on my line making it go under water and reduce the quality of my drift?

#13 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

What if I have to move my float down and the swivel is 1 or 2 feet above my float? That will then put weight on my line making it go under water and reduce the quality of my drift?

know what u mean of this i hated it as well so just took the swivel of. we just gotta learn the wallis cast :grin:

#14 GoWithTheFloat

GoWithTheFloat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

I think multiple swivels help even below the float. I tried a swivel from leader to main line with shot. Then another swivel from the shot line to the main line with my float and it seemed to reduce the twist.

A guy on the river this weekend was using this Berkley transoptic line. Had a goldish colour on his reel and clear on the water. He said it works great. I don't know if I'll use it because I like hi viz. But am finding raven a bit brittle for knots

#15 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Fireline gets 0 twist. If you can find a slip float you like that works too. Just use a stopper above and below.

#16 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

I use the suffix tangerine 10lb and I find it awesome!

#17 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

been fishing fireline crystal for a while now and loving it. it does bed after a snag or fish, but i find that is outweighed by by the pros. been fishing the same swivel from shotline to mainline since mid august, and never lost a float. not sure what im going to use when the negative temps arrive.... been liking siglon f

Yes
It was fireline crystal for a while unitl the line started to fray on me. I would take off several yards before each trip but it go tedious. It would fray so much I wpould pull on the line and it would snap. It was great in the winter time because it did not soak up any water. I just took it off and now it is Raven 10 high Vis yellow. Ordered some Sufix promix after several good reviews on it.

Use a shot line 6 lb xt with the float and all the weight on it. XT is great beacuse it would allow me to slide the float and weights easily without damaging the line.

#18 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have not had fraying issues of that sort! Had nooks around rocks ad bows around wood lots. When I peeled a couple feet off it was more because it lost its floatyness( forget the big word for this. Hydrosomethingness)

#19 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

i'm currently testing out sufix promix as well. After fishin an hour with it i found very little twist. have a spool of nano wonna try that but just like fireline crystal i have heard it tends to fray. My buddy just stared using seaguar senshi he said its got low memory and so far hes loving it.

#20 pop-vlado

pop-vlado

Sunfish

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Has anyone tried the lo-vis moss green raven line? I'm trying to decide between it and one of their fluorescent lines? I'm hesitant about buying fluorescent line. Keep thinking that it will spook the fish in clearer water. I want to have one line which I can use to fish all conditions. Should I go with the lo-vis??