• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wow, this is the 1st time I've ever seen anyone cause a stink about someone keeping a pike.

I think some people just need to cause a stink, and will find any route to do so. If I was that considered about a fish's welfare that filming a portion of a fight would be out of the question, I wouldn't be angling in the first place!

@Salmotrutta - you ever try eating pike? It's great! BUT - if you're trying to practice C&R pike fishing needle nose pliers, teeth spreads and a net are a MUST

I do eat pike, but I can't eat fish out of Southern Ontario waters any more, with the exception of extremely clean watersheds.

At this spot, I don't usually need a net, because I can bring them right up shallow and pop the hooks without even taking the pike out of the water. But I got this one off a platform, away from the bank. I have teeth spreads and have definitely used them before. They were in my vehicle, and the fish would have suffocated by the time I got to my vehicle and back.

But yes, pike are great eating, I usually do the 5 fillet method around the bones. They were the first fish I ever learned to clean. Misconceptions surrounding this species are quite prevalent with regards to filleting and eating them.

#22 LostAnotherOne

LostAnotherOne

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I do what I can to release the fish. I dont mind cutting the line and losing the lure so I can see the fish swim away. A few times this year I had to detach the $5 lure to the leader from a pikes mouth to see it go. The lure may or may not rust out, but I at lease gave it a try. Its not the end of the world if it does die.

#23 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

I do what I can to release the fish. I dont mind cutting the line and losing the lure so I can see the fish swim away. A few times this year I had to detach the $5 lure to the leader from a pikes mouth to see it go. The lure may or may not rust out, but I at lease gave it a try. Its not the end of the world if it does die.

To each their own, I would never release a fish with a lure still in it. If I was the fish, I think I'd rather be dead :) I've seen pics of bass shitting out massive hooks, with the hook stuck in its ass. Again, if I was that bass, I'd rather be eaten.

#24 LostAnotherOne

LostAnotherOne

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

[quote name='salmotrutta' timestamp='1351811193' post='247398']
To each their own, I would never release a fish with a lure still in it. If I was the fish, I think I'd rather be dead :) I've seen pics of bass shitting out massive hooks, with the hook stuck in its ass. Again, if I was that bass, I'd rather be eaten.
[/quote
I totally agree. The two pike I released this year the lure wasnt in the throat, but deep that not even my needle noise can get them out. If they didnt survive then Im sure the seagulls would have a free meal.lol Thanks

#25 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Nice fish. Always sad when a really nice fish swallows the hook. I remember one time i was bass fishing from my canoe and got a 10" bluegill. It swallowed my worm so far i could'nt even see the hook.

#26 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Nice fish. Always sad when a really nice fish swallows the hook. I remember one time i was bass fishing from my canoe and got a 10" bluegill. It swallowed my worm so far i could'nt even see the hook.

Dude, did you mount that sucker!? That's got to be an Ontario Record...

#27 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I know a spot in the Kawarthas where you can consistently hammer them that size while they're spawning right from shore. They're plate sized. Lots of fun to do in the summer.

#28 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I know a spot in the Kawarthas where you can consistently hammer them that size while they're spawning right from shore. They're plate sized. Lots of fun to do in the summer.

Oh man that must be awesome. I only seem to catch pumpkin seeds...

#29 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm checking records in my fishy book right now...

#30 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

OK. The ontario record is 11" and the world record is 16"

#31 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Oh man that must be awesome. I only seem to catch pumpkin seeds...

Ahh, they're all sufish :grin:

#32 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Nope, never mounted a fish before.

#33 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was about 0.7" off the record for bluegill.

#34 Odoyle

Odoyle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

nice catch man !

#35 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

I was about 0.7" off the record for bluegill.

You've caught the second biggest bluegill in Ontario history!

#36 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Nope, never mounted a fish before.

Me nether.

#37 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

Watch this.
http://www.youtube.c...&v=-5Av5_nDbSg#!

#38 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

nice catch salmo :) that's decent size pike.

#39 GoodenTight

GoodenTight

Steelhead Master

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

youre amped up.. stoked on landing.. and have media to show for it!

You can't wait to get home and get on OFF to show the boys!

GOOD ON YA FOR GETTING THAT PIKE DUDE!!! Dont let this guy harshen your buzz.

Im almost scared to post pictures anymore. It seems to be getting worse and worse when ever anyone posts media. Someone is going to harp on you for something. I thought we are supposed to be a community? We are all on a team, or at least it SHOULD feel like it. When you score with a beauty like that you should be able to celebrate, not get pooped on.

Good on ya for giving it to someone so it wasn't a waste. Keep em coming dude!!!

#40 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

youre amped up.. stoked on landing.. and have media to show for it!

You can't wait to get home and get on OFF to show the boys!

GOOD ON YA FOR GETTING THAT PIKE DUDE!!! Dont let this guy harshen your buzz.

Im almost scared to post pictures anymore. It seems to be getting worse and worse when ever anyone posts media. Someone is going to harp on you for something. I thought we are supposed to be a community? We are all on a team, or at least it SHOULD feel like it. When you score with a beauty like that you should be able to celebrate, not get pooped on.

Good on ya for giving it to someone so it wasn't a waste. Keep em coming dude!!!

X's 2!!!

"I think some people just need to cause a stink, and will find any route to do so."

Also x's 2!!