• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

What do you use while fishin' or filleting?

I wanted a super-lightweight knife that I could keep on the wading belt. The Buck Paklite's are awesome, cheap, and light. It weighs in at 1oz and gets stoopid sharp for about 25 bucks.

Posted Image

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Looks like a decent knife, I would be worried about the metal handle, slippage, coldness, etc. Have any idea what steel is used? It looks a little small to be a real fillet knife to me. But you could use the lanyard hole to attach the knife. The sheath looks ok, I would check the stitching and might replace it with a better sheath such as a Kydex one.

I got a:
Kabar USMC: http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/73
I use this knife for a bow making, and basic woodscraft type stuff as it has the perfect blade length, not too long, but long enough to do batoning etc.

Gerber LMF2: http://www.gerbergea...-Knife_22-41400
I just got this knife as a back up in the rare case that my USMC breaks.

and a Rapala fillet knife: http://www.rapala.co...a-knives-fillet
I got this knife as a gift from my grandparents and haven't used it yet, so I don't know what it is like.

I always have a pair of nail clippers, needle nose pliers with wire cutters and a multitool in my my tackle bag so, I mainly use them for all my cutting/tool needs.

#3 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

It's 420HC (high carbon). That's what makes it a steal at less than 25 bucks. I'm not really a fan of Buck knives but they do a nice stainless for sure.

I wouldn't try filleting anything with it, too short to say the least, but it's a practical knife for me and draws a lot less attention than my EDC or a K-Bar for that matter :mrgreen:

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

It's 420HC (high carbon). That's what makes it a steal at less than 25 bucks. I'm not really a fan of Buck knives but they do a nice stainless for sure.

Makes sense, that they would use high cabon for a knife under 25$. I'm not a fan of buck knifes either. Bought one that said "Full tang" was 3/4 tang...

I wouldn't try filleting anything with it, too short to say the least, but it's a practical knife for me and draws a lot less attention than my EDC or a K-Bar for that matter :mrgreen:

That's why I carry my multitool. Your EDC attracts attention?!? How big is it?

#5 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

That's why I carry my multitool. Your EDC attracts attention?!? How big is it?

It's not the size, it's the sound it makes when I open it. :shock:

#6 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

I've been using my kitchen knives lately for filleting since I have yet to replace my stolen Rapala fillet knife.

I was going to purchase a replacement knife the other day because Canadian Tire had them on sale for $9.99. Then afterwards I went into a Dollar Tree and noticed they have a huge selection of knives, including several that would be long enough for filleting. Before I got my original Rapala knife, I used my roommates (hehehe) butcher knife, it had an extremely wide blade but it actually worked better for filleting than my Rapala knife and I felt like I had downgraded when I purchased the supposed "fillet" knife.

As such, I will be purchasing one or more of the Dollar Tree knives, and seeing if I can't get one that matches the feel I had with my roommates knife. The blade was wide but flexible, and taking the meat off was very easy, as was cutting the skin off the meat. If I end up scoring a good knife at the dollar store, I will make a post to pass it on to other "fruglers".

#7 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

Some ridiculously cheap Chinese knives (CCK for example) are HIGHLY regarded. Some guys might laugh at dollar store stuff but sometimes you can find interesting stuff that takes a wicked edge.

#8 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Butterfly knife is good on the river...and nice sharp filleting knife for after! LOL!

#9 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

I purchased this knife about 4 years ago. The blade is stainless and almost everything else is brass. Its heavy duty and has been put through a lot. Its got some weight to it, no complaints yet. Next purchase will be a fixed blade... something about those fixed blades set in antlers.

Posted Image

#10 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

It's not the size, it's the sound it makes when I open it. :shock:

:lol: That'll get the heads turning.

#11 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I purchased this knife about 4 years ago. The blade is stainless and almost everything else is brass. Its heavy duty and has been put through a lot. Its got some weight to it, no complaints yet. Next purchase will be a fixed blade... something about those fixed blades set in antlers.

Posted Image

Thats a nice looking knife! Name? Christmas is coming up...

I got 2 fixed blade knifes, I find I use my foldable/multitools way more as they can slide into a pocket and fit into the smallest of spaces. Then again you lose strength...

What fixed blade were you looking at?

#12 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Those knives are no good for filleting but are excellent for getting your spot back on the river!

#13 Bug_Slinger

Bug_Slinger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

Have my eye on either the PLSK1 Pathfinder 1 - 5.5" or the PLSK2 pathfinder 2 - 3 7/8" scandi design... Made the wife take note as Christmas is just around the corner :mrgreen:

PLSK1 Pathfinder 1 knife.JPG PLSK1 Pathfinder 1.JPG

The Dave Canterbury/BHK collaborative designed Pathfinder Logo Series Knife is being reintroduced! This 01 Steel, Scandi ground knife is built for heavy duty bush crafting. It is 3/16" thick with a small section of thumb serrations and a squared off spine, great for use with a ferro rod or fire steel. Specs are: 10" over all length, blade length is 5.5 ", blade width is 1 1/4" with a 4 1/2" handle. It rides quite comfortably on the hip when combined with the custom Kydex and leather sheath. This knife weighs - 10 oz. Sheath- 6.5 oz.

http://www.thepathfinderschoolllc.com

Attached Images

• pathfinder_logo.jpg

#14 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

There are much lighter knives that contain far superior (in edge holding capabilities) than 420 .This was the standard some time back,and is a fine steel ...easy to sharpen to a razor sharp edge.
look at CPM S30V
VG10
Aus8
for this better edge hold
Buck put out one of my favorite knives, that utilizes S30V, called the Vantage Pro.It has the same hollow grind and blade profile as the skinning knife you show ,which make it's mid section and leading edge a very narrow width...ideal for slicing flesh,however more susceptible to chipping or breaking under heavier use conditions.

you will have to pay 10-15 more bucks per knife for this steel however you might enjoy how long it holds that razor sharp edge.

#15 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Le Baron have a great selection of knives

#16 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Noob, its called the Buck Alpha, problem is they've changed the design. I purchased t at BassPro, maybe they still have one kicking around.

#17 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

There are much lighter knives that contain far superior (in edge holding capabilities) than 420 .This was the standard some time back,and is a fine steel ...easy to sharpen to a razor sharp edge.
look at CPM S30V
VG10
Aus8
for this better edge hold

Do you have any AUS-8 knives? If so, how do you find sharpening them?

I re-profiled a brand-new Ultratech which is AUS-8. It was the first time I've worked with this steel.

Posted Image

#18 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Noob, its called the Buck Alpha, problem is they've changed the design. I purchased t at BassPro, maybe they still have one kicking around.

Thanks for the reply.

#19 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

I find that knives with assisted opening are very useful on the river. I recently lost a nice Gerber knife that had assisted opening at the OFF trip. Im shopping around right now for a new one but the Bass Pro online store doesnt seem to have the same knife I bought last year.

This one is similar to the one I lost but the quick draw isnt the one with the index finger opener that im used to. It looks like it is opened with a little button on the side of the knife. It is also serrated which is a big negative for me.

http://www.basspro.c...product/104774/

I found this one that has a non-serrated edge. Im not sure if it is assisted opening but I know for sure that it at least has the index finger piece that makes it easy to open.

http://basspro.com/G.../product/65782/

#20 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

ok this is my knife for having on me when fishing, hiking and camping.It's a gerber bought from ct a few years back around forty bucks, i don't remember what the specific model is called though.Posted ImagePosted Image