• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Do you have any AUS-8 knives? If so, how do you find sharpening them?

I re-profiled a brand-new Ultratech which is AUS-8. It was the first time I've worked with this steel.

Posted Image

Not Aus8 but some S30V which are probably as difficult to sharpen or re profile as Aus 8 depending on it's Rockwell hardness (say 57-58)
Must have taken some time to re profile your blade !? .I re profiled a 420 from 25 degrees to 17 and it was reasonably quick but I hear these harder steels are difficult.I use a Lansky system to sharpen ...not sure I know what vice/jaws/system your using there but it looks pretty slick.Is that the knife after re-profiling...looks like about 25 degrees in the photo

#22 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

I purchased this knife about 4 years ago. The blade is stainless and almost everything else is brass. Its heavy duty and has been put through a lot. Its got some weight to it, no complaints yet. Next purchase will be a fixed blade... something about those fixed blades set in antlers.

Posted Image

That's a gorgeous little folder..The trailing point is perfect for skinning /working fish... Classic material ...Traditional Yeah!! What is the model?

#23 Klamp

Klamp

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Not Aus8 but some S30V which are probably as difficult to sharpen or re profile as Aus 8 depending on it's Rockwell hardness (say 57-58)
Must have taken some time to re profile your blade !? .I re profiled a 420 from 25 degrees to 17 and it was reasonably quick but I hear these harder steels are difficult.I use a Lansky system to sharpen ...not sure I know what vice/jaws/system your using there but it looks pretty slick.Is that the knife after re-profiling...looks like about 25 degrees in the photo

I found the AUS-8 softer than expected. That's why I was surprised to hear you suggest it for better edge retention. Remains to be seen how long that Microtech blade lasts.

I use the Wicked Edge vise to get a nice even profile, finishing no more than 200 grit. Like you, I bring hunting knives down to 17 degrees, sometimes 15 if I know it's gonna be used for flesh/food.

I'm fanatical about precise angles and nerve tingling sharpness. Sharpening is on a mix of natural and synthetic Japanese water stones right up to paste.

#24 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

That's a gorgeous little folder..The trailing point is perfect for skinning /working fish... Classic material ...Traditional Yeah!! What is the model?

Noob, its called the Buck Alpha, problem is they've changed the design. I purchased t at BassPro, maybe they still have one kicking around.

#25 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Do you have any AUS-8 knives? If so, how do you find sharpening them?

I re-profiled a brand-new Ultratech which is AUS-8. It was the first time I've worked with this steel.

Posted Image

Nice sharpening setup. I could use something like that for my Spyderco. Where did you find that?

#26 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thinking bout replacing my spyderco (endura 4) with something else, or getting it sharpened. Liking the look and weight of some of the cut out frame knives.

#27 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thinking bout replacing my spyderco (endura 4) with something else, or getting it sharpened. Liking the look and weight of some of the cut out frame knives.

I need to sharpen my native Aus-10 is brittle apparently. I let some dummy borrow it at work and he put a nick in the serrated section.

#28 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

I need to sharpen my native Aus-10 is brittle apparently. I let some dummy borrow it at work and he put a nick in the serrated section.

That's a cool knife! What grade steel is it?

#29 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

That's a cool knife! What grade steel is it?

I love that knife, they no longer produce it methinks. It's top of the line Japanese stainless, similar to 440c supposedly a bit better. Carbon and vanadium are added . I just like the feel and one handed easy opening.It's hefty. The serrated section was wicked sharp, now I have to get a hone or stone and fix it up.

#30 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Kershaw, Ontario, SOG

all 3 of which I own, Havent let me down yet and used them thoroughly camping, fishing, and at work.

The ontario knives are especially good. Great survival knife

#31 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Kershaw, Ontario, SOG

all 3 of which I own, Havent let me down yet and used them thoroughly camping, fishing, and at work.

The ontario knives are especially good. Great survival knife

All great blades!

#32 Clab

Clab

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

http://www.agrussell...est/CL-2020.jpg
Fantastic knife. All I can say, I've had it for three years and have no conplaints. Sharpens back up real sweet too.

#33 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I wouldn't replace a spyderco endura! They are an amazing blade! I carried one for ages at work before going to an Emerson CQC. I carry a spyderco delica every day at home and on fishing or hunting trips. The delica will work for everything from cutting cord, opening boxes to gutting and beheading fish. Obviously it is not a filet knife though! They are Japanese made, with VG10 steel, and an excellent value!