• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

You know I understand everyone's need to keep their "Hot Spot" to themselves but there are people out there with disability's who cannot go for a hike, climb steep river banks, climb over fallen trees to find a spot that is some what decent that produces a few fish.

It's no fun sitting at home suffering when you could possibly get out for a few hours with a line in the water watching your float going downstream anticipating getting a fish on.... which can certainly take your mind off your physical ailments (and prevents depression creeping in the door)

The Ministry recognizes that there are people out there with disability's who has rights to enjoy fishing too but no-one steps up and says yes you can fish here (where ever) with out going through a Commando training course to put a float in the water, catch something and feel good about yourself.

I suffer from Chronic Pain, was forced to take early retirement (which HUGELY affected my pension) and I have managed to get out a few times & have been quite productive but I have also been out & wondered if I was ever going to make it back to my car because of my lack of knowledge about a certain river & the terrain.

I am also one of these older guys who will take a fold up chair so that I can take a load off when the pain get's a bit much.... it doesn't mean I'm lazy or I have a fishing style that a few people hate.

I'm sure there are more people with disability's out there who can benefit getting out and doing a spot of fishing without impacting your enjoyment of the sport.

Anyway sorry for ranting....

Ronnie

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

You know I understand everyone's need to keep their "Hot Spot" to themselves but there are people out there with disability's who cannot go for a hike, climb steep river banks, climb over fallen trees to find a spot that is some what decent that produces a few fish.

It's no fun sitting at home suffering when you could possibly get out for a few hours with a line in the water watching your float going downstream anticipating getting a fish on.... which can certainly take your mind off your physical ailments (and prevents depression creeping in the door)

The Ministry recognizes that there are people out there with disability's who has rights to enjoy fishing too but no-one steps up and says yes you can fish here (where ever) with out going through a Commando training course to put a float in the water, catch something and feel good about yourself.

I suffer from Chronic Pain, was forced to take early retirement (which HUGELY affected my pension) and I have managed to get out a few times & have been quite productive but I have also been out & wondered if I was ever going to make it back to my car because of my lack of knowledge about a certain river & the terrain.

I am also one of these older guys who will take a fold up chair so that I can take a load off when the pain get's a bit much.... it doesn't mean I'm lazy or I have a fishing style that a few people hate.

I'm sure there are more people with disability's out there who can benefit getting out and doing a spot of fishing without impacting your enjoyment of the sport.

Anyway sorry for ranting....

Ronnie

Hey,

I do not think that sitting down on a chair when the pain gets too much for you will get anglers mad. I agree with you that there are people out there with disabilities who enjoy the sport, but how are we supposed to get them involved if we do not know who they are? I think we, as anglers have no fight with getting disabled people into the sport, and I support the idea.

Seems to me like, you are talking about salmon or steelhead fishing in a river, from the line "watching your float head downstream". I have found that river locations are much harder to get to and when you do get to a spot, the ground is uneven and often you are standing on rocks, something that can be challenge for disabled people. Spots along ponds or lake shores are much more accessible then river spots and present much less difficulties for disabled people.

I will gladly share my "secrets" with you including some spots that are accessible, but you will need to pm me first to show that you want the locations. If you only want to catch salmon or steelhead I think your stuck to rivers, if you do not care what you catch the spots will be good for you.

#3 steelies

steelies

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hey Ronnie,
At this time of the season, steelheading at the mouth of the tribs is still very decent. That's where I do my fishing until mid-December, then I head upstream. Most of the places I go are very accessible and I myself bring a fold up chair, whenever I remember to at least. If you'd like to know those places and the fishing style, pm me, I'll gladly share all the spots I have with you. Rivers on the other hand. I think you probably know more spots than me :)
Best of luck
Steve

#4 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thank You both FishingNoob & Steelies for replying.

I see another 30 odd people have read the post & left without comment.

I heard this little poem years ago and it has always stuck in my mind.

Sunday Post 13th September 1987
Sunday Post

If when climbing up life's ladder,
You can reach a hand below,
Then just help that other person,
Up another rung or so.
It may be that in the future,
When your getting weary too,
You'll be glad to find there's someone,
Who will lend a hand to you.

#5 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

I see another 30 odd people have read the post & left without comment.

Just because 30 people have read the post, does not mean 30 MEMBERS read the post. The readers could just be "viewers".

#6 dockmuskie

dockmuskie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Ronnie,

I do not have much knowledge of steelhead or river fishing however in university I did quite a lot of research and class work on accessible environments for individuals with a disability. Here is a website I found that seems quite helpful it is called Access Guide Canada. You have probably heard of it but it seems that you can search all over Canada for accessibility organizations including ones in the Toronto area. Not only does it seem like a great resource to talk to these organizations about trips and easily accessible locations for fishing but someone like yourself may even wish to volunteer as I am sure you have a lot of knowledge of fishing with your specific condition and I bet there are a lot of kids involved with this organization that would benefit from having someone like yourself share their experience with them.

http://www.abilities...w=all&subid=349

#7 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Just because 30 people have read the post, does not mean 30 MEMBERS read the post. The readers could just be "viewers".

Ahhh I see that makes sense.... thanks for pointing that out to me FN

#8 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Ronnie,

I do not have much knowledge of steelhead or river fishing however in university I did quite a lot of research and class work on accessible environments for individuals with a disability. Here is a website I found that seems quite helpful it is called Access Guide Canada. You have probably heard of it but it seems that you can search all over Canada for accessibility organizations including ones in the Toronto area. Not only does it seem like a great resource to talk to these organizations about trips and easily accessible locations for fishing but someone like yourself may even wish to volunteer as I am sure you have a lot of knowledge of fishing with your specific condition and I bet there are a lot of kids involved with this organization that would benefit from having someone like yourself share their experience with them.

http://www.abilities...w=all&subid=349

Hi Dockmuskie,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and to post the link for me, I will certainly check into it.

I have only recently "RETURNED" to fishing after a 20+ year absence and it so happened it was a Steelhead/Salmon river that I had fished in many years ago that I knew I could park pretty close to the river and a short walk (100 feet) I was able to fish in a productive stretch but unfortunately (for me) that section closed September 30th and so it was a longer walk but it was a pathway with very few obstacles down to the river without me taking a tumble on the way down. I am fortunate compared to some folk with disabilities is that I am mobile to a certain extent, but I have to pace myself. The only thing with this place is that it is 2.5-3hours away and so began my search for somewhere closer to Brampton.

Up until recently I have fished alone as I didn't know anyone that else that had the time during the week that was interested in going fishing & so I posted on one of the forums here looking for a fishing buddy & thankfully a few really nice guys (you know who you are) made arrangements to hook up at quite different rivers, but was a real effort (on my part) to get to promising spots on the water.

I was sort of wondering if there were other people on these forums who struggle a bit with mobility or pain issues & how they cope on fishing trips or whether they had just given up & had become an armchair fisherman, living through the people in these forums with their fishing adventures & the wonderful fish that they had hooked that day.... Id much rather get out there even if it means more pain.

#9 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Ahhh I see that makes sense.... thanks for pointing that out to me FN

No worries.

#10 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I was sort of wondering if there were other people on these forums who struggle a bit with mobility or pain issues & how they cope on fishing trips or whether they had just given up & had become an armchair fisherman, living through the people in these forums with their fishing adventures & the wonderful fish that they had hooked that day.... Id much rather get out there even if it means more pain.

Never give up fishing. I"ll keep my eyes out for you.

If sitting makes the pain easier why not get a kayak or canoe? You can get a cart for it, and pull it to the water, where you can "dump" it in you get to sit down and when you want to fish, you can tie the canoe off to the bank.

#11 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Never give up fishing. I"ll keep my eyes out for you.

If sitting makes the pain easier why not get a kayak or canoe? You can get a cart for it, and pull it to the water, where you can "dump" it in you get to sit down and when you want to fish, you can tie the canoe off to the bank.

Funny you should say that, I was invited to go out with one of the forum members yesterday in his canoe to do a bit of fishing and checking out the river for productive pools etc.

I jumped at the opportunity and we set off early yesterday morning... boy was I happy I wasnt walking as some of the banks were almost vertical, lots of trees huge rocks etc lined the shore. While the river was quite deep in places, it was shallow in others so we were in and out the canoe a lot so that the canoe could get floated down easily. Getting in and out was quite painful after the first few times & I couldn't kneel in the canoe to keep my weight low so that it wouldn't be as tippy etc.

For all it was a great experience for me after about 1/2 way I was hurting pretty bad so I had to lay down under some cedar trees to have a rest & let my pain meds work. Well as luck would have it someone else that was fishing cut through the trees where I was lying wearing a camo jacket & pants and when I said "Hello" I think he may have "crapped" himself when the ground spoke to him LOL

A few hundred yards from the bridge where the trip was ending we got out again, to try our luck as we had just seen 5-6 Steelies swim past us on the river bend and after 1/2 an hour we decided to call it a day and head back. By now my legs, knees, hips & back is hurting badly & I was completely exhausted, as I sat down in the canoe it started drifting out in the current & so I reached over to grab a Willow branch to pull the front back in and.... next thing I knew the canoe was a submarine and I was sitting waist deep in the river in shock as to how cold my nether regions had become.

It was only me that got my A*s soaked & so it was an uncomfortable float down to the bridge, the car & a dry change of clothes but I must say I did enjoy the experience & the company and new friend. Will I canoe again, maybe only in the summer & where I don't have to get in and out too often, but I did think you know I think I would enjoy fishing from a boat but how would I convince the wife! LOL

The big thing is I am learning more what my limitations are.... and maybe pushing it a bit but at least I'm not sitting at home.

Harold if you read this thanks for the experience...

Ronnie

PS I found a 3.5 pound Steelhead in my Jacket pocket when I got home LMAO

#12 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Fishingnoob, I tried to msg you there but said you cannot receive any msg's ??

#13 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Fishingnoob, I tried to msg you there but said you cannot receive any msg's ??

My inbox might be full, I delete a few messages try again.

#14 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

My inbox might be full, I delete a few messages try again.

Still not able to send you a msg, could it be turned off so you cant receive?

#15 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Still not able to send you a msg, could it be turned off so you cant receive?

Ok, I went through all my settings it SHOULD WORK now. I'm praying.

#16 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Good job.... it worked & msg sent

#17 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Good job.... it worked & msg sent

Thanks.

#18 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I have an uncle in a Chair, and he is an avid outdoorsmen, I take him out when I can, he hunts more then fishes. But in the Winter He ice-fishes at least once every 2 weeks. mostly lake Joe for Laketrout. But he will also Fish walleye and pike and bass out of a 12-14-16 foot boat. Yes I know it is Way Harder for him to fish then me or others with no real diabilitys. but he still gets out there. RonnieTO I know I am a 3 hour drive away up here in Parry Sound Area but if you wanted to go Ice fishing this winter or any other winter, all you have to do is get ahold of me in advance and I will take you if I am able. As long as you are able to get into a Side-by-side UTV.

#19 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Ronni your a animal bro---for real---and that story about the ground talkin made me pee a little---with a quick PM no one would deny you a good spot or two --they would be nuts if they did---PS if you add me to the PM that would also be a bonus hahahahaha peace bro...still laughing about the ground talking thing lol

#20 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I have an uncle in a Chair, and he is an avid outdoorsmen, I take him out when I can, he hunts more then fishes. But in the Winter He ice-fishes at least once every 2 weeks. mostly lake Joe for Laketrout. But he will also Fish walleye and pike and bass out of a 12-14-16 foot boat. Yes I know it is Way Harder for him to fish then me or others with no real diabilitys. but he still gets out there. RonnieTO I know I am a 3 hour drive away up here in Parry Sound Area but if you wanted to go Ice fishing this winter or any other winter, all you have to do is get ahold of me in advance and I will take you if I am able. As long as you are able to get into a Side-by-side UTV.

Hey Liger, I am glad to see that your Uncle makes the most of things and has managed to work around his disability and do what he is able to do.

That is what I am trying to accomplish here, I know there are other people out there struggling every day with one thing or other, some people have found ways round about it and still manage to get out and enjoy the day with friends or family rather than sitting at home dwelling on things.

Thanks Liger for giving me (and others hopefully) ideas on how to get out on the water or hard water without the struggle of enduring a marathon walk and climb that a lot of people take in their stride as it is just part of fishing for Steelhead etc.

I need to check out the possibility of coming up with some cash and invest in boat of some kind that wont break the bank (and wont land me in divorce court LOL) and maybe in the Spring I can get out on some of the smaller lakes & ponds and return some of the favour I have been shown by some of you great Members that have offered me a hand up here.

Liger I would love to go ice fishing sometime but a 3 hour drive during the summer is easy it may be a bit of a struggle in snow & ice but if that doesnt work out maybe I will get up your way and say hello next year....

I take my hat off to your Uncle having the stamina & the guts to get out there and keep the dark clouds away...

Thanks again

Ronnie