36 replies to this topic

#1 WEISMAN

WEISMAN

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hello folks,

I'm new to fly fishing. Now that the season is closed, I'm kicking myself that I didn't start angling earlier than this past October! That being said - and pardon my ignorance - are there such things as private streams? Or private ponds? If so - any favorites an hour or two within the GTA?

Thanks,
Weisman

#2 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hello folks,

I'm new to fly fishing. Now that the season is closed, I'm kicking myself that I didn't start angling earlier than this past October! That being said - and pardon my ignorance - are there such things as private streams? Or private ponds? If so - any favorites an hour or two within the GTA?

Thanks,
Weismas

Welcome...lots of open water until Dec31

#3 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

welcome cc is right lots or rivers have parts open till dec 31 and a few have sections open all year

#4 WEISMAN

WEISMAN

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Welcome...lots of open water until Dec31

welcome cc is right lots or rivers have parts open till dec 31 and a few have sections open all year

Any rivers with small rainbow, browns, or brookies?

Thanks, folks.
Weisman

#5 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

hey bro where you located? we have a cold weather plan for this weekend in full effect..saddle up...

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Any rivers with small rainbow, browns, or brookies?

Thanks, folks.
Weisman

lots of trout taking surface food this past monday, its too bad i didn't have any dry flies with me......for lake ont tribs, for the most part its either south of the cnr tracks, or hw 2, which ever one is closer to the lake,, some rivers like the rouge are open til the 31st of dec i beleive, so just look at a map, and figure out where you can fish the most water for the open season, all rivers are going to hold trout this time of year, its just a matter of finding the fish

#7 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

lots of trout taking surface food this past monday, its too bad i didn't have any dry flies with me......for lake ont tribs, for the most part its either south of the cnr tracks, or hw 2, which ever one is closer to the lake,, some rivers like the rouge are open til the 31st of dec i beleive, so just look at a map, and figure out where you can fish the most water for the open season, all rivers are going to hold trout this time of year, its just a matter of finding the fish

really what was hatching that would have been pretty cool to see

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

maybe a cadis fly, not sure,woulda been small and short lived, im alive im alive, oh crap im frozen lol right about 230-3pm all i could see was trout surfacing everywhere, most of the guys down there shortened their setup to have the bait 6-12" below the float,

#9 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

hmmm i have heard of it happening but not in november so i guess i will throw some dries in my steel head fly boxes

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

i'd be surprised if this weekend isn't more of the same, with all this nice weather we're getting, something is bound to hatch early

#11 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

there can be hatch's all winter long usually small still like midges on warmer day and trout really wont rise for them but some stones will hatch in march when the snow starts to melt

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

im still learning the hatch cycles, imagine thats going to take some time to figure it out lol

#13 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:26 AM

ya me to its hard to tell sometimes i have been on rivers and there have been 5 different hatchs going on from caddis to blue winged olive and tricos

#14 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hello folks,

Thanks,
Weisman

Weisman there are private ponds 45 minutes north of Brampton for fly fishing catch and release, pond for Speckled trout and a pond for Rainbows. I think it's $4 entrance fee and if you decide to keep the fish it's so much a pound. You can google it or if you want PM me & I will tell you where it is

#15 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

weisman--we are going to one on saturday near alliston--25 bucks fish till you drop--or 4 hours whatever comes first

#16 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

ronnie you should come--we can dine in the RV after lolol

#17 mauro

mauro

Sunfish

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

what private pond is north of brampton?

#18 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

that pond will cost a fortune if they make you pay for what you catch--ponds are usually 10 dollars per pound---the one in alliston is 25 for fishing and catch and release--mauro PM me

#19 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ya for fly fishing you can catch and release but with barbless hooks

#20 dsukh

dsukh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Yea what sucks is that a lot of ponds make you keep what you catch. Can easily drain your money without knowing it lol