• 867 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

#2 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

to be honest i wouldn't even believe a story like that on a forum, hearsay leaves too much to the human mind and everyone knows people on the internet like to talk nonsense lol.

i've never heard of that "80% of bead hookups are on the outside of the mouth". all the fish i've hooked on beads have been legit inside corner of the mouth hooksets. maybe if buddy was fishing his bead like 12" up from the hook, the CO might have grounds for a charge. who knows what the rest of the story was either. maybe he had a sinker on 6" up from the bead. maybe his bead was 6mm and his hook was a size 4 lol. too many variables to really come to a sound conclusion on what happened there.

#3 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

#4 christotheashto

christotheashto

Sunfish

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

bead is always the same, about 2" from hook. the premise behind the bead kind of betrays the idea that a fish would be hooked on the outside of the mouth, no?
fish eats bead and immediately turns around to return to its lie. as it turns and runs, the tension on the line pulls the bead out of the fish's mouth and the hook catches the inside of the lip on the way out.

maybe what you read is a statement like "What will happen is when you set the hook, your pulling the bead out of the fishes mouth driving the hook into the out side corner of the mouth every time" where, by "outside corner" he simply means, the deepest most crevice of the side of the mouth. not specifically the outside of the mouth. ?? just speculation!!

i've just never heard that theory and never foul hooked a fish with a bead. i'd throw a piss fit if a CO tried to charge me though LOL

#5 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Every bead hookup ive had has been on the outside of the mouth. Fish takes bead -- line with hook is still hanging out of the fishes mouth -- hookset into the side of the mouth. Thats not a foul hook as it is still in the mouth.

#6 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Whats the difference between a bead and a spoon? They both have bare hooks? The only difference is 1-2 inchs of line from the bead to the hook. Id flip a bird, why would every fishing store sell illegal fishing equipment. Maybe use the thread that directs you to the "ask a C.O" web site

#7 steelies

steelies

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Every bead hookup ive had has been on the outside of the mouth. Fish takes bead -- line with hook is still hanging out of the fishes mouth -- hookset into the side of the mouth. Thats not a foul hook as it is still in the mouth.

Ahh... So that's how you floss a fish :D lol just playing bro.

#8 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I generally rig my bead close to the hook and get them inside the mouth, but not too far down. It's mostly a confidence thing. I'll probably slide my bead all the way down to the hook if I see an officer. I honestly wouldn't want to go through that bs.

#9 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I generally rig my bead close to the hook and get them inside the mouth, but not too far down. It's mostly a confidence thing. I'll probably slide my bead all the way down to the hook if I see an officer. I honestly wouldn't want to go through that bs.

Heck I would slide it a bit further up just so I could get the ticket, go to court to fight it and win so I can set a precedence for all of the other bead anglers out there.

#10 Andrew McGhie

Andrew McGhie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Someone made a good point about the spoon. The majority of cast and retrieve lures all technically have bare hooks lol.. Theres no way they're illegal unless as stated about, its 12" above the hook haha..

I just started fishing beads this year and I've had some pretty good success, no foul hooks or fish hooked anywhere close to deep in the mouth.

#11 Tangled Spool

Tangled Spool

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Around 1 month ago I was fishing one of the streams around my place using beads; then a CO approached....as he walked over, I thought SHI@#$%^&@#$%#$ while touching my rear pocket and didn't feel my wallet= no licence (not even the driver's one).....crap!!!..so when he asked for my license I honestly said " I don't have it with me but I swear I have one" hahahaa I'm sure they've heard that 1 or 2 times; cool guy, he said: no problem give me your name and birth date and I'll call to verify if what you're saying is true. while the central office verified my info he took a look at my tackle and asked : hey what are you using? don't you put anything on the hook or you just lost your bait?, I said: "I was trying this setup for salmon and seems to be effective"... he only said: "interesting".
oh, and btw, my info was verified and he let me go :grin:

#12 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I heard that beads were outlawed in California. I can't see why they would do something like that. Has anyone heard about this in any greater detail?

#13 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Heck I would slide it a bit further up just so I could get the ticket, go to court to fight it and win so I can set a precedence for all of the other bead anglers out there.

You'd be a hero :)

#14 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

lol

The main point of the story that came out on the other board is missing in this thread though. We dont have the first hand count of the story so there are probably other factors involved. It could be that the CO is more of a hunter than a fisherman or maybe the pool was gin clear and the guy was trying to snag a salmon. There are too many details missing to jump to conclusions.

#15 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

#16 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

i fished beads 4 days now and starting to get it down. bead placement is everything, an inch and a half from hook is perfect any more and you start hooking fish around the mouth and not in it. i put the bead up 10 inches and put roebag below in the murk

#17 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

i fished beads 4 days now and starting to get it down. bead placement is everything, an inch and a half from hook is perfect any more and you start hooking fish around the mouth and not in it. i put the bead up 10 inches and put roebag below in the murk

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

i can see how it COULD viewed as illegal, as the bait is on the line as opposed to the hook, but then again, how is it any different than having a stinger hook on the back of a lure or fly?

and they better not be illegal since i just bought 60 of em :shock:

#19 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

i started with bag and bead when the water came way up then worked my way down in size to bead only this week

#20 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:02 AM

Awesome, i was wondering about that..