• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 inthebush

inthebush

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hello everyone, just found this site and it looks amazing...I am looking forward to seeing what I can learn from the members.

It looks like a great resource for information and may be I will be able to help where ever I can also

First topic for discussion:

Does anyone know the "Haliburton and surrounding area" well enough to let me in on any good lakes to get my lines wet?

I have a great little aluminum and the ability to put it most anywhere, so don't be shy about the little back lakes....

I would prefer to be fishing for trout but all info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all for creating this forum :grin:

hope to get ALOT of use out of it.

Attached Images

• back to the depths.jpg

#2 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Welcome to the forum.
How about some more info? What do you fish for and with what? Where abouts in Haliburton are you.

If anything we should be asking you for some hot spots.....lol. There are a couple of thousand little backwood lakes that if I lived there I'd be fishing a different one everyday. I'll be heading up there next summer with my fly rod and a couple of guys from the forum.

Good luck.

#3 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Welcome. Loads of info, how much time you got on your hands to look through it all? :D

I'll be heading up there next summer with my fly rod and a couple of guys from the forum.

Keen are we? ;)

#4 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Schnip was up in the Minden area 3 weeks ago and said he found some good rivers to fish while driving. It's probably too late in the season now so we plan to hit them next summer or when trout season opens. Since he has his new fly rod we'll be flying. Plenty of us going I think about 5 of us on the fly. It'll be awesome, maybe even camp out. Back wood lakes that are hardly touched should have tons of fish in them.

#5 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

yes sir....

#6 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like a blast grub!

Since he has his new fly rod we'll be flying. .

Couldn't help yourself could ya... ;)

#7 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

Welcome :grin:

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sounds like a blast grub!

Couldn't help yourself could ya... ;)

Hell by his 9-10th cast he pretty much had the false casting down. It's gonna be a blast to hit natural specks in backwood lakes. I've been to a few, tell ya it's different then any Kawartha lake. No development, no houses, maybe the odd campfire accross the lake and only the light from moon and stars to see the lake. You got to try it if and when you ever get the chance.

#9 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Welcome to the site hey grub you should have seen schnips casting yesterday much better now if we could have caught a fish

#10 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Schnip is really getting into the fly. Too bad I couldn't make it yesterday.

We met up at the same spot today. Skunk-o-mania, one huge fish chased MichaelAngelo's rig to the surface and then chickened out at the surface. What a little SOB, made a huge flop on the surface then dove and hid somewhere. Totally caught Michael off guard. Teased us to keep casting for another 2 hours......lol.

I sure hope we get more rain soon and more bows come up. It was gin clear for the most parts of the river and very low.

Spring in Haliburton will be awesome, that's where we'll need to match the hatch...... :D

#11 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

i have a list of places---mad river and a little palce called minde ontario are both involved...lol grub lots of places up there like you said--and i cant wait to hit a little north west in madriver territory---FLY FISHIN!

#12 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

oh ya i spent a few hours today looking up some new brown and Brooke trout water on Google earth today

#13 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

o yeah baby...i cant wait-

#14 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

hibernation until march---

#15 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

what you giving up on steelheading

#16 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

not sure--very frustrated...

#17 schnip

schnip

Perch

• Active Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

i will order some flies---it will calm my nerveslol

#18 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

not sure--very frustrated...

DOOD I had 24 years of frustration. Give it time, today was the sh!ts, one or two fish here and there. That's it. There has to be more fish at some point or some other place. You have the gear, you have the skills, you just have to be patient. You will get yours it's timing and luck. I don't know how those guys fishing shoulder to shoulder can keep on fishing. How do they know a fish will take their bait and not the next guy's? I mean that's got to be frustrating if the next guy is using the same bait and nails a fish. Wait for better conditons, today was a nice day and seems trout don't like nice days, they are some kind of misery lover or something.

Let's see how much rain comes this week for the next weekend. I'll see you at the same spot Sat.

#19 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

man you guys should come up here and give a gb trib a try

#20 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts