• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

I was looking at the government of ontario regulations and could only find information on the use of live bait, does anybody know the links concerning dead bait? I'm wondering if I can use frozen fish from the grocery store, or do I have to have a receipt for a bait store? thanks.

#2 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

I was looking at the government of ontario regulations and could only find information on the use of live bait, does anybody know the links concerning dead bait? I'm wondering if I can use frozen fish from the grocery store, or do I have to have a receipt for a bait store? thanks.

I'm pretty sure, you can use frozen shrimp. Not sure about fish though.

#3 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

I would think it would be ok
The main purpose of the restrictions of bait is to stop invasive species
But I would defiantly keep looking into it

#4 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

As Rusty said the live bait regulations are to stop invasive fish entering a water system. For example, a guy goes and catches his own bait fish from a local river. He then takes the live bait to an other system and fishes with them. At the end of his fishing day he has left over bait so he dumps the remainder in the water. Now that system has bait fish thay may not have been there before. Using a dead herring or something from a grocery store elimnates that as the bait isn't going to magicaly come back alive and invade the body of water. However maybe there are other reasons? Bacterias from the dead fish? Its a good question!

#5 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

I have used frozen shrimp before. As the other guys stated, the MNR is worried about species invading. You could probably use frozen fish, but i don't know if you'd catch anything with it though.

#6 dockmuskie

dockmuskie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

deleted post

#7 jackthefish

jackthefish

Sunfish

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I do not recall ever seeing anything published by the MNR in regards to using dead bait.

Check out this link:
http://www.mnr.gov.o...age/198684.html

From their you can find out about what is savvy for live bait, but again, it does not mention anything about dead bait.

BPS sells vacuum sealed bags of dead shiners and I've heard folks in NY state like to squeeze flat-fish lures into sardines, herring and smelt. Also heard of channel cat anglers using dead fish for cut-bait.

#8 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

An old guy that fishes Pike at a spot I frequent regulary in the spring(before the crowds show) uses packed fish from the store. He gets fish on them but I have never seen him catch anything but Pike. And the spot is more knowen for its walleye. However I think he wants the Pike but its hard to understand him through his thick accent lol.

#9 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

As Rusty said the live bait regulations are to stop invasive fish entering a water system. For example, a guy goes and catches his own bait fish from a local river. He then takes the live bait to an other system and fishes with them. At the end of his fishing day he has left over bait so he dumps the remainder in the water. Now that system has bait fish thay may not have been there before. Using a dead herring or something from a grocery store elimnates that as the bait isn't going to magicaly come back alive and invade the body of water. However maybe there are other reasons? Bacterias from the dead fish? Its a good question!

Seems logical, and in response to your second post.. Basically I'm only thinking of doing this for Pike, I've heard smelly frozen fish like herring, smelt, and others are really good at attracting Pike, and Catfish too!

Thanks for all the responses.

#10 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I have used frozen shrimp before. As the other guys stated, the MNR is worried about species invading. You could probably use frozen fish, but i don't know if you'd catch anything with it though.

What were you using frozen shrimp for? The only reason I could think the ministry would have something against it is maybe its unsportsmanlike? i dunno, I don't why it would be though.

#11 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

I would think it would be ok
The main purpose of the restrictions of bait is to stop invasive species
But I would defiantly keep looking into it

I did a pretty thorough search, I made this post out of frustration, unable to find anything on the ministry regulations, and google search just led me to confusing threads from other websites on the same topic.

I'll search again when I have more time, I dunno if its worth risking unless I find something concrete. I have an idea, maybe I'll call the ministry myself. (If I do, I'll make sure to post any information I get from them.)

#12 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

What were you using frozen shrimp for? The only reason I could think the ministry would have something against it is maybe its unsportsmanlike? i dunno, I don't why it would be though.

I was fishing for catfish :grin:

#13 munkinstein

munkinstein

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Dead bait don't work? Really, its what I've used to catch 20 + lb pike in the U.K. It's all anyone uses really.

#14 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Dead bait don't work? Really, its what I've used to catch 20 + lb pike in the U.K. It's all anyone uses really.

Some nice pike in this vid, Hope it works out for me like that lol; I just want to give it a couple of tries, I hear it can be really productive.

#15 muskyman

muskyman

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

large frozen sardines do wonders on a tip up for hardwater pike...well has worked for me, dont thaw them out though they get too soft and fall off the hook :)