• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hey guys what do you think about this fish finder? I'm looking for a portable fishfinder that i can put on my canoe.

Feedback, comment?

http://www.basspro.c.../product/97454/

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

its one of the lower end huminbird fishfinders, too expensive imo, most of the price is in the bracket.
you should get this and make a transducer wet mount for a canoe, the one you posted does not have half the options

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

its one of the lower end huminbird fishfinders, too expensive imo, most of the price is in the bracket.
you should get this and make a transducer wet mount for a canoe, the one you posted does not have half the options

That one does look good, but i want one that is all ready to go. I am also new to fishfinders and want one that is easy to read. Also i want one that shows the fish clearly because in southern ontario the waters are chocolate milk year round.

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

That one does look good, but i want one that is all ready to go. I am also new to fishfinders and want one that is easy to read. Also i want one that shows the fish clearly because in southern ontario the waters are chocolate milk year round.

I'd love a fishfinder! I just don't got a boat... :D

#5 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Check out these prices from LeBaron: http://www.lebaron.c...m_300series.pdf . I agree with efka that those are basic and I would go for one that was more like what he was recommending.

#6 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

go with higher end models, you won't regret. i have piranamax 220 on my kayak and compared to my x67c its a joke when it comes to options and accuracy. sometimes it glitches but still shows the depth and fish.
right now i would choose between lowrance and huminbird

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

How about this one if I make it portable for ice fishing? I have an aluminum case I can use to make a unit and I found one on kijiji for 50 bucks.

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

How about this one if I make it portable for ice fishing? I have an aluminum case I can use to make a unit and I found one on kijiji for 50 bucks.

If you do decide to get a fish finder, I would get one that can work both for hard water and soft water fishing.

#9 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

I still like the fishin' buddy because it can easily be clamped on and off of my canoe, can be used on a dock, and doesn't require a car battery.

#10 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Some of the portable kits contain everything you need; the sonar in a protective housing, the battery and the transducer with a suction cup to put on the side of your canoe. The ones Elka pointed out have everything included and more value for your dollar.

#11 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Some of the portable kits contain everything you need; the sonar in a protective housing, the battery and the transducer with a suction cup to put on the side of your canoe. The ones Elka pointed out have everything included and more value for your dollar.

What kind of battery do you put in?

EDIT: Nevermind i looked and it requires a 12v battery. Thats the reason why id like to avoid that kind because i have tons of saftey gear and a cooler in my canoe so there's no room for the big battery.

#12 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

12v batteries come in different sizes
you only need 7ah, where car battery is usualy 80ah.
the batteries that are used with portable fishfinders are not that big, 1/8 the size of the car battery, maybe even smaller.

#13 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

i went light and use a 4 ah gelcell. still get all day on my x67. have used 7 ah forever but i find i get caught with a low battery thinking ill get "one more day" out of it.

#14 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

The battery fits into the portable caring case along with the charger and the transducer. This battery that fits in this case will easily last the whole day. There is no extra battery out side this portable package that you have to carry, all you will need to do is pull the transducer out, plug it in, stick it on the side of your canoe and turn the unit on.

#15 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm going to look at some different fish finders and i'll keep the ones suggested in mind :grin: