• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

Quantium actually has some really really nice spinning and baitcasting reels, problem is they cost quite a bit. As for their lower end rods and reels I agree, stay far far away. With Quantium anything under $70 is junk.

20 years ago I paid $70 at the toronto Sportsman Show for the reel. Today's equivilent would be what about $100 or $120 ? Back then it was a mid-range reel. So Quantum will always be on my black list. But thanks for your tip.

#22 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

20 years ago I paid $70 at the toronto Sportsman Show for the reel. Today's equivilent would be what about $100 or $120 ? Back then it was a mid-range reel. So Quantum will always be on my black list. But thanks for your tip.

The TP tour series rods are also great bass and pike rods and come backed with a lifetime warranty. It seems like they make two types of products; crappy tire products and high end products.

Killer Baitcasting Reel - I held this one in my hands at a show and couldnt believe how light it is.
http://www.quantumfi...5/Smoke-PT.aspx

Spinning Version
http://www.quantumfi...2278/Smoke.aspx

The only quantium products I have now are both no longer made. The Superlite 6'6 one piece med-heavy for flipping and a 8'6 PT tour that I use for alot of different purposes. Both are incrediable rods and both have lifetime warranties.

This looks similar to my discontinued Superlite
http://www.quantumfi...0/Smoke-PT.aspx

All in all it sounds like they have come a long way from 20 years ago. If you feel like throwing some money away u should give them another chance. lol

#23 free reign

free reign

Sunfish

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well bud i'd say forget the lawyer and court.
Rods are cheap mang and as for the reel I've trashed many, so i bought a shimano stratic 4000..

#24 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

X2

Smooth drag and performance for the price and it comes in several sizes. The only gripe is how the handle fastens to the reel. Every now and then I have to resist the urge to rest my hand going against the anti-reverse -- which is how you unfasten the handle from the reel. Kind of silly, but otherwise the only gripe.

Notice it too.

#25 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have to add that the reels I stay away from due to poor assembly, design or just manufacturing are Quantum/Zebco (same company) and the low end Diawa. With Quantum being on my black list. One other member has the exact same problem with his Quantum as I did on my 20 year old reel. I got 2 months use out of mine 20 years ago and they still have the same problem. Piece of crap I'll never touch again. The low end Diawa no lub, loose screws, wobbles like a vibrator.

This is all true, but I love my zebeco 33!

#26 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I have to add that the reels I stay away from due to poor assembly, design or just manufacturing are Quantum/Zebco (same company) and the low end Diawa. With Quantum being on my black list. One other member has the exact same problem with his Quantum as I did on my 20 year old reel. I got 2 months use out of mine 20 years ago and they still have the same problem. Piece of crap I'll never touch again. The low end Diawa no lub, loose screws, wobbles like a vibrator.

quantum is on my shitlist too, I bought a 50 dollar quantam real for salmon, and at first it worked well, after a couple of hours of fishing it developed the notorious wobble though, and everything was tight.

#27 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

I love Mitchell reels can't go wrong. I own 3 Mitchell reels 2 XGe's one a 300 and one a 308 and an older model. Forget what model it is but it was the top one they had out about 5 years ago. Its my go to reel and never once had a problem. They have nice big handles on them, easy to grab with gloves on. Id stay away fron the lower end stuff but the top end stuff is only 50-60$ anyways.

I've actually had some cheaper Mitchell's, they performed really well and lasted forever. Right now im leaning towards the Shimano Sienna that people here posted

This is probably Shimano's cheapest reel, and also one of the cheapest available at Canadian Tire and Walmart ($20 at CT).Posted ImageClick here for linkThe reviews are correct. The price is cheap, but the quality is great. I bought a $50-70 reel a little while ago (not a Shimano though) and it was worse than the IX.The good thing about the IX is that the drag is on the bottom - you won't accidentally nudge and change it. Give it a good soaking with WD40 every once in a while, (invert it and spray in the crevice), and it will last for a long time. The IX4000 is the same reel, just bigger. I prefer the feel of the IX2000, but I have one of each. The Quick Fire button is a little annoying, but it doesn't bother me anymore because I got used to its presence. I think it's less intrusive on the IX2000. Before salmon fishing or before a day of steelheading where you anticipate a lot of action, definitely soak it with WD40.

Do you think this would be enough for salmon? If i can save a few bucks would be worth it.

#28 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

I use the pfugler president, I think I got it for 60$. It's a good reel imho. Whatever you get, make sure you like it and that it fits the needs of your style of fishing.

x2

#29 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

another one im considering is the Abu Garcia Cardinal, from bass pro shop, its 29.99 or 39.99 depending on the model, lots of good reviews.

#30 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Do you think this would be enough for salmon? If i can save a few bucks would be worth it.

Depends how many salmon you catch. If you're going to catch 10 salmon on 10 outings, make sure it's well lubed, and that the drag is set tight enough.

If you're lure chucking off piers and just catching one or two per outing, it should be fine.

Salmon are the ultimate game fish when it comes to testing your reel. If you go for the IX, just give it a very good spray down with WD40 every once in a while, it will keep it going like new.

#31 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

another one im considering is the Abu Garcia Cardinal, from bass pro shop, its 29.99 or 39.99 depending on the model, lots of good reviews.

An older angler once told me, the older Cardinal 4's were the last good reels. They were made in Scandinavia and built to last.

The current Abu Garcia Cardinal is one of the reels I've tried, it fell apart in no time. I can't remember if it was one of the reels where I'd accidentally hit the drag on top, but it may have been. Just be aware of the drag control placement on any reel you're looking at, if it's in the wrong place or if it gives too easily, it will mess up your fishing.

#32 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

I've got the Cardinal 810 (it is pretty old...I'd guess 20 years?) and beat the heck out it in all types of conditions. I've never serviced it and it still works a treat. Even the fast cast trigger still functions just like when I got it.

I'm a fan!

#33 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

This is probably Shimano's cheapest reel, and also one of the cheapest available at Canadian Tire and Walmart ($20 at CT).

Posted Image

Click here for link

The reviews are correct. The price is cheap, but the quality is great. I bought a $50-70 reel a little while ago (not a Shimano though) and it was worse than the IX.

The good thing about the IX is that the drag is on the bottom - you won't accidentally nudge and change it. Give it a good soaking with WD40 every once in a while, (invert it and spray in the crevice), and it will last for a long time. The IX4000 is the same reel, just bigger. I prefer the feel of the IX2000, but I have one of each. The Quick Fire button is a little annoying, but it doesn't bother me anymore because I got used to its presence. I think it's less intrusive on the IX2000.

Before salmon fishing or before a day of steelheading where you anticipate a lot of action, definitely soak it with WD40.

Great reels for sure, ive only used the IX4000 but am going to get a 2000 for next spring. Cant go wrong with these reels and the drag on the bottom is way betetr IMO

#34 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

I went with a Mitchell Avocet 4, it was 39.99 at Bass pro; I got the AVGIV-3000, here's a pic
Posted Image

I'll let you guys know when I use it, Which probably won't be for a few months (mine broke though and I didn't have the patience to wait for the sale, (yes im an idiot).

Maybe I'll go for steelhead a few times, Though I've never tried for them before and I hear its hard.

#35 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

Never used a Avocet, but im sure you won't be dissapointed. Looks good too!

#36 steelies

steelies

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Daiwa sol 3000 if you could find it. I abuse it to death for 4 years. Never had it tuned, still as smooth as the first day I bought it.

#37 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

I know your budget is $50 at most. If you can get the Penn Fierce ($79) on sale....you won't use any reel again( sounds like an ad i know ) I got 2....1 for small games and 1 for bigger game. they are the best i've tried so far.

and btw...why hire a lawyer to get your $50 - $500 rod? let it go.

#38 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Daiwa sol 3000 if you could find it. I abuse it to death for 4 years. Never had it tuned, still as smooth as the first day I bought it.

That's a good reel!

#39 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

As for why they took my rod, They said I was within 25 yards of a darn and I wasn't (though some other guys fishing nearby were) So I'm taking a lawyer to court.

Put your lawyer money into a new rod - you won't win. As for reels, go to the fishing show and buy last year's model. I like Shimano - the Saros is really nice. Many good features on it, but the Anti-Reverse that eliminates backplay for solid hooksets is one of my favorites.

#40 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I went with a Mitchell Avocet 4, it was 39.99 at Bass pro; I got the AVGIV-3000, here's a pic
Posted Image

I'll let you guys know when I use it, Which probably won't be for a few months (mine broke though and I didn't have the patience to wait for the sale, (yes im an idiot).

Maybe I'll go for steelhead a few times, Though I've never tried for them before and I hear its hard.

First of all congrats on the reel, that's sweet looking. I doubt you will be dissapointed with that one. I have the Avocet II on a 7'6" UL and fought a couple of 10lb sheephead with it and won. Everything on it is smooth and well made.

Good luck with the steethead, too bad not too many salmon left to test it out on. If you don't find the steel there's always carp that you can break it in with.

What ever you catch, hope to see a pic of the reel next to your catch. :D