• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

IMG-20121129-00057.jpg Finally, after a couple of days seeing this fish splashing right in front of me I managed to hook and land it. Great fight, launched a couple of times, teased me several times when I thought it was done and took off again. Loved the feel and control of just using your hand as the brake, everything I expected. Booya!

#2 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Congrats man, Ive yet to experience the landing of a quality river fish, doing it on the pin must be a rush in itself

#3 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Congrats man, Ive yet to experience the landing of a quality river fish, doing it on the pin must be a rush in itself

Thanks, I was totally amped. keep at it, persistence is key. I'm still learning. Took me several trips before I popped my steelhead cherry a couple of years ago.

#4 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Very nice. You'll like the setup.

#5 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Great catch!!!!! On a really nice outfit too. Hey if you get tired of the electrical tape, we on the forum talked about using Fusion Tape instead. It does not leave a sticky residue b/c it only sticks to itself.

Congrats again on the outfit and fish.

#6 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Great catch!!!!! On a really nice outfit too. Hey if you get tired of the electrical tape, we on the forum talked about using Fusion Tape instead. It does not leave a sticky residue b/c it only sticks to itself.

Beautiful fish! Question - electrical tape?

#7 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

Beautiful fish! Question - electrical tape?

The electrical tape is used to hold the sliding rings in position. The sliding rings allows you to move the reel to a spot that you prefer on the handle. When you find that spot, tape it down...

#8 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Great catch!

#9 RonnieTO

RonnieTO

Sunfish

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

The electrical tape is used to hold the sliding rings in position. The sliding rings allows you to move the reel to a spot that you prefer on the handle. When you find that spot, tape it down...

I thought it was in case of lightening strikes! *Joking* Posted Image

#10 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Seeing as I'm an electrician, I have an abundance of electrical tape.I carry it my vest. I'm curious as to what people use to secure their reels, as I found out early it doesn't necessarily stay put, and when it falls off, usually it's in the river on the only rock in your vicinity.First scratch,oh well it's broke in now. Adventures of a noob part 1.I should make a DVD of my mishaps. I've seen tape and cable ties so far, not sure what fusion tape is, at work occasionally we use rubber splicing tape which is non adhesive and as you stretch and wrap it adheres to itself, which we then cover with vinyl tape. Perhaps I'll try that.

#11 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

I thought it was in case of lightening strikes! *Joking* Posted Image

ha-If it's gonna happen it would happen to me.

#12 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Thanks, quest ce se fusion tape? Where does one find this?

#13 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Very nice. You'll like the setup.

Smooth as silk , just gotta refine my rigging and casting.

#14 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Rubber splicing tape, that's it. I was giving you a brand name of the same thing. What I did for my rod was take a 6" piece and fold it lengthwise and wrap it on the handle where I want my top ring to stay. Then I do the same for the rear ring. BINGO done.

Yeah sucks to have your reel fall off. But I kinda like the slip ring rods as you can balance them better then fixed reel seats. Some people are bothered by the sticky glue of electrical tape, some not, just to let you know.

Cheers.

#15 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Rubber splicing tape, that's it. I was giving you a brand name of the same thing. What I did for my rod was take a 6" piece and fold it lengthwise and wrap it on the handle where I want my top ring to stay. Then I do the same for the rear ring. BINGO done.

Yeah sucks to have your reel fall off. But I kinda like the slip ring rods as you can balance them better then fixed reel seats. Some people are bothered by the sticky glue of electrical tape, some not, just to let you know.

Cheers.

Lots of that in the garage too. Thanks

#16 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Wire ties with tape over it sounds like a pretty secure way of attatching it. The tape over the ties will keep it from jabbing into your hand

#17 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

My dad has a center pin that he bought and used twice, Im going to give it a go the next time I get out, I think he mentioned line twist as a big problem. Not sure if its due to the casting method he used. If I were to add a barrel swivel would this eliminate line twist?

#18 OCDComputing

OCDComputing

Perch

• Active Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Ahhhh! So that's how they work! I was looking at a float rod with the sliding rings and was wondering how you stopped them from moving! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post!

#19 FISHCHRIS

FISHCHRIS

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

nice steelhead coldhands, i have the exact same setup islander and rv9.i as well recently fought and landed my first few steelhead on the pin, your right can't beat the feeling of the give and take while fighting the fish using your hand and palm to apply pressure when needed on the pin anyway congrats on the fish :D

#20 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Congrats! Great fish and nice setup.