Photo

8lb Test XT Trilene Mono-Good steelie mainline???

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Trilene 8lb XT mono good for handling eastern trib chromers?

Attached Images

• 0002863216695_500X500.jpg

#2 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yup, but keep in mind that if you're using a leader, it'll be the leader that will be the most prone to breaking.

#3 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

whats the difference between no leader and leader? is it just that fluro is harde rfor the to see in the water then mono????

#4 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Fluro also sinks and mono floats making fluro better for under a float. As long as your lead is a lighter lbs test then your main when you break off it will be your lead that snaps 98% of the time.

#5 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes that line would be fine and floro is thinner and does sink just like Can -ang 87 said. Most of the floats you use are the most expensive part of the rig, so you use the floro leader which is 2 lb less, the leader breaks and you only loose your hook and leader. The Floro has the same refraction as water, so it is difficult for the fish to see.

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

i actually use 6lb mono for bows, and all i fish is eastern, i typically use stren or the trilene with no issues

#7 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

I like XT 10lb for main (winter). 8lb trilene XL shot line.

I really like XT, as it implies, it's tough. Cheap too.

I don't get hung up on keeping a "light" main line. As long as its manageable, use heavy-ish line. I wouldn't go over 12-15, if you wrap a float around something...you could be in trouble!

As long as you keep your final presentation on appropriate line, the rest is just your work-horse.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

i'm using trilene mono 8lb as well.. red box. pretty good. will hold on to a good size brown...fluoro is what makes or breaks to land the fish.

#9 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

so you need a fluro leader for steelie fishing????

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

no you don't, i've never used one and have been very successful

#11 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

so you need a fluro leader for steelie fishing????

You don't need it.

It just helps to keep the line somewhat invisible when the water is clearer. Also if you're float fishing you'll save floats on break offs.

#12 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

You don't need it.

It just helps to keep the line somewhat invisible when the water is clearer. Also if you're float fishing you'll save floats on break offs.

In theory this is true although I have lost so many darn floats when i break off from a snag or a bad cast (see:overhanging branches). I will break off my leader but my float tends to also come off for whatever reason.

#13 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

where i've had the opposite of jlisk, i tie everything on my main line, for me, the fewer knots the better, i used the same float from february up until 3 weeks ago when a fish wrapped me around a stump

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

the success of landing the fish doesn't depend on using a fluoro leader vs. 8lb main straight to your lure / bait. 8lb or 6lb main line vs. fluoro has little visibility (or nothing at all )advantages in your presentation. like everyone said, you can use fluoro to save your floats. it doesn't mean you will automatically lose it when not using a leader. it depends where your 8lb / 6lb main line's weak points.

#15 FISHIN'king

FISHIN'king

Sunfish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Finally people are clearing this up for me! Thank you guys! ;)

#16 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

i use 15lbs main and 12 leader. i dont like to waste time bring fish in, the quicker i get my pic the faster the fish goes free.
plus i like the looks i get on the geen when i land fish just by walking backwards...

#17 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

i use 15lbs main and 12 leader. i dont like to waste time bring fish in, the quicker i get my pic the faster the fish goes free.
plus i like the looks i get on the geen when i land fish just by walking backwards...

kinda the same as bass anglers using 60lb braid......way overkill

#18 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thats looks like it would be good. I'm currently using trilene smooth casting mono 8lb. It works great. You should do great with that line.

#19 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Thats looks like it would be good. I'm currently using trilene smooth casting mono 8lb. It works great. You should do great with that line.

berkley used to have a line called solar it was all hot coloured float lines

#20 Andrew McGhie

Andrew McGhie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

I believe I'm using 10lb Trilene XT in an orange colour.. Local tackle shop spooled it thats why I'm a little unsure of the exact name typ haha... But I have to say, going from clear line to orange coloured line, I fell in love. Anyone else like using high vis lines? I don't think I'll use clear again.. maybe its just me