• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I have some friends that got lucky with some outboards they got, was thinking I could find something decent too.

Basically the idea is.. if it runs.. and sounds good.. it's pretty much good to go right? I mean outboards are fairly simple so can I assume if it sounds good.. it's in good condition?

Anything else I should look for when buying a used outboard? I'm looking for something 6-10 hp for spring.

I see a lot for sale but will they even run right now? considering most people winterized them.

Gonna get either a 12' or 14' aluminum boat to go with it... Hopefully get some nice Pike and Bass this spring/summer!

#2 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

What brand and age?. Some motors sound great when running them at low rpms hooked up to muffs or in a drum, but when you take them out on the water youll truly see if you made a good purchase or not.

#3 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Anything mechanical is risky. The owner should start it up for you and let it run till it warms up and starts shooting out water from the cooling system. Ask when they last changed the water pump impellers, thermostat, plugs, had a tune up. Check the prop for damage, new props $80 and up. It's really hard to tell if outboards have been dunked, dropped in the water. 2 stroke engines don't like the water in the cylinders. You can't tell how many hours of running the engine's had. You might want to take it to a marina before buying, if the owner is willing.

Better brands that I know of, Johnson, yamaha, honda.

Good luck.

#4 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

What brand and age?. Some motors sound great when running them at low rpms hooked up to muffs or in a drum, but when you take them out on the water youll truly see if you made a good purchase or not.

Most of the ones I see are Mercury, Evinrude, or Johnson. I'm trying to find one built in the 90's but 80's are easier to find

Anything mechanical is risky. The owner should start it up for you and let it run till it warms up and starts shooting out water from the cooling system. Ask when they last changed the water pump impellers, thermostat, plugs, had a tune up. Check the prop for damage, new props $80 and up. It's really hard to tell if outboards have been dunked, dropped in the water. 2 stroke engines don't like the water in the cylinders. You can't tell how many hours of running the engine's had. You might want to take it to a marina before buying, if the owner is willing.

Better brands that I know of, Johnson, yamaha, honda.

Good luck.

I don't wanna spend 400-900 on a used outboard and then have to go and buy another one or spend lots of money on repairs
Hmmm, you guys are really scaring me now (I was originally thinking of going new but friends/fam convinced me to look for used, and I'm tempted because i'd get higher HP).

If I buy new I can only afford a 3.5-5 hp engine, for a 12 foot aluminum its probably enough.. but it'll be slow.

If I do buy used, Should I even consider anything 1980 or 1970's?

#5 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I don't wanna spend 400-900 on a used outboard and then have to go and buy another one or spend lots of money on repairs
Hmmm, you guys are really scaring me now (I was originally thinking of going new but friends/fam convinced me to look for used, and I'm tempted because i'd get higher HP).

If I buy new I can only afford a 3.5-5 hp engine, for a 12 foot aluminum its probably enough.. but it'll be slow.

If I do buy used, Should I even consider anything 1980 or 1970's?

spend lots of money on repairs. That's why check it out very critically. With all outboards the area most vulnerable to damage is the lower unit. this is where you have to inspect for impact with rocks and logs. People take motors close to shore or shallow areas and will suck in debris into the cooling system, you want to make sure the engine can cool itself. Too many impacts on the lower unit means expensive repairs.

consider anything 1980 or 1970's. The major problem with motors from the '70s is the availability of replacement parts. The engine may run perfectly but can you get parts to fix it when it needs repair. This is one of the main reasons people sell them. I've seen alot of ads too, parts only or project for the mechanically inclined.....etc. They can't get the parts to fix it so they sell it. If you are there checking a motor out, have your cell with the number of a marina in your contacts. Call them up with that motor and ask if they have parts for it. Most likely they'll have to order any parts, but if none available then walk.

These are just the necessary precautions you have to take to prevent getting burned. Some people throw caution to the wind and just go for it and get lucky, some don't. You can reduce your risk by checking it out. Bring someone with you who knows outboards. They may see something you missed.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Look at the prop, is it original or is it new. If it's original check for nicks, edge ware is ok, small nicks are also ok. I had a friend who bought a boat and the prop was missing chunks. I told him he needed a new prop. He was too arrogant to listen to me. His boat takes for ever to get up on plane.

It's difficult for amature boat operators to think 3 dimensionally. The lower unit hangs below the boat's hull where they can't see it. Out of sight out of mind, till they hit rocks or logs.

#6 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

All good advice above - I'll add the following. Maintenance is really important to the lower end. The gear lube should be changed every spring before running. If the bottom end oil is "milky/cloudy", it usually means that water has mixed in with it and the seals are gone. If it was run that way for a while damage could mean expensive replacement parts. Ask a lot of questions, look for evidence of hits on the prop or even the bottom. Not talking about paint wear, but actual dings. I've repaired a few props myself, but only minor damage. An out of balance prop can really mess things up in the gears and drive, so if a damaged or bent prop was run for a while you could be buying an expensive problem. I'd steer clear of recycled lodge motors. Though they've been maintained, they've also been put through the ringer a few times. If a lodge owner doesn't want it anymore, it's probably done or nearly done and in need of an overhaul. If you're comfortable with that kind of work, you can probably score a nice motor after the job's finished. In any case, be prepared to make it a hobby.
I own a 4 stroke Merc - happy so far with it.
I doubt a 3.5-5 hp motor will plane a 12' boat. I think you'll need at least an 8-10 hp, depending on the weight and distribution in the boat.

#7 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the great advice guys.

So far from what I've taken from this thread.. IF i do buy used; do a thorough inspection.. especially of the lower unit. (look for obvious physical damage)

Make sure replacement parts are available.. so I should probably be looking for something made in the 90's.. and I'll call some of the bigger marina's and make sure they're available. I should also check the oil on the lower unit and make sure it's not milky/cloudy

Ideally I would buy new, but a 8-10 HP motor is 2 grand and up, I was hoping to spend about that much on everything.
and Joel...My dad's boat is a 12 foot fibreglass, and it planes on a 5hp... Again I don't have much experience boating, but these 12 foot aluminum boats only weigh like 250 lbs.

I'm still kinda nervous though, I might go with a 5hp new outboard from tohatsu or something, it'll probably be underpowered.. but at least I'll be out on the water without constantly worrying about the motor dying/repairs.

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

That sounds like you got it. By the sounds of your original question I think you'd be better off with something brand new or this year's model from a dealer. Call some marinas and ask if they have some 2011-2012 outboards around. I'm not expert when it comes to small engines but buying used is risky and no warrenty. A reputable dealer will give you some peace of mind.

I have heard Tohatsu's are tough engines.

Good luck and remember me when you need someone else to come out with you in your boat.......lol. :D

#9 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

That sounds like you got it. By the sounds of your original question I think you'd be better off with something brand new or this year's model from a dealer. Call some marinas and ask if they have some 2011-2012 outboards around. I'm not expert when it comes to small engines but buying used is risky and no warrenty. A reputable dealer will give you some peace of mind.

I have heard Tohatsu's are tough engines.

Good luck and remember me when you need someone else to come out with you in your boat.......lol. :D/>/>/>

We'll see when the time comes, If i do buy used I'll follow your guys advice and go with something 90's or 2000's, probably mercury or johnson, I'll look for 9.9 hp but will settle for 8

3.5 is out of the question I think, as joel pointed out It'll be too slow of a boat; If i buy new I'll have to squeeze by with a 5 or 6 HP, but I'll have a small boat so I think it'll work.

When I buy a boat I'll be going every weekend, so I'll always need more fishing buddies

does anybody here own a 12 foot boat? most of the boats i'm looking at are rated for 10 HP max, do you think I could get by with 6?

there are a lot of 90's mercury motors for sale, so maybe I'll get lucky

#10 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

We'll see when the time comes, If i do buy used I'll follow your guys advice and go with something 90's or 2000's, probably mercury or johnson, I'll look for 9.9 hp but will settle for 8

3.5 is out of the question I think, as joel pointed out It'll be too slow of a boat; If i buy new I'll have to squeeze by with a 5 or 6 HP, but I'll have a small boat so I think it'll work.

When I buy a boat I'll be going every weekend, so I'll always need more fishing buddies

does anybody here own a 12 foot boat? most of the boats i'm looking at are rated for 10 HP max, do you think I could get by with 6?

there are a lot of 90's mercury motors for sale, so maybe I'll get lucky

I think in a 12' that a 6hp would be my minimum - if you have to get off the water quickly, it's good to have the power there, so even more is better. Nothing worse than chugging through rain and lightning.

#11 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

All boats (water craft) have a rating plate. This plate tells you it's capacity (how much gear or people) it can handle safely, and it's rated hp. Never exceed it, if it says it's rated for a 9.9hp, it's been designed for that as a max, anything less is ok. It's more difficult to estimate the craft's capacity with your gear. If your craft says the capacity is 600lbs, that will include everything, motor + tank + gas=100lbs (guess), you =180lbs, your big buddy 220lbs, plus 40lbs of gear. You are now up to 540lbs easily. The capacity tells you how much weight you can put into that boat and still safely run it without getting swamped and still allow the boat to run properly in relatively calm water. In rough water, if you are close to the max then you should not be on the water at all. For small craft weight and hp are major safety considerations.

What lake you plan to use it on? One member asked if it was ok to use his 12' aluminum with a 9.9hp on Lake St. Clair. He planned to head out 1 km offshore, I recommended he not do it. His boat is too small, too under powered for such a large body of water. He never replied, I hope nothing bad happend. Storms or just high waves come out of no where when you least expect it. A 12' belongs on small lakes or ponds where the waves don't get too bad.

I think my last words of advice were don't risk your life for a fish.......lol.

#12 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Thanks joel, I think you're right.. 6 would be pretty much the minimum and I'll have to be careful when i start to see storm clouds on the horizon.

and grubman, the biggest lake I'd imagine i'd take it on is something like six mile lake, or elliot lake if you know where that is.

I dont ever imagine being more than 3 or 4 hundred meters from shore, and im a pretty good swimmer:P

#13 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

We invested in some really good PFDs - Mustang Survival. They're really comfortable and we find ourselves wearing them more often than not now. Usually not when it's calm and sunny, but if there's a chop on the water, we're in them.

#14 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

We invested in some really good PFDs - Mustang Survival. They're really comfortable and we find ourselves wearing them more often than not now. Usually not when it's calm and sunny, but if there's a chop on the water, we're in them.

Yeah comfortable ones are really key, My friend has good ones and I actually wear those.. because of the comfort (my fathers I never wear, his boat is really stable though)

So after some consideration.. I'm leaning towards a new Tohatsu or Suzuki 6hp, I'm scared to buy used.

#15 Stu59

Stu59

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Try to find a marina and buy your motor from them. I have a '76 johnson 9.5 that I bought from central outboard in markham for $500 with the fuel tank, gas line and a complete service. They only sell motors that they have parts for and they always have a few new and old motors in the show room

#16 apz245

apz245

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Try to find a marina and buy your motor from them. I have a '76 johnson 9.5 that I bought from central outboard in markham for $500 with the fuel tank, gas line and a complete service. They only sell motors that they have parts for and they always have a few new and old motors in the show room

with the looks of my financial situation right now I might have to buy used despite the risk. would you mind giving me the name of the marina? thanks

#17 Stu59

Stu59

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Central Outboard Marine, is woodbine north of highway 7 In markham