Photo

OFF Ice Outing

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

Poll: Which lake? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you attend at the following location?

1. Simcoe (13 votes [28.26%])

Percentage of vote: 28.26%

2. Haliburton (7 votes [15.22%])

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

3. I would attend at either one, I just want to ice fish! (26 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

Which location would you prefer?

1. Simcoe (18 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. Up north (Haliburton or Muskoka) (17 votes [36.96%])

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

3. I don't have a preference (11 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I think it's time we plan an OFF ice outing.

Part of what made the 'Geen outing successful, was the highly sought after nature of steelhead.

As such, I don't think a plain 'ol perch outing would cut it. Ideally, the location should hold a highly desirable fish such as lake trout or splake, and hopefully a good mix of other species.

There are lots of lakes in Muskoka and Haliburton, and stocking lists are available from the MNR, so it should be pretty easy finding a suitable lake.

The smaller and further north, the sooner it will be fishable.

I am thinking mid January for the date.

Who's in?

#2 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

thats pretty far up for a lot of guys. simcoe would be a closer option,given it has some ice, with good size lakers and whites, or perch for those who desire.

#3 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

My backpack and myself r in. Sounds awesome

#4 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Great idea about the haliburton, but maybe simcoe would work better. Haliburton is 4 hours away from me and a couple of other guys. Simcoe has good whitefish and lakers too.

Just my two cents.

#5 muskyman

muskyman

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hey guys,

how about an OFF dual purpose outing, possibly a location close to an ice fishing location for one day, but close enough to a river for the next. Might be hard to find a location with both conditions closeby, but I'm just throwing it out there. :smile:

#6 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hey guys,

how about an OFF dual purpose outing, possibly a location close to an ice fishing location for one day, but close enough to a river for the next. Might be hard to find a location with both conditions closeby, but I'm just throwing it out there. :smile:/>

That'd be cool. Don't know if we could find a river that wasn't frozen and had biting fish though. Otherwise i like that idea.

#7 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

not everyone has gear for deep water or remote lakes. i think cooks bay would be perfect, lots of parking, short walk, lots of drilled holes, and good perch action with some occasional pike.

#8 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

The smaller lakes up north are going to be fishable sooner than simcoe. Last year guys couldnt really even get out into the big lake to fish whities or lakers at all i called EVERY hut rental place every couple weeks and they all said there wasnt enough ice. We could be waiting till febuary or march to fish the main part of simcoe for the "real" fish so further north seems like the best option.

#9 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

when i fish for lakers or whitefish i don't like to have people closer than 100' because the tangled line is the least i want.

#10 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ooo this sounds like fun! I have no experience in ice or anysort but I just got some ice gear and would love to come and learn!

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

where is the short walk on cooks? usually american vehicles to the train tracks in gilford. i was thinking Innisfil beach. perch in closer, whities and trout out a bit (or a quick sled or truck ride over to fox island)
i had a great year last winter for lakers and whities. fished from late jan to close. took my boat out on march 14 to where we "had" been ice fishin and hit 14 whities in 3 hours once i found them. i saw a lot of bigger (20+ pound) trout compared to previous years last winter, and the trollers seemed to do well this summer, so lets hope for some ice!!!

#12 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

As far as the distance to Haliburton, I think carpooling would go a long way towards alleviating the drive and cost of gas.

If a lot of people ended up coming, we can space out the holes accoridngly and if someone gets a laker on within close proximity to another hole, they can reel their lines up real fast and if they don't do it in time they can just cut their lines.

We would only need one auger, and a bathymetry map would be sufficient for targeting lakers, although if someone was able to bring a fish finder that would be helpful.

We could also just set 2 locations, one being a back up further north in case the closer one isn't safe.

#13 fishernick

fishernick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

I'm in for sure.....depending on the date, lol. I'm often in muskoka during the winter and has some great fishing but I could get down with whatever.

#14 muskyman

muskyman

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

i'll go wherever she goes

#15 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I will be adding a third question to the poll: How much money are you willing to contribute towards bringing her to drill our holes (1) $50 (2) $100 or (3) 250

I'd love to drill a hole in h....*edited for content*

#16 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

I will be adding a third question to the poll: How much money are you willing to contribute towards bringing her to drill our holes (1) $50 (2) $100 or (3) 250

I'd love to drill a hole in h....*edited for content*

Hell I'll drill the holes. I'll give her $60 for 4 lap dances......lol.

#17 muskyman

muskyman

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

you can find her at Barry's Bait and Burlesque hwy 11, knock on back door and slip a 10$ underneath :D/>

#18 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

I was actually thinking BBP for lakers and whities. BBP is ideal because of 90fow and a big drop off spot that is perfect location. Parking is about 20 to 25 cars if we are considerate. Btw. the jumbos are huge.

#19 GoWithTheFloat

GoWithTheFloat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

This trip keeps getting better and better!!!

#20 GoWithTheFloat

GoWithTheFloat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Is this what ice fishing is like?