Photo

OFF Ice Outing

• Please log in to reply
273 replies to this topic

Poll: Which lake? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you attend at the following location?

1. Simcoe (13 votes [28.26%])

Percentage of vote: 28.26%

2. Haliburton (7 votes [15.22%])

Percentage of vote: 15.22%

3. I would attend at either one, I just want to ice fish! (26 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

Which location would you prefer?

1. Simcoe (18 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

2. Up north (Haliburton or Muskoka) (17 votes [36.96%])

Percentage of vote: 36.96%

3. I don't have a preference (11 votes [23.91%])

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

i might be up the weekend after this one, shoot me a pm, how big were the specks you got?

#262 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

iight il shoot you a PM. Im heading up this weekend with bunch of friends probably haliburton goign to search for any back lake ice that is safe to fish. The specks I caught was pretty small but I came back the following week and see some guys caught a pretty good size one. 

#263 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Smaller type outing (smaller lake, fewer people, shorter notice) sounds good to me.

The solution for getting around someone having to disclose their honey hole is simple, we pick a random lake that has the desired target specie and give it a go. No guarantees we will catch, but hell that's a big part of the fun, trying new spots! If anyone wants to host an outing at a spot they know, that would be fine too..but not necessary. 

I drove passed a lot of frozen lakes on Sunday, sorry but I didn't have the time to drill any holes. I will try to drill some this coming weekend. From what I've heard, people are already ice fishing in the Kawarthas (but don't quote me on that). So Bancroft area should have good ice in 1-2 weeks, if not already.

So yes, count me in for an outing soon, somewhere north, with any species bigger than panfish (lakers, whities, rainbows, pike, walleye, etc as long as season is open).

#264 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

yep, we were up yesterday for crappies about an hour away and never fished the lake before, it took us a lot of holes and jigs to figure out that you need very light line and ounce we found the spot it was a blast! many lakes are good already the weekend after this one it should be good fore sure, we could go for bows and jumbos to a lake I've heard freezes early but I've never fished it myself, id rather try bows and jumbos then specks with a group, because they are very tough biters and are usually small and take waaaaay more time, lol.

#265 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Why not just plan 3 different outings??1 In later Dec, 1 in Jan IBP sounds good for that one and one in Late Feb. I can host that one on Lake Joe for Lake trout, Rainbow and Ling.

And as been stated before, if you can not make it that weekend or just do not want to..... do not come to that outting.

I would like to come to the IBP outting in Late Jan for Perch, I am pretty sure I know where that beach is, just anyone know roughly what parking will cost?

#266 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

Yes multiple outings is the way to go, seems like the Simcoe one will be the "main" one, as it's very close to the GTA and easy access.

I found a lake that would be perfect for a small outing, going to see what I can find regarding access tomorrow. It seems prime based on size/species/stocking list and location, just need to make sure it doesn't require a 1km hike with snowshoes to access!

Ok just checked, according to Google Satellite images we're looking at a 400m hike. Not too bad lol, I'm willing to invest in a pair of snow shoes to try this lake! The lake is  tiny    and holds 2 highly desirable species, both of them open all of December!

#267 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

Smaller type outing (smaller lake, fewer people, shorter notice) sounds good to me.

The solution for getting around someone having to disclose their honey hole is simple, we pick a random lake that has the desired target specie and give it a go. No guarantees we will catch, but hell that's a big part of the fun, trying new spots! If anyone wants to host an outing at a spot they know, that would be fine too..but not necessary. 

I drove passed a lot of frozen lakes on Sunday, sorry but I didn't have the time to drill any holes. I will try to drill some this coming weekend. From what I've heard, people are already ice fishing in the Kawarthas (but don't quote me on that). So Bancroft area should have good ice in 1-2 weeks, if not already.

So yes, count me in for an outing soon, somewhere north, with any species bigger than panfish (lakers, whities, rainbows, pike, walleye, etc as long as season is open).

Hey I like that idea sounds god we can all probably just pick a random lake. So if anyone deside to go up north im down 

#268 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

Why not just plan 3 different outings??1 In later Dec, 1 in Jan IBP sounds good for that one and one in Late Feb. I can host that one on Lake Joe for Lake trout, Rainbow and Ling.

And as been stated before, if you can not make it that weekend or just do not want to..... do not come to that outting.

I would like to come to the IBP outting in Late Jan for Perch, I am pretty sure I know where that beach is, just anyone know roughly what parking will cost?

hey Liger good suggestion but I think we can go early in first week of january in port bolster that part of the lake freeze fast and the perch there are huge. 

#269 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm in for the 22nd can't make 21st.

#270 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:22 AM

Lol im going on the weekend il let you guys know how I do hopefully theirs some safe ice in bancroft haliburton area 

#271 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yes multiple outings is the way to go, seems like the Simcoe one will be the "main" one, as it's very close to the GTA and easy access.

I found a lake that would be perfect for a small outing, going to see what I can find regarding access tomorrow. It seems prime based on size/species/stocking list and location, just need to make sure it doesn't require a 1km hike with snowshoes to access!

Ok just checked, according to Google Satellite images we're looking at a 400m hike. Not too bad lol, I'm willing to invest in a pair of snow shoes to try this lake! The lake is  tiny    and holds 2 highly desirable species, both of them open all of December!

Hey, ST, I'll lend you a pair if I can make it out. What general area?

#272 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hey, ST, I'll lend you a pair if I can make it out. What general area?

Kearney, but MNR put the kibosh on my plans, says the other "desirable specie" is falsely listed, it's not actually present. 

Still, I managed to find a handful of lake trout lakes with great potential. Some with heated huts for rent, some a little more backwoods. But they won't be prime until January. 

#273 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

a little north from there, i know quite a few holes for whities specks and lakers.

#274 Christopher K

Christopher K

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm good for up to a 2 km hike provided the snow isn't too deep. Let me know when you guys are thinking.