• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

the okuma aventa, sheffield and raw II are all on the same platform. all you are paying for is looks. same backplate, same spool same bearings. all that is different is the little plate that has the handle, and the colour. i have 2 sheffs and an aventa and they function the same.

#42 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

the okuma aventa, sheffield and raw II are all on the same platform. all you are paying for is looks. same backplate, same spool same bearings. all that is different is the little plate that has the handle, and the colour. i have 2 sheffs and an aventa and they function the same.

So the aventa is as good as the cheff, even though though the cheff is more money?

#43 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

The creek i was planning on using it in for chinook is more like 15 feet wide MAX, so the salmon wouldn't even have 40 yards to run.

oh they run in 5 inches of water full power, that is their programming to go up as fast as you can, they swim, mate and spawn then die with in 2-4 weeks. :) it'll be fun though. try not come out bleeding and bruised.

#44 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

oh they run in 5 inches of water full power, that is their programming to go up as fast as you can, they swim, mate and spawn then die with in 2-4 weeks. :) it'll be fun though. try not come out bleeding and bruised.

Lol

#45 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

I've had a 25+ pounder take me for a long walk on a small spinning rod with 4 pound test. When they go, they go and you're not stopping them.

#46 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Back to center pins please :)

#47 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Back to center pins please :)

Sorry, as I mentioned earlier check some online ratings. When I started looking I hadn't bought any fishing gear for years so I had me some sticker shock. Rod and reel are both important, reel maybe slightly more than rod for that controlled drift, but a decent rod makes a big difference IMO. I've caught 3 times out of my last 4 outings and attribute it to the new outfit and OFF advice. Success previously on the spin reel was like 1 fish per 24 hours fished, somewhat frustrating. Sounds like a lot of guys like the Okuma, real world advice can't be beat, I looked at it as I might as well spend the extra $75-$100 and bump up.

#48 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think i am going to buy an aventa (when the time comes).

No one seems to have a bad thing to say about them and it seems as if everyone has or started with one.

Kijiji or new, tis the question :razz:

#49 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

I think i am going to buy an aventa (when the time comes).

No one seems to have a bad thing to say about them and it seems as if everyone has or started with one.

Kijiji or new, tis the question :razz:

You just missed one in the classifieds.... 😎

#50 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hahaha you're a born salesman!

#51 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

lovin my aventa so far, bows and salmon are a ton of fun to catch on it. like people have said, you can always upgrade bearings, all CP function the same, its a spool on a pin

from my personnel experience, the bows take longer and faster runs than the salmon do, all the salmon i caught this year stayed in the pool where they were hooked

#52 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Now on to the rod:
I was looking at the rapala R-type float rod 11' 6" at sail 119$. It looked good quality.

Would 11 feet 6 inches be too small for the grand river? Would it be too big for western tribs like bronte?

For tiny creeks like bronte could switch the reel to my 9 foot steelhead rod.

Any other rod recommendations? I'm looking for a rod under $170... The raven matrix was $149 which is still in my price range.

#53 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

You said it's sold in the thread...????

#54 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Now on to the rod:
I was looking at the rapala R-type float rod 11' 6" at sail 119$. It looked good quality.

Would 11 feet 6 inches be too small for the grand river? Would it be too big for western tribs like bronte?

For tiny creeks like bronte could switch the reel to my 9 foot steelhead rod.

Any other rod recommendations? I'm looking for a rod under $170... The raven matrix was $149 which is still in my price range.

i use an 11'6 streamside rod, its pretty nice, bought it last year for under $100 brand new. my only complaint is it gets little heavy towards the end of day, i have seen the new streamside feather lights at gagnons here in oshawa, very light weight, around $170 i think

bigger river systems 11'6 might be a little short, for smaller creeks and streams, its just right

#55 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

i use an 11'6 streamside rod, its pretty nice, bought it last year for under $100 brand new. my only complaint is it gets little heavy towards the end of day, i have seen the new streamside feather lights at gagnons here in oshawa, very light weight, around $170 i think

bigger river systems 11'6 might be a little short, for smaller creeks and streams, its just right

Would a 9 foot rod be good for small creeks, or too short?

#56 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

It would be good if the 9 foot rod i currently have would be ok for small creeks, then i could buy a rod that's about 13' or so.

#57 riverhugger

riverhugger

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I use a 13 in the creeks in question all the time without any problems. 9' or 13' walking through forested areas with a fully assembled rod you have to be careful.

:mrgreen:

#58 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

streamside makes a 13ft winter rod for like 120, the 13 regular is about 100. i have a fenwick 12'6 HMX that has nice large guides for winter. it has lots of power to land nooks too.got mine for 90 bucks at al flatertys. i know a couple guys with them and all like them

#59 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I use a 13 in the creeks in question all the time without any problems. 9' or 13' walking through forested areas with a fully assembled rod you have to be careful.

:mrgreen:

Ya, i've found that out too. :mrgreen:

#60 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

streamside makes a 13ft winter rod for like 120, the 13 regular is about 100. i have a fenwick 12'6 HMX that has nice large guides for winter. it has lots of power to land nooks too.got mine for 90 bucks at al flatertys. i know a couple guys with them and all like them

Where is this flatertys?