• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I totally agree with you Noob, but its a sad fact that people will use this website and others for the complete opposite of what you stand for. Taking advantage of your hard work and time on the water.

looking for a clue on where the run is or that secret honey hole youve been fishing all your life. To do the complete opposite what a good angler should stand for.

Believe me im up for helping people, Im just not up for making it easier for the guys that don't do any good for the sport we all love.

#42 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Amen noob, amen. I in the past have been in the centre of a few heated threads. I since have choosen to ignore the past few arguments that have occured and will continue to do so. A general rule my mother taught me was " You havnt got something nice to say, dont say anything at all". Though sometimes there is a fine line between constructive critisism and being argumentative. And some people just take things the wrong way. Being a forum everything is typed out and sometimes its tough to figure out wether a fellow OFF'er means well or not. I have apologized to certain people through pm's whom a I believe deserve one, anybody else who believes they deserve an apology from me for anything, im sorry.

Hope and wish everyone a safe Hardwater season and a successful steelhead season. Lets all get along wether you swing a fly,CP,Spinning,Baitcaster or hybrid its all considerd angling!

#43 O.My.Buddy

O.My.Buddy

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Generally in agreement Noob but I do not want to see fishing become more popular...I'm glad the majority of people don't have time or interest or whatever to be on the spot I want to fish on any given day...I have seen various places and species get literally fished out to nothing from word getting around both on internet and off ...I know steelhead rivers that the MNR structured the regs such that they aren't listed explicitly in the regs and I think the MNR did that to keep the pressure off small to moderate runs say somebody posts on of those rivers on an internet, say somebody posts that river to the net, it kinda defeats the protection they're trying to give those fish...it's not even board members that's the issue, it's that the threads show up in google searches

#44 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Generally in agreement Noob but I do not want to see fishing become more popular...I'm glad the majority of people don't have time or interest or whatever to be on the spot I want to fish on any given day...I have seen various places and species get literally fished out to nothing from word getting around both on internet and off ...I know steelhead rivers that the MNR structured the regs such that they aren't listed explicitly in the regs and I think the MNR did that to keep the pressure off small to moderate runs say somebody posts on of those rivers on an internet, say somebody posts that river to the net, it kinda defeats the protection they're trying to give those fish...it's not even board members that's the issue, it's that the threads show up in google searches

BINGO

#45 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Noob if you were to actually go out any fish every now and then you would see how popular this sport truly is. Go to any river mouth on bass opener or any trib in the spring or fall or check out lake simcoe in the heat of the ice season. This sport is beyond popular!

Also ive noticed a steep drop in the number of posts on this site by experienced anglers and I think the reason for that is summed up by the mentality displayed in your post noob. I was the same way when I started out, I was pissed that all of these guys doing really well salmon and steelhead fishing wouldnt share any information with me. Then after putting in a good season of getting skunked and battling the crowds at the hot spots it became painfully obvious to me why anglers act the way they do.

#46 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

I agree with O.My.Buddy. Unless people realize the importance of catch and release, I don't want to see the sport get any more popular. Did you know the eastern tribs used to recieve runs in excess of 20,000 steelhead? Right now they barely get half of that.

#47 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Noob if you were to actually go out any fish every now and then you would see how popular this sport truly is. Go to any river mouth on bass opener or any trib in the spring or fall or check out lake simcoe in the heat of the ice season. This sport is beyond popular!

Also ive noticed a steep drop in the number of posts on this site by experienced anglers and I think the reason for that is summed up by the mentality displayed in your post noob. I was the same way when I started out, I was pissed that all of these guys doing really well salmon and steelhead fishing wouldnt share any information with me. Then after putting in a good season of getting skunked and battling the crowds at the hot spots it became painfully obvious to me why anglers act the way they do.

i believe the experienced anglers have stopped posting so much is because of threads like these which turn into heated arguments over nothing, its a major turnoff to anyone reading the posts on this site

#48 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

i believe the experienced anglers have stopped posting so much is because of threads like these which turn into heated arguments over nothing, its a major turnoff to anyone reading the posts on this site

In the last three months this site has gone to poop!

#49 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Cant we stop talkin about the b.s and get back to fishing talk? Why doesnt everyone just go to the OFF ice trip and we can all have one big OFF friendly derby and have a good time. People with beef between each other can hug it out!, or settle things in their own personal competiton. The sites gone to poop, right! But its only us who can fix it..

#50 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Noob I totally agree with what you're saying about being helpful to others and passing on the kindness, patience, and knowledge that has let us all enjoy fishing.

To you and to everyone else who is posting here though I have a question:

Are we only concerned about other people fishing at our spots (I know this isn't always ideal but we also have to learn to share our resources and interact in a friendly way)... or are we concerned about people lurking on these forums who will come to your spot AND do a number of illegal and unethical things such as littering, butchering fish without eating them. using illegal fishing techniques, poaching, generally disrespecting the sport and the environment etc... etc... ??

If you've seen my post in the suggestions forum you'll know that I requested a "closed" forum for contributors to share secluded bass waters, lure making tips etc...I did not do this to be a dick -- it would honestly be my pleasure to get to know anyone on this forum and talk about my spots etc... -- but I am legitimately concerned about people using this forum as a means to go to a great spot if they have no qualms about damaging ecosystems or breaking the regs.

Am I being paranoid or are these real problems you have all experienced? Feedback would be GREAT....thx.

#51 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I totally agree with you Noob, but its a sad fact that people will use this website and others for the complete opposite of what you stand for. Taking advantage of your hard work and time on the water. looking for a clue on where the run is or that secret honey hole youve been fishing all your life. To do the complete opposite what a good angler should stand for.

I agree that something has to be done about viewing posts if you are not a member. However I disagree with you about helping another member about giving them a clue. Maybe it just me who has any faith in fellow anglers.

Believe me im up for helping people, Im just not up for making it easier for the guys that don't do any good for the sport we all love.

I've only seen people who do good for our sport, but I don't head out to the piers in the fall or hit the tribs in the winter...

#52 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Cant we stop talkin about the b.s and get back to fishing talk? Why doesnt everyone just go to the OFF ice trip and we can all have one big OFF friendly derby and have a good time. People with beef between each other can hug it out!, or settle things in their own personal competiton. The sites gone to poop, right! But its only us who can fix it..

Yes please! Looking forward to the ice outing should be lots of fun

#53 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Yes please! Looking forward to the ice outing should be lots of fun

Agreed hopfully most can make it out and we can meet some new faces and catch aome fish!

#54 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I've never seen spots get totally fished out, but I've only shared bass spots, because I don't fish for steelhead. I have noticed that threads show up in google searches and still think the easiest way to solve all of our problems is to make it so that only a member can see threads.

#55 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Noob if you were to actually go out any fish every now and then you would see how popular this sport truly is.

Failed attempt at a stab? It's ok NADO I forgive you. :)

Go to any river mouth on bass opener or any trib in the spring or fall or check out lake simcoe in the heat of the ice season. This sport is beyond popular!

Where I fish for bass it is dead quiet...

Also ive noticed a steep drop in the number of posts on this site by experienced anglers and I think the reason for that is summed up by the mentality displayed in your post noob. I was the same way when I started out, I was pissed that all of these guys doing really well salmon and steelhead fishing wouldnt share any information with me.

I don't fish for steelhead...

Then after putting in a good season of getting skunked and battling the crowds at the hot spots it became painfully obvious to me why anglers act the way they do.

I got skunked and continue to get skunked but that doesn't mean that I think others should "suffer" as I did and get frankly I don't understand why you think they should "suffer".

#56 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yep, too much of this nonsense. Certain individuals causing drama over others fishing methods and equipment etc. I don't get it. :blink:

#57 RUSTY420

RUSTY420

Perch

• Active Members
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yep, too much of this nonsense. Certain individuals causing drama over others fishing methods and equipment etc. I don't get it. :blink:

100 %. I miss the core group of guys.

#58 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Noob I totally agree with what you're saying about being helpful to others and passing on the kindness, patience, and knowledge that has let us all enjoy fishing.

Thanks!

To you and to everyone else who is posting here though I have a question:

Are we only concerned about other people fishing at our spots (I know this isn't always ideal but we also have to learn to share our resources and interact in a friendly way)... or are we concerned about people lurking on these forums who will come to your spot AND do a number of illegal and unethical things such as littering, butchering fish without eating them. using illegal fishing techniques, poaching, generally disrespecting the sport and the environment etc... etc... ??

People are worried about both of those things.

If you've seen my post in the suggestions forum you'll know that I requested a "closed" forum for contributors to share secluded bass waters, lure making tips etc...I did not do this to be a dick -- it would honestly be my pleasure to get to know anyone on this forum and talk about my spots etc... -- but I am legitimately concerned about people using this forum as a means to go to a great spot if they have no qualms about damaging ecosystems or breaking the regs.

I agree with this 100%. A lot of other forums are doing this.

Am I being paranoid or are these real problems you have all experienced? Feedback would be GREAT....thx.

Never experienced having people come to spot's I've shared when people ask fish illegally but have however meet some new great people fishing legally at some spots I frequent.

#59 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

100 %. I miss the core group of guys.

#60 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

-"Core group": I don't know about you, but most of the guys from several months ago are still here and posting. The lack of fishing opportunities can leave steelheaders pretty rabid. Poor Schnip was getting eaten alive just a while ago. I doubt it would have happened during the salmon runs. Posting small spots publicly and online can do more bad than good. While it may help newbies, it can ruin it for the others. It is far more ethical not to post certain spots publicly. Basically, let all the anonymous newbies put in their own hard work and gain some true experience and maybe even some respect for the fishery.