Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Huge rip off.

#22 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

and to catfishes responce of its a waste of money well you only say that cause you cant afford one lol or maybe cause you havent tried one but dont worry the waste of money (in my opinion) you want to buy will do just fine lmao and like i have always said it does not matter what you use it all boils down to presentation and being in the right spot at the right time

#23 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

its not a huge ripoff gas prices are a huge ripoff lmao when you start getting into centerpin reels that is not alot of money there are some out there that make that seem cheap but i will say for that money go get a frogwater better buy not to bash kp since i own 5 of them but at that price you might as well look into a custom reel

#24 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Nice looking reel. I wouldn't personally pay that much for it, but if you have the money why not right? :cool:

#25 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

its not a huge ripoff gas prices are a huge ripoff lmao when you start getting into centerpin reels that is not alot of money there are some out there that make that seem cheap but i will say for that money go get a frogwater better buy not to bash kp since i own 5 of them but at that price you might as well look into a custom reel

one was not good enough? you bought 5? lol

I like the very shallow spool design, makes for a super fast start up if the spool is perfectly balanced, not sure if line bedding will be an issue without backing line.. earliest it is coming out is march. 750 plus tax is 848 for a reel sounds crazy. what you are saying on the river with one is; i have too much money to blow and i am showing off. like buying an iphone and only making phone calls with it. lol

#26 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

People will probably buy it simply because the price is high. It will give the illusion of superior quality. I highly doubt it's much better than the imperial to the point where it justifies the price. Heck, even the imperials are overpriced.

#27 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

People will probably buy it simply because the price is high. It will give the illusion of superior quality. I highly doubt it's much better than the imperial to the point where it justifies the price. Heck, even the imperials are overpriced.

I agree but sometimes is nice to have something that you really like and i do really like this CP. the looks mainly as far quality goes i am not sure , there is probably better CP. out there, heck i would nor get rid of my Okuma Sheffield for anything and i mainly got it because felt right in my hand later on i upgraded bearings and it is f...g amazing reel.

#28 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yup, some people drive Ferrari's. Because they are able to.
Some people drive ford tempo's. Because they have to.

Everyone still gets to where they're going in the long run tho.

#29 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

I agree but sometimes is nice to have something that you really like and i do really like this CP. the looks mainly as far quality goes i am not sure , there is probably better CP. out there, heck i would nor get rid of my Okuma Sheffield for anything and i mainly got it because felt right in my hand later on i upgraded bearings and it is f...g amazing reel.

did you do the bearing swap yourself? I am going to be upgrading mine as well soon.

#30 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

If it's the same as the aventa it's pretty easy.

#31 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

did you do the bearing swap yourself? I am going to be upgrading mine as well soon.

Yes i did, actually my company has machine shop and one of the guys that works there did it for me (he has all the tools necessary for that operation Posted Image) he is also fisherman.

#32 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

If it's the same as the aventa it's pretty easy.

Well I'm handy guy but i let somebody with more experience in that field to do it. I did not want to mess up my reel :)

#33 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

ill gut mine tonight and see whats up

#34 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

and to catfishes responce of its a waste of money well you only say that cause you cant afford one lol or maybe cause you havent tried one but dont worry the waste of money (in my opinion) you want to buy will do just fine lmao and like i have always said it does not matter what you use it all boils down to presentation and being in the right spot at the right time

Well i have never tried one but i will soon!! The most expensive reel i have is a $160 shimano curado baitcast reel and you know why? Because it works as well or better then $200 + baitcasters. Now i think youd see why i think thats a waste of money. Maybe 'a waste of money' is too harsh, so i'll back it down to way too much money :cool:

#35 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Spool on a pin...

One will suffice really imo...

The design source of the Zep is ethically questionable at best (buy Canadian custom if you have the $...RCG, Riverkeeper, AS, or even DeMarco)

The single and most critical consideration (before "how loooong it spins") is startup inertia...and most of today's reels are very good on that front.

jmo folks

cc

#36 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Spool on a pin...

One will suffice really imo...

The design source of the Zep is ethically questionable at best (buy Canadian custom if you have the $...RCG, Riverkeeper, AS, or even DeMarco)

The single and most critical consideration (before "how loooong it spins") is startup inertia...and most of today's reels are very good on that front.

jmo folks

cc

Well we just have to wait and see how long it spins. :) Lets not forget Englishmen have longer history using CP than Canadians. :)

#37 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I was debating whether or not I should purchase a Kingpin R2. As it turned out, a Kingpin representative helped me make that decision. Ironically, it was against making that purchase! I had privately discussed with him about my favourite model and colour that I was contemplating of ordering. Obviously, I was under the assumption that whatever was discussed between myself and the rep would remain confidential. To my dismay, however, I saw pictures of the exact product and colour discussed in my thread shortly after our conversation had ended. My trust in Kingpin’s services was broken, and I started to question its employees’ professionalism.

While I understand that pictures of any KP product can be seen on the KP website, it is common knowledge that only the hard core and serious buyers will be inclined to look it up on their own. Having pictures of that brand in my favourite colour on display on the public forum kind of took away from its novelty. I asked the rep more than once to remove that colour from my thread. Any other colour would have sufficed except for the colour that I had discussed with him in private. However, he refused and made excuses each time. My choice of reel colour is unique, hence my preference for it. This lack of professionalism demonstrated by the KP representative and a total disregard of customer’s feelings and sensitivities has left a bitter taste in my mouth. I am inclined to shun KP and its products from now on and take my business elsewhere.

#38 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

One among a myriad of questionable practices unfortunately

alas, purple isn't for everyone

Posted Image

#39 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

i dont think ill ever own a kingpin. too many great reels made here in southern ontario. riverkeepers, spahr, rivers edge, canada fishing reels ,rcg even paine falls across the border.lot of options for a lot less $$and you get to deal with the guy who makes the reel directly which is awesome. i think they should have called the zeppelin the "HINDENBURG"- full of hot air and about to crash and burn. jmo.....

#40 Float_On

Float_On

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

One among a myriad of questionable practices unfortunately

alas, purple isn't for everyone

Posted Image

Haha...
Can always settle for the islander in pink!