• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 hunted84

hunted84

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Mnr was doing patrols when they came across some guys trying to save their hut that went threw the ice so be safe and don't rush it

#2 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Shoooot. By next monday all ice will be gone and we will have open water. Seems like another frustrating winter

#3 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I was up in Clarmont, just north of Pickering, today. Lot's of farms and barely enough snow for them. I saw a news report last year that farmer's need atleast 3 ft of snow for the spring melt to moisten the earth. Without it they'll have to rely on irrigation from underground wells. That cost more for them and gets passed on to the consumer.

I would have hoped that far north would have lot's of ice on the lake, 2-3 ft at the very least. Hope all are safe.

#4 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I was up in Clarmont, just north of Pickering, today. Lot's of farms and barely enough snow for them. I saw a news report last year that farmer's need atleast 3 ft of snow for the spring melt to moisten the earth. Without it they'll have to rely on irrigation from underground wells. That cost more for them and gets passed on to the consumer.

I would have hoped that far north would have lot's of ice on the lake, 2-3 ft at the very least. Hope all are safe.

Never thought that snow fall would affect farmers... Test the ice and watch them ice reports before doing anything stupid guys...

#5 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Lol sounds dangerous

#6 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Ouch!
Ouch!
First is for the ice, seems like a wasted season (I am getting my boat ready)
Second is for the price of veggies and produce that we are gonna pay more.
Nevertheless, they both suck!

#7 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

I'm not a fan of snow, b/c I have to shovel it......lol. But the farmers really need it the most. So do the lakes, that's why our lakes were so low this past summer. But I've also heard that most lakes start to freeze from shore, this is very general, but when shore ice seems thick that does not mean 50 yards out will be just as thick. In some cases it will be very thin.

Have to be very careful.

Make ice grabbers: Take a old wood broomstick cut into 2 pieces 6 inch long, drill small pilot hole in center core of each piece, get 2 deck nails (3 1/2 inch ardox) hammer into drilled holes, cut off head of nail to leave a sharp point. If you fall thru ice use to dig into the ice to pull yourself out. Keep rope with you and never travel alone.

#8 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Did you see this on the news or come across it online? Id like to see it

#9 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Make ice grabbers: Take a old wood broomstick cut into 2 pieces 6 inch long, drill small pilot hole in center core of each piece, get 2 deck nails (3 1/2 inch ardox) hammer into drilled holes, cut off head of nail to leave a sharp point. If you fall thru ice use to dig into the ice to pull yourself out. Keep rope with you and never travel alone.

Good advise Grub,
Never gonna know until you need it.

#10 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Did you see this on the news or come across it online? Id like to see it

It was either the Weather Network or the news from last year. The farmer predicted a tough season of growing without more snow.

Good advise Grub,
Never gonna know until you need it.

I saw a pair of nested ice "grabber/crawler", Here is a drawing I made of nested (they close into each other so you stab yourself). Put them on a lanyard around your neck and they are ready anytime. Paint them bright orange. Someone sells them, but so easy to make it.

Attached Files

#11 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I read that the hut that went down on nipissing was a heavy overnight hut. That doesnt make things any better but I may be safe for walking and pop up fishing

#12 hunted84

hunted84

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

http://www.moosefm.c...-lake-nipissing

#13 hunted84

hunted84

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

That's the link

#14 hunted84

hunted84

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I was. Mistaking it was the opp doing patrols

#15 AKnook

AKnook

Perch

• Active Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Bummer. I didn't start ice fishing until moving to Alaska. I really enjoy fishing the hard water and would be pretty bummed to have winters where I couldn't even get out. I was out on a lake last Sunday with over 22 inches of ice. When winter arrives, the ice is always there. Just wait it out a bit for safe ice and it doesn't stop growing from there. I feel for you hard water fisherman trying to scratch the itch. Not worth risking your lives though thats for sure.

#16 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Amen, I wish it was like the good ol' days when it wasn't "if" it was going to freeze it was "when" is it going to freeze!*sigh*

#17 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

It looks like Lady Simcoe might be mostly open water for the rest of the season.

#18 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

I guess evryone including MNR, Municipalities, Fishrman, Etc. Have their own set of Rules as to what's Safe and what Isn't. (Chart Below).

But! You know the REAL RULES! When it comes to Mother Nature there ain't any!

Pics below have an explanation on them, or Below with the File and Size.

The one that might prove my point is the one from Last Year with the Helicopter. 24 Seasoned, Veteran, Fisherman, fishing on 6" of ice.

I read the article. They said "We aren't Stupid (I AGREE) but all of a sudden the ice just started moving in all directions. All we could do was look for the biggest piece and Jump onto it. All our Huts and Equipment went to the Bottom."

The truck, SUV was on 12" of ice. Moving or Parked I don't know. Heat from the Motor if Parked?

The other one has an explanation with it. That's this Past Monday on the Muskinonge River. Think I recognise the area. In the Background, you can't see, is Boston Pizza where the Marina use to be.

Think I'll stick with "Soft Water Fishing". All that can happen then is you fall out of the boat and Drown.:mellow:

SHOOT! Well maybe Shore Fishing??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rick

#19 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Oh man, just when you think it's safe to enter the ice.......lol. Glad no one died.

Attached Images

• 1A1b Lake Simcoe 12 inches Of Ice.JPG

#20 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

From what Ive been reading it looks like most of the operators are removing there big ice condos from the lake until this warm weather passes and the ice returns to safe conditions. Day huts are still available however.