33 replies to this topic

#21 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 AM

Thanks Graham
I have the itch now......lol. Idle hands you know? I'll look into the symposium, March is so far away......lol. It sounds pretty good. So does the Winter Hatches FF Club. The members of NFN meet up for a fly tying session on Thursday nights, but that's just too far for me. This one is in Toronto. Is there one on the east side that you know of? I'm in Scarborough.

Thanks again for your input.

#22 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I was planning on going this weekend but I'm not available now.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in hitting up the Fergus store some time in the future for this course?? A little closer than the T.O store.

Cheers

#23 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

I was planning on going this weekend but I'm not available now.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in hitting up the Fergus store some time in the future for this course?? A little closer than the T.O store.

Cheers

Might be down for that, feb 2nd is another one

#24 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I just got back. It was great. Sheldon was the instructor. Hugo was minding the store. Even as a basic course it does form the foundation of how to tie up most other materials. The priciples and techniques are very similar. For anyone wanting to tie their own flies for themselves and friends; this course was well worth it. I would consider taking the intermediate courses in the future, for the more difficult flies. For now I'm gonna pratice practice and more practice.

Edit: Thanks Fishingnoob for coming. Hope you gained as much as I did from the course.

#25 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

I just got back. It was great. Sheldon was the instructor. Hugo was minding the store. Even as a basic course it does form the foundation of how to tie up most other materials. The priciples and techniques are very similar. For anyone wanting to tie their own flies for themselves and friends; this course was well worth it. I would consider taking the intermediate courses in the future, for the more difficult flies. For now I'm gonna pratice practice and more practice.

Edit: Thanks Fishingnoob for coming. Hope you gained as much as I did from the course.

You bet I did! Learned a lot in the course. Would recommend it to any beginner fly tier.

#26 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

That's great, glad to hear it. I've read books and seen a few videos but Sheldon's knowledge is literally priceless. Abel and I stayed looking around the materials and asking Hugo even more questions and talking fishing with him. It was a great day. Abel and I just bought a few more supplies.......lol. :D I think I'll be down there again before the 20% off sale ends........lol. Yeah I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to tie their flies. I'm keeping his fly a secret, I think he only passes it onto those who take his course.....lol. ;)

Glad to have met up with you.

#27 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

from the sounds of it, you guys had a good time, too bad i couldn't make it,trying to get some info on fly tying courses out this way

#28 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Sounds good to hear that the course went well and its worth it.

If anyone is interested in doing this course at the Fergus store I'd be up for that, not entirely sure of the schedule for that store but I'll look into it if others are interested.

Cheers

#29 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

As long as you can round up 3 people to go then they'll set up the course for you. At first I looked on their site and nothing was scheduled, I just called and booked it, they are very cool with that. I'm guessing Sheldon is from the Fergus store. He's very professional, answering all our questions and giving us alot of tips on tying and catching.

It was a great time and we had fun, picked up alot of info, wish I had written most of down......lol. I got more material and just finished tying up a mouse fly.........yeah bass look out......lol.

You won't regret it. It's a great store too, just geared to fly fishing and fly tying, awesome stuff there, bring kleenex to wipe your drool........lol.

#30 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ok so it looks like Coldhands and I are looking for at least one more person that might be interested in taking this course on a Saturday in February. Let either one of us know if your interested and we'll make the call to do it.

I want to start using this room I'm currently finishing to its full capacity!!

Cheers

#31 RobH

RobH

Sunfish

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Ok so it looks like Coldhands and I are looking for at least one more person that might be interested in taking this course on a Saturday in February. Let either one of us know if your interested and we'll make the call to do it.

I want to start using this room I'm currently finishing to its full capacity!!

Cheers

If you guys can put together 3 or 4 guys, we can do the course in Fergus at just about any time, including evenings so you don't have to limit yourselves to the scheduled classes.
Cheers,
Rob

#32 coldhands

coldhands

Sunfish

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

If you guys can put together 3 or 4 guys, we can do the course in Fergus at just about any time, including evenings so you don't have to limit yourselves to the scheduled classes.
Cheers,
Rob

This sounds better for me, I'm busy most Saturdays right now so would definitely prefer a weekday evening. Anyone else in?

#33 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yeah I'm in for a weekday but I usually don't get home until at least 5 or 6 so not sure that will work with the hours of the shop.....

#34 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

3 guys/people is ideal, it was for me. We each had time to ask questions and Sheldon had time to watch each of us. He is very professional in mannerisim, skill and was very encouraging, everything you'd want and expect in an instructor.

I think you guys will really enjoy the course.

Cheers